To Braid or to relax?

Bee6

Truly Outrageous
Hi everyone! I'm a new member and I love this forum. I got braids about a month ago cause my hair was breaking due to coloring. I wanted to give my hair a break from relaxer for a bit, but I'm in a crossroad. I was wondering if it's best to get a relaxer after taking these braids out, and then get it re-braided 3 weeks later. Or, just get it braided again, without a relaxer? Will keeping my hair braided leave it weak? Need some advice.

Netta1

Yep take the old braids out and get a new set of braids. As long as your taking care of them and they're not tight you will be alright. Plus your working with more newgrowth which should be stronger then the perm.

OR

You could get your own hair cornrolled and throw a wig on over it.

OR

You could get a sew-in.

You have many options out there before you seek a perm. /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Bee6

Truly Outrageous
My last relaxer was August 24th and I've had the braids in since late September.

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)
Braids have always kept my hair stronger. Any kind of protective style is good for the health of you hair and since you want to get the braids again anyway, you can give it a break from the relaxer AND keep it from breaking at the same time. Just remember...moisture, moisture, moisture.

foxxymami

I agree. Just make sure you take care of your hair underneath the braids. If you want to remove the braids to get a fresh braid, just be mindful that you will experience shedding. My last relaxer was done a week after removing braids that had been in for a month. I was 12 weeks post relaxer, yet my tons of new growth was very soft because I made sure I deep conditioned before they were put in and after they were removed.

Now if you just really want a relaxer MY suggestion would be to wait at least a 5-7 days if you shampoo your hair after taking them out. I think I've heard of others saying they relax the same day, but I think that is because they dont wash. They just remove the braids then start applying the relaxer. So, I guess either way is fine depending on if you have a bunch of gunk on your scalp and want to wash or not /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

HTH /images/graemlins/grin.gif