Too complicated or not complicated enough?

changedname

Hello everyone!

I'm a Newbie, although I've been lurking for months now. I've already incorporated some of the tips given on this site and my hair is in the best condition ever! I currently have a relaxer, although I'd been natural up until the age of 18. I permed my hair, which left it in really bad condition, so I cut it in a really short (Fantasia short) style a few months ago. I've started using the Ayuverdic remedies, following the Cherie C method and although not all of the products agree with my hair, my hair is strong healthy, thick and growing at an amazing rate!

I've read most of the newbie threads and a lot of the other threads but there are still a few minor questions I had regarding just general hair care. At the moment I use the Ayuverdic regime every five days. I pre poo with Coconut Oil or Amla Oil, and then do a tea rinse with Bhrami and Maka (I omitted Amla and Shikakai as they were too drying). I then rinse out with a cheap conditioner, condition with the same conditioner for 15 mins and then rinse out. I moisturise daily with Avocado butter, Coconut Oil and Avocado Oil.

I'm happy with my regime but I feel I'm missing a few things. I never deep condition, use a leave in, or use a clarifying shampoo (it's too drying for my hair). Is it a good idea to incorporate these into my Ayuverdic regime? And if so, does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this without making my regime hideously complicated!? Is there anyone who manages to do this already?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer! I'm so glad I've finally joined the forum. It's so great to see women of African descent supporting and helping each other.

Neith

It depends.

These methods are not intended for everyone to do just because...

If your hair is perfectly fine, don't feel pressured to do things because you think you should.

Feel free to experiment too of course. :yep: but in the end, do what works for YOUR hair.

Good luck! and congrats on your success :)

Barbie83

hello and :welcome:

I wish I could give you advice, but I know absolutely nothing about Ayurvedic haircare.

But the good thing is that your hair is thriving. If its in the best shape its ever been in, I say keep doing what you're doing! I wouldn't worry about adding too many steps to you regimen if what you're doing now is working.

There are lots of things that other ladies swear by (pre-pooing, baggying, etc) that just aren't for me, and my hair is still the healthiest its ever been.

Good luck on your hair journey! :)

lollyoo

shakira,
Welcome, like most people have said you don't have to do everything, if what you are doing works for you stick with it.
I for one don't need leave- in's - only when in braids I use water based leave-in . I just moisturise as I feel it's needed and thats all, and bagging does not work for me.
Since I have been natural all I need is regular co-washing something around 3-7 days a week, and may be 1-2 times a month deep conditioning. It seems to working for me.
My hair loves ayurveda though, but been really busy and haven't had time to incorporate it in my regimen again, will see if I can just mix powder in my conditioner and use it just like that for my co-washes.

changedname

Thanks lollyoo! It seems to be working and it's fairly simple so I think I'll just K.I.S.S. I might buy a better conditioner though - I'm using some awful orange one that I had lurking on my shelf at the minute.