Took my weave out and I want to cry....

RabiaElaine

Yesterday I went to remove my second weave. I decided that I did not want to put another one in to give my hair some rest from the weave and to see what progress I had made.

Well my hair thinned out so much, you can see right through it. I had to trim it off to the bottom of my neck. It really needs some more trimming but I could not bear to part with that much yesterday. I'm so upset

The only good thing is that my hair is almost the same lenght all around. But its thin. I think what happended is that the tracks pulled the hair close to the root when combing the attached hair and it broke, and maybe also more breakage occured when the tracks were being removed.

So for right now I'm protective styling with a bun, which I learned from DontSpeakDefeat, thanks girl
. I feel like I have no hair now, and that I've been put a year back in terms of progress. This sucks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping whatever length I have now, and to increase the growth process.

I'm thinking about conditioner washing every 2-3 days.

Let me know your opinions thanks.

(sorry so long).

Karonica

You'll be able to know for sure whether your hair has really thinned significantly or not after about the third shampoo. Sometimes, it may appear that way because of the shedding that takes place and the fact that you haven't seen your hair in however long you had it in.

Do you have fine hair? And how was your hair cornrowed? Sometimes, fine hair can't take the weight of wefted tracks.

asummertyme

some stylists have a tendency to cornrow your hair so tight u start seeing your hair coming out by the root...that is why i do my own...i never braid my hair tight ,when i used to get my weaves done, i always saw mega brekedge, my hair never made any progress.

RabiaElaine

Katie and Karonica,

It was a sew in. I do have naturally thin hair, that is really coarse. I know what your saying about waiting until I wash my hair a couple of times. But I can see where the hair broke when combing sections of it straight up some of it broke half way down the shaft others broke even shorter, so now the ends that didn't break look really thin. I decided to keep these ends because I think I can retain them with constant care, while I wait for the others to grow back.

I think you are right about my hair not being able to handle the tracks. What is funny is that my hair does well with braids. I guess I'm still learning my hair, I can't wear weaves I guess.

Any suggestions for styles and maintenance as well as growth. I really need to take some pictures to show you all.

Karonica

In the meantime, I think you should wear styles that you don't have to fuss over. How often do you wash your hair? Because if you wash your hair once per week, you can leave the style in longer, lessening the chance of you have to rake through your hair. There are a number of styles to choose from. Flexi curls last pretty long, my co-worker kept hers in for two weeks.
The less you're toying with your hair, the better. I totally understand where you're coming from.
I'm also an advocate of Sensationnel Instant Weaves for people who want a new look without the hassle and damage.

RabiaElaine

[ QUOTE ]
asummertyme said:
some stylists have a tendency to cornrow your hair so tight u start seeing your hair coming out by the root...that is why i do my own...i never braid my hair tight ,when i used to get my weaves done, i always saw mega brekedge, my hair never made any progress.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are probably right she did braid them really tight and used synthetic hair in the braids to thicken them.

Wow I can't believe you do your own weaves. They look great.

Karonica

Yeah, the synthetic hair is supposed to toughen up the cornrows, but if your hair is fine, it may be adding more stress to the roots. It sounds like she braided them too tight to begin with.

RabiaElaine

Hi Karonica,

I wash my hair about once a week to a week and a half. So do you think that conditioner washes every 2-3 days are not a good idea for me??

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
In the meantime, I think you should wear styles that you don't have to fuss over. How often do you wash your hair? Because if you wash your hair once per week, you can leave the style in longer, lessening the chance of you have to rake through your hair. There are a number of styles to choose from. Flexi curls last pretty long, my co-worker kept hers in for two weeks.
The less you're toying with your hair, the better. I totally understand where you're coming from.
I'm also an advocate of Sensationnel Instant Weaves for people who want a new look without the hassle and damage.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where can I pick up this instant weave.

DSTcutie

Rabia,

another way to relieve the stress of the weave on your own hair is to conrow your own hair from front to back INSTEAD of from side to side. This stops serious shedding.

I'm sorry you had to experience this.
maybe you should deal with regular braids for the summer, and take some biotin...this will definitely help thicken your hair.

Karonica

Denali, you gotta call around first, but a lot of BSS may sell them. Either that or Outre's.
Just make sure you buy one that stretches. I bought a Sensationnel one that was defective and it had no elastic.

Rabia, conditioner washes may be a good idea, they add elasticity. But if your hair is really weak when it's wet, you may need something stronger and heavy duty. What that is, I don't know.
I don't know much about super protein conditioners and all that stuff. Sorry.

RabiaElaine

Front to back method?? How does that work? Are the tracks sewed in Front to back?? Why do you think this helps?

Thanks for all the responses ladies.:)

Karonica

My mom cornrows her hair from front to back and I just sew the wefts on horizontally. It sounds weird, but it's really easy, except you're not sewing on the cornrow, but straight across them. This means less weight on the hair when you think about it.

RabiaElaine

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
My mom cornrows her hair from front to back and I just sew the wefts on horizontally. It sounds weird, but it's really easy, except you're not sewing on the cornrow, but straight across them. This means less weight on the hair when you think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that would kind of spread the weight out a bit. Does the weave end up looking the same??

Karonica

I've never used any other method on my mother's hair, but this works great for short hair, and I've practiced it on mine, but it's the same ole weave.
You just have to make sure the cornrows aren't done really thick to avoid bulk. Oh, and this method can be a hassle when it comes to shampooing, but it's so much easier to do.

Lorraine

I am very sorry to hear that. Try a protein treatment and avoid heat for at least a couple of weeks if you can. Also, take plenty of vitamins daily for hair and nails. I also "Surged" daily when I removed my weave.

Hope that helps.

RabiaElaine

I've been surging for about 3 weeks now, and so far a like it. I hope that and my intense vitamin regimen, will help me to attain more new growth fast. I'm thinking about adding visical.

Dutchess

I totally understand what you're going through, I went through the same thing when I wore braids several year ago. I wasn't moisturizing my hair in braids, so when I took them out my hair was dry and broke the hair during the manipulation. Were you moisturizing your braided hair in the weave?

blackhair

Rabia
Were you conditioning your hair while in weave ? With what ? It happened to me once with braids -The only difference between you and me is that I REALLY CRIED.
I mixed WGO and Surge and maybe was overconditionning my braids. When I took them out the hair was so limp and thin.
I was so sad. Try the Biotin Shampoo from Nexxus. It might help.

RabiaElaine

Blkhair and Dutchess,

I washed and conditioned my hair once per week while in braids. I also surged the scalp and applied oil to scalp right after. I oiled the tracks every couple of days. Maybe i needed to apply it every day or 2x per day. My scalp was pretty much always moisturized.

For those of you who do front to back braiding w/ the weave, do you use synthetic hair to thicken up the braides?? I'm thinking maybe that hair wasn't letting the oil into my hair...

Let me know what you think.

Karonica

No, I don't like adding synthetic hair to the cornrows at all. I tried it on my own, and it made my scalp itch.
If the hair is course and strong, there's no need for it, in my opinion.

RabiaElaine

yeah maybe not now, considering i will be doing straight back cornrows and sewing the weave across them.

If I do a weave again, I'm going to wait a couple of months. I need to strengthen and thicken my hair again. Maybe do it in the fall and winter when my hair needs rest anyway.

SherryLove

I am sorry you had to experience this, but it was a lesson well learned; and all you can do is move forward with better haircare regimen that will enable your hair to grow back healthy.....

stacia

I am the same way in that I can't wear a weave. I've tried a couple of times and it always broke my hair off badly. However, my hair does wonderful with braids and I have regrown my hair with braids on several occasions.
I would do protective styles and for go any heart for awhile. I hope all goes well, trust me I feel your pain.

RabiaElaine

Thanks ladies. I'm starting to feel a little better. My bun looks good today, once again thanks to dontspeakdefeat. Her album shows how to do a wonderful "assisted bun" as she calls it. I'm going to try this for a while and see how my ends do.

I'm just concerned about doing buns when my coarse new growth start coming in thick, week 3 and week 4 post relaxer, with everyone being able to see my kitchen with the hair back. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

AnnDriena_

Protein,Protein, Protein. Eat all the protein you can. One member said it gave her 2 inches of new growth in one month. Hair IS protein. so maybe that will help. Sorry about your loss, but you'll bounce right back. Anybody dedicated enough to be on this board is off to a good start.