Took my Sew In out Last Night...

divinefavor

I am so glad that I decided to let one of my friends take out the sew in. There's no way I would have been able to take it out myself without doing some harm to my hair. I wore the sew in for 4 1/2 weeks and I am happy to report that from what I can tell I do not have any breakage or excessive thinning. Amandita is very talented, so much so that my friend kept saying whoever did this weave did such an excellent job.

I washed, deep conditoned, conditioned, blow dried and flat ironed my hair this evening. It doesn't look like there's been any damage at all done to my hair from the sew in. Perhaps I won't really be able to assess my hair until I get a touch up.

I will be getting a sew in again. I will also be using the sew in as a way to grow my hair and as a protective style. I was thinking of getting the weave again in two weeks in time for my birthday trip to Vegas. However, I'm not quite sure what I should do. I will be 17 weeks post on Friday and I have quite a bit of new growth. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and relax next week (I initially was going to wait until week 24 for a touch up) and get the sew in again in November. Decisions, Decisions.

Thanks LHCF for being there with me when I was contemplating getting the sew in.

lisana

That's wonderful news to hear. I'm so glad you did not suffer any damage. I think that a 17 week stretch is wonderful. If you decide to relax, maybe you should wait another week and then do it. It seems like the weave is going to work out really well for you. I can't wait to see your process. :)

ItsyBitsy

WOW! The time went by sooo fast..I can't believe it's been almost 5 weeks. I'm glad you don't have any damage or breaking. Can't wait to see progress pictures.

divinefavor

Lisana - girl, I am glad I didn't suffer damage as well. Thanks. If I decide to relax next week, I will definitely be waiting at least 3-4 weeks before putting the weave in again.

Itsy - didn't it go by so fast!

ayoung

Girl, I got my new sew in done today and took ur pic (hope u don't mind:look:) to my stylist b/c ur style was soooo cute.

I'm using sewins to grow my hair too!!

When wearing all of ur hair sewn up in a Full Head--ur don't even have to worry about relaxing and touch ups.

But if you want some of ur hair out in the front--u can have her just relax that part. That is what I do and have not had any problems.

Pics! Pics! of ur new install when u get it!

divinefavor

Thanks girl!

The only reason why I was thinking of relaxing is because of all of the new growth when washing my hair after taking out the sew in. Sometimes, I'm so lazy and it took about 3 hours to do my hair, because I was making sure to be careful with detangling. Plus I want my hair to look decent for the couple weeks in between sew ins.:lachen: What are you doing to your hair in between sew ins? Please provide any suggestions you may have about detangling and keeping the new growth soft.

I more than likely will not relax and will be giving Amandita a call to schedule an appointment to get it done on the 17th (the day before my birthday).

Thanks!

Girl, I got my new sew in done today and took ur pic (hope u don't mind:look:) to my stylist b/c ur style was soooo cute.

I'm using sewins to grow my hair too!!

When wearing all of ur hair sewn up in a Full Head--ur don't even have to worry about relaxing and touch ups.

But if you want some of ur hair out in the front--u can have her just relax that part. That is what I do and have not had any problems.

Pics! Pics! of ur new install when u get it!

loved

Glad to hear there was no damage.

I took a sew in out about a week ago, and there was no damage to my hair from the weave (except the blended part), but I should have put my hair in plaits before I washed it and washed in the tub w/ my hair going back or in the shower to avoid the massive tangles that I got w/ all the new growth.

You can probably gauge how much new growth you can take before it hits this point. I am going to try it once more, but w/ a better washing technique.

divinefavor

Glad to hear there was no damage.

I took a sew in out about a week ago, and there was no damage to my hair from the weave (except the blended part), but I should have put my hair in plaits before I washed it and washed in the tub w/ my hair going back or in the shower to avoid the massive tangles that I got w/ all the new growth.

You can probably gauge how much new growth you can take before it hits this point. I am going to try it once more, but w/ a better washing technique.

I had a couple really small sections, where I could tell that the new growth was starting to wrap around itself. Perhaps that's a sign that I do need to relax now and then wait maybe 4 weeks before getting another sew in. I don't know, I'm sure I'll figure it out soon. :grin:

Wow that's a great idea, I never thought to wash my hair in plaits. I washed in the shower this time with all of my hair hanging down.

SunnyDelight

That time really flew by. I'm so happy that it worked out for you and didn't cause any damage. I've learned so much about hair and taking care of it while wearing weaves for protection so I love them.

Happy birthday, have fun in Vegas (I just got back from there) and enjoy "swangin'" your next weave.

divinefavor

That time really flew by. I'm so happy that it worked out for you and didn't cause any damage. I've learned so much about hair and taking care of it while wearing weaves for protection so I love them.

Happy birthday, have fun in Vegas (I just got back from there) and enjoy "swangin'" your next weave.

Thanks Sunny!!

kandegirl

I'm glad the sewn-in worked for you. I use them on myself and do other peoples and as long as you take care of your hair underneath, they are a great protective style. I ususally go six months w/o a relaxer with weaves so you should be o.k. getting another one. But if you think the new growth will be too much to handle after you next weave is removed, I say DC you hair for a few weeks and do a reconstructor and get a relaxer.

Keep us updated on what you decide.

gabulldawg

Hey Divinefavor!! I'm so glad that everything worked out well for you! I told you Amandita can hook it up! I'm debating over whether i want another sew-in. I just couldn't take the itching!! :blush:

divinefavor

Kandegirl! Thanks for those tips! I think I'm leaning more towards getting another sew in. When it's time to take the next one out...I wil be right at about 6 months post. I wish there was something I can do to make it more easier to handle the new growth while washing my hair again this weekend and next weekend. I can always go to Balisi and let her do the Mizani Thermasmooth treatment. The last time she put one in my hair I was about 11 weeks post, when I walked out of there you would of swarn that I just gotten a relaxer. However, I wanted to see if there was something I could do myself, afterall I will be spending some money to get my weave put in. I don't want to spend more money just to keep my hair maintained before getting the sew in again. I could always go and purchase a human hair wig as well to wear before getting my next sew in. I have two synthetic wigs, after wearing a sew in I'm now so used to the human hair look. :yep:

gabulldawg - girl you were so right! She did hook me up! She told me the day that she put it in to not be scared and don't worry and that my hair will not be damaged. She was so right!!!

Last edited:

ayoung

hey df,

I since i don't relax my hair when wearing them (or i just do the front which is out) i don't wait. I have tons of newgrowth and my hair is thick and I don't want to bother with keeping it from breaking at the line of demarkation--so i keep it sewn.

But, the few times i had to wait--I basically did a protein treatment and a good moist. DC. Rollerset it and then flat ironed my roots. That works pretty well.

I can still look cute:look: while waiting for my next install:grin:
Thanks girl!

The only reason why I was thinking of relaxing is because of all of the new growth when washing my hair after taking out the sew in. Sometimes, I'm so lazy and it took about 3 hours to do my hair, because I was making sure to be careful with detangling. Plus I want my hair to look decent for the couple weeks in between sew ins.:lachen: What are you doing to your hair in between sew ins? Please provide any suggestions you may have about detangling and keeping the new growth soft.

I more than likely will not relax and will be giving Amandita a call to schedule an appointment to get it done on the 17th (the day before my birthday).

Thanks!