Tips for a nice at home flat ironing :)

mzhotniz86

Tips for a nice at home flat ironing :) *pics*

ladies, i finally mimicked my stylist down to the "T" for my at home flat ironing. i usually hate to wash my hair because of the dry poofiness that is sure to follow, but i changed my routine up a bit. usually , i just do a braidout , but because of my new half wig fetish :) , i need to have my hair as straight as possible (and im not able to get it done professionally during the week) sooo...

1.I washed my hair with moisturizing shampoo ( design essentials moisture retention) 2x . rinsed 2.then applied moisturizing conditioner ( design essentials express instant conditioner) for about 15min under the dryer. i rinsed that 3. then applied styling/wrap foam (dudleys styling foam) combed it throughout , and then sat under the dryer until it dried completely. ,4.after it dried,i sprayed on my heat protectant (Silk Elements MegaSilk Heat Protection Spray.this also has silk protein in it, which is good for when you are using heat) and applied a LITTLE serum (design silk essentials) throughout . 5.time to flat iron. i have a vidal sassoon flat iron and i set it on 15 (which is probably around 200 degrees) . it's ceramic plated and only cost me around $35 at target. i am hoping to upgrade to a fancier one soon :) but for now ,this one did the job last night. I parted my hair down the middle, clipping away one side. for each small section i used , i took the flat iron in one hand, and rat tailed comb in the other, and as i went to glide the flat iron down the hair, i used the tail part of the comb to hold the hair up (instead of my fingers) and glide the flat iron over it. this was so my hair could fall lightly .

i'm sure everyone has their own actual flat ironing technique, but i believe what helped me get it so straight, was the foam wrap.when i tried flat ironing before, i sprayed heat protectant on before it dried, then after, and my hair was still a frizzy mess. i blamed it on my cheap flat iron, but it was really the products and TECHNIQUE. the foam helped my hair lay down straight, while protecting against the heat from the dryer. and somehow the tail end of the comb helped keep me from burning my fingers on the hot hair :yep:

my stylist uses straight request and marcel irons, but she uses the exact same technique for straigtening my hair , and it always comes out very pretty. experiment with your products and technique and you should get the same results :) hhg!

Last edited:

mzhotniz86

Re: Tips for a nice at home flat ironing :) *pics*

*excuse the flyaways, i had just taken off my hoodie :) *

mzhotniz86

thank you :) you should have seen the monstrosity i had to work with :grin: like a mini michael jackson fro (when he was black) :look:

Leslie_C

thank you :) you should have seen the monstrosity i had to work with :grin: like a mini michael jackson fro (when he was black) :look:

lol :lachen:

Straight request sounds so familiar but I cant remember where I saw it. Im gonna save this thread and follow ur instructions (dont have the exact products, but have something similar to all of them) the next time I feel like flat ironing. Maybe Ill do it for Christmas...

mzhotniz86

lol :lachen:

Straight request sounds so familiar but I cant remember where I saw it. Im gonna save this thread and follow ur instructions (dont have the exact products, but have something similar to all of them) the next time I feel like flat ironing. Maybe Ill do it for Christmas...

yeh, thats what i meant for me to. i dont have straight request , but i just worked with what i had and pretty much got the same results. i believe if i had a better quality flat iron , i would REALLY be in there :grin: . i've been trying to track down straight request and so far , i just see it online. good luck!