Took my braids out and my hair is now yuck

RainbowCurls

Right, so my first mistake was underestimating how much the build up would tangle my hair.
But a lot of shampoos, co-washes, ACV rinses and conditions later, I could finally get a comb through my hair.

But now my hair just looks awful.
It's all flat on the top, super frizzy, curls are ill-defined and stringy.

Does anyone know why this is?

Do I still have build up in my hair, should I clarify some more?
Or is the frizzyness due the amount I washed it after taking out the braids, does it need deep conditioning?
Should I shampoo a few times or stick with co-washing?

What does everyone else usually do to their hair after braids to get it back to normal?

I wanted to BC soon but I can't while my hair is looking like this.

Blaque*Angel

sorry to hear your post braids experience.

this never happens to me, please list your regime whilst in braids and how long you left the braids in for, Den1 has a lovely detailed album including the crown and glory method. maybe you can check that out before you braid again.

Was your hair also shedding?

RainbowCurls

Thanks for the replies.
I had the braids in for just over a month.
I shampood around every week (4-5) times overall I think, and used braid spray a few times (not many). I didn't use conditioner, I thought it would add to the build up.
There was some shedding, but I don't think it was an abnormal amount.
I don't think I'll be getting braids again. The whole experience has been hassle for me.

I will try a deep condition tonight... with Dark & Lovely Ultra Cholesterol (I think that's moisturising... correct me if I'm wrong though, and I'll just use Humectress)

RabiaElaine

PerfectDoak said:
Thanks for the replies.
I had the braids in for just over a month.
I shampood around every week (4-5) times overall I think, and used braid spray a few times (not many). I didn't use conditioner, I thought it would add to the build up.
There was some shedding, but I don't think it was an abnormal amount.
I don't think I'll be getting braids again. The whole experience has been hassle for me.

I will try a deep condition tonight... with Dark & Lovely Ultra Cholesterol (I think that's moisturising... correct me if I'm wrong though, and I'll just use Humectress)

That's strange that this happened to you after only having in braids for a month. I have never had this problem from braids.

I always remove the build up using the crown and glory method while I take out each individual braid.

Maybe it was the products you were using while in the braids...i don't know though.

I would deep condition, and moisturize hair. That should get it back into shape.

RainbowCurls

I made the mistake of wetting my hair before attempting to get rid of the build up though. I thought it would be easier with my hair saturated with conditioner... how wrong was I!

To shampoo I used Bio Amla shampoo most of the time, and the braid spray was an African Price one. Nothing too greasy, full of cones etc.

Oh well... I'll let you know how the deep conditioning goes...

kandegirl

PerfectDoak said:
Right, so my first mistake was underestimating how much the build up would tangle my hair.
But a lot of shampoos, co-washes, ACV rinses and conditions later, I could finally get a comb through my hair.

But now my hair just looks awful.
It's all flat on the top, super frizzy, curls are ill-defined and stringy.

Does anyone know why this is?

Do I still have build up in my hair, should I clarify some more?
Or is the frizzyness due the amount I washed it after taking out the braids, does it need deep conditioning?
Should I shampoo a few times or stick with co-washing?

What does everyone else usually do to their hair after braids to get it back to normal?

I wanted to BC soon but I can't while my hair is looking like this.

I've had buid-up before. Make sure you get it out before you start co-washing again. I used lemon juice to get it out of my hair. I was nervous at first b/c my hair was sticky but I remember reading a magazine that said use lemon juice for build up. Just let it set on your hair for a few minutes and use a clarify shampoo like Suave. And try a light condition. Try using light conditioners or hot oil treatments until all the build-up leaves. And then go back to using deep conditioners and protective styles for about a month to get your hair back to normal.

Cheleigh

I had this problem too when I had braids in for six weeks. Photos of that disaster are somewhere in my transitioning albums.

I think that my hair doesn't like the extension hair AT ALL. If I braid again, I'll either try to soak the hair first in water and vinegar (crown & glory) or I'll only braid my natural hair.

It took my hair about a week of deep conditioning (moisturizing only--no protein, adding honey, EVOO) and keeping in overnight with a plastic cap) for my hair to recover.

I would moisturize for a few hours with a warm damp towel around my head every other night and use a Deman or wide tooth comb to detangle.

RainbowCurls

Thanks.

OK, I've just shampooed with clarifying shampoo and left it in for a few mins to 'work' so any build up should be out by now.
I then did a co-wash and am waiting for my hair to dry a bit then I'll deep condition (I hear deep conditioning works better on dry hair).

What's weird is, my hair is drying really fast, it usually takes ages. I'm not sure if that's just due to the warmer weather. The relaxed ends still seem to be holding on to the water though (while the natural hair is drying quickly...)

It's frizztastic right now. I tried to take a picture to demonstrate just how frizzy it is but its not coming across.

You can see those stringy relaxed ends though... they need chopping - soon!

I'm going to deep condition every night for a week. (I'll try to anyway)

Cheleigh - I did the vinegar thing! I'm going to check out your album now...

bluenude

putting water on buildup before proper removal or detangling is a recipe for disaster. that happened to me a few years ago and caused such a tangled horrible mess that i ended up cutting most of it out. next time you get braids always remove any buildup first on dry hair before wetting the hair

YasmanSoBe

I would suggest finish pooing/conditiong/whatever you're doing for today, and then leave your hair alone for a few days. Put it in a bun and leave it alone.

My hair looked a HAM when I unbraided my hair from having a sew-in. My hair looked soooo thin. I thought I had done some serious damage. However, I washed/deep conditioned, styled and left alone for a few days. Afterwards, I washed/conditioned again, and my hair "bounced back." I looked like it did before I got the sew-in.

HTH

RainbowCurls

bluenude said:
putting water on buildup before proper removal or detangling is a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, if only I'd known this.

Anyway, my hair is a lot softer and less frizzy after deep conditioning. Hopefully it'll curl properly again after a few more treatments.