Throwing Away All Brushes

chellee

I am convinced that this has contributed to my thinning hairline . . . even though it is a soft boar’s bristle brush. My hair is fine enough that I can use a large hair pin to smooth the front. After tying it down with a satin/silk scarf I am good to go.

Anyone else had to divorce their beloved brush?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I have divorced this scunci boar bristle brush because I thought it was too rough for my hair even though it got my hair nice and smooth. I bought a soft Anne 100% pure boar bristle brush and it does just as well with smoothing as the hard one. It also feels better against my head. :yep:
I don't think my hairline thinned because of brushes...I think it came from wrapping and relaxers. Now that I haven't had a relaxer for over 6 months, my hairline has filled back in! :clap:

BAILEYSCREAM

There are different types of boar bristle brushes, I used to have hard brushes and really soft brushes. I gave away all the hard ones because I could feel them pulling out my hair each time I used them. Also, the brush used to be full of hair, a sure sign I was losing hair.

I kept the soft brushes because they are too soft to pull out the hair. In general I don't really use them except when I have really thick new growth.

I also have a large and small paddle brush, these are very good and don't pull out the hair too much.

L

lkg4healthyhair

My hair is fine as well, and though I am not getting rid of any brushes I use a wide tooth comb to style my hair. I have not used a brush in a long time.

I wear my hair in a bun everyday. I just add moisturizer, comb into the style and tie down with a silk scarf for a few minutes....brushes are not necessary...

Cinnabuns

I also divorced my brushes - ALL OF THEM! :lol:Carmelhonee hooked me onto not useing them at all so I conducted a research and found out that brushing my hair caused to much breakage so I stopped and have not used one in months. :)

mochamadness

Going the Distance
I too have divorced all of my brushes, I noticed that too much of my hair was coming out everytime I brushed.

LDebagoria

I just can't pull myself away from my Gold N' Hot boar bristle paddle brush! :( I'm always very careful when I'm brushing my hair with it, and I really never lose more than a few shedded strands when I brush. Maybe I'm delusional...also I just like playing with my hair when it's down (extension braids-2 mo. now) it theraputic to brush it! :look:

I, too have pitched all of my brushes into the trash can. The only one I saved is my Denman detangling brush. I use a wide toothed comb for all my combing and styling and a soft baby brush or toothbrush for my hairline. I have fine hair and my hairline has finally reappeared.

L

LaNecia

Ok, I don't mean to sound like a rookie....but.....how in the world will I get my hair to lie down around the edges w/out my brushes?!?! It's not really long enough to pull into a smooth pony without one. :( I use the Jibere to detangle, graduate to a 'regular' comb to further detangle and style but it won't lie down without the brush! I have three, one of which is a hard brush that one always ends up with a lot of hair in it so I don't use it often at all. :nono:

As careful as I am with my hair now, I'm sure not brushing would be even better but how to? I'll go to Walmart and find one of those baby brushes and give that a try...

Will report back soon.

DahomeyAhosi

I haven't used a hair brush in years but I started to use a soft toothbrush to lay my edges down about 3 months ago. It works pretty well.

Ashee

I just threw one round brush out tonight, and I have four flat brushes and three wooden round brushes...
I haven't used any of them for five months or so but I'm such a pack rat I'm holding on to them....
:p

*Side note:
I keep watching my Ticker & it seems to move soooo slooow!!!
Why can't time speed up some more already!???
-just venting a bit... :spinning:

Last edited:
L

LaNecia

Well, I went to Walmart and got the baby brush. It's a keeper! It takes a bit more patience because the bristles are so soft but I'll keep my hair!!

Thanks ladies! :kiss:

Crystalicequeen123

Oh man, I used to be really BAD with the brush!! I used to wrap my hair after washing it while wet, and I would ACTUALLY use a brush to smooth down the edges along the wrap! *shreik!* I'ts a wonder I have hair on my head today! I would brush my hair really hard too. *shakes head*

I have decided to stop using boar bristle brushes (I've already basically stopped brushing) and I think I will even give up my beloved paddle brush. I noticed that I started to use even the paddle brush in a rough way. :-/ I DID buy however this teeny-weeny little SOFT boar bristle brush that I use sometimes to smooth down my hairline while I'm stretching relaxers, but I've found (like some of you have mentioned) that smoothing my hair with a scarf works just as well (if not better!).