Tips on Transitioning

Islandgrl98

Hi everyone. I am finally out of lurking and I need all the support I can get.
After a visit with the dermatologist, he told me that I need to stop relaxing because it is damaging my hair.
I ended up at the dermatologist after my hair started breaking terribly.
I am only two months post relaxer but I want to be prepared for when the naps really start coming in.
Any advice on how to transition without having to chop would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'm transitioning, since October, and I find that conditioner washing every other day helps me alot with detangling and getting moisture to my new growth. I dont comb out my new growth unless its wet

Hi, Cocoon and welcome! :wave:

I am a transitioner as well. (This is my 3rd transition to natural.) The first two times, I just BCed after 4 or 5 months. This time around, I am transitioning without a BC and will transition in braids which is an option that you could try if you are a "braid person".

I would first suggest that you search on the word "transition" using the search feature. You will find tons of tips and suggestions! :)

There is also a transitioners support thread that is full of a wealth of information. If I can find it real quick, I will bump it up for you! :)

I wish you the best of luck on your transition! :)

I'm cosigning on the conditioner washes.:yep: I do mine about twice a week.

For me, low manipulation styles have been helping a lot (braidouts, twistouts, airdried ponytails). I also make sure I keep my ends and my new growth moisturized well to prevent breakage.

I've been transitioning for about six months and It's been a breeze. Some really good advice is to keep your hair really moisturized. Also realize that you will have to treat your negrowth differently. What works for your relaxed hair may not work for you natural hair. HTH

I recently decided to transition (last texlax in August). This is what I have learned so far. I'm sure the veterans will soon chime in also:

1. Cosign on the above post on moisture. MOISTURE IS VERY IMPORTANT it minimizes tangles knots and breakage. I don't co-wash but I do DC with a good moisture conish (I use miss key 10 en 1) 2x a week. Also finding a good daily moisturizer is important (I use S-curl)

2.low manipulation. Ideally I try to make the shower the ONLY time I comb my hair; under running water, saturated with conditioner, combing from the ends to the roots.I admit this gets harder the more NG you get, dealing with 2 diiferent textures.

3. hide you hair. I retain alot more moisture this way and also keeps my hair from getting tanlgles since I don't want to comb it until the next time I wash

These tips are some of the founding principles on this forum. I find when you are transitioning your hair is really vulnerable and you REALLY need to stick to these.

4. The most recent tool I've added to my arsenal is loosening my curl pattern with a mixture of yogurt, cream cheese and molasses mixed w/ conditioner as a pre-poo treatment BIG UP adw425!!!! This minimizes the amount of hair I loose when detangling and my hair because its smoother I retain alot more moisture. Also my hair is alot less 'poofy' and less prone to re-tangling once i've combed it out

I recommend this thread (if you are interested of course)to see other ladies mixes/methods with yogurt. So you can see results with varying hair types:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=167391

and of course there is the transitioners support thread TONS more info and very supportive ladies with more experience

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=56005&highlight=support+thread

HTH

Back