Those who bring their own products

melodee

This is sort of a spin off of my other thread about the Phytorelaxer. I asked if I were to bring my own product to the shop, would the salon still charge the same amount for the service as they would had I used their stuff. So far, comments have indicated that yes, they will charge you $65 for a perm even if they didn't use their own product.

To me this is discouraging. I understand why they charge, but it really keeps a slave to their stuff. I want to have a pro do my perm, but I can't see paying $115 to get a touch up (by paying for the phyto and paying the salon to put it in).
I know some bring their own conditioners and such to the salon. Do they still charge you the same amount for a deep conditioner if they use yours. They would have applied a conditioner and sat you under a dryer if they used their own, so there is no extra labor. What about rinses/color? I've paid $20 for color(rinse) when I could get the bottle of Jazzing for $5 at the beauty supply. Yes, it's messy to apply a black rinse at home, so I'd rather let them do it. But if I bought my stuff in, would I still pay $20? /images/graemlins/tongue.giferplexed:

webby

Think Slim
Melodee, I used to feel that way too. My thoughts were, why should I pay full price if I'm buying my own product, right?

Now, I look at it like this, the health of my hair is not something I want to squabble over. If "Miranda" is going to charge me the same amount for my rinse, because she NEVER puts in the color I requested, so I bring my own...then fine. As long as my hair is in good hands. Ya know?

I am relying on these women to put in chemicals that can potentially leave me bald if I try to do it myself or go to someone else who charges less. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice

I feel you Melodee. That is also one of my concerns about trying the Phytorelaxer. It is just too expensive. I wish that I knew of a beauty salon that uses this product. Maybe I will do some research. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
For wash-n-sets, I always bring my own products. I never get charged full price for using my own deep conditioner. I usually pay $2 extra to sit under the dryer with it.

dreemssold

Melodee, I have decided to hop on the "phyto bandwagon" also. It is discouraging, thinking about paying an extra $45 :)) don't forget that link for the cheaper box) for a relaxer, but I have started thinking of it like this. I'm only getting 4 relaxers a year, so an extra $200 bucks a year for healthier, better-looking hair is not really that great of a sacrifice. Also, I can't expect the salon to lower their prices just because I bring my own products...they don't do it when I shampoo, so it only stands to reason they wouldn't do it now, either. Besides, of that $65 they charge for a relaxer, how much of that actualy went to the cost of the relaxer...$7 or $8? Even if they subtracted that, it wouldn't make much of a dent. Most of the fee is labor, anyway. Now, hop on the bandwagon with me /images/graemlins/grin.gif!

cutebajangirl

Since they buy their products in bulk (I'm assuming) most of their costs probably go to rent,electricity, water so they probably couldn't lower the price too much.

Nice

[ QUOTE ]
dreemssold said:
Melodee, I have decided to hop on the "phyto bandwagon" also. It is discouraging, thinking about paying an extra $45 :)) don't forget that link for the cheaper box) for a relaxer, but I have started thinking of it like this. I'm only getting 4 relaxers a year, so an extra $200 bucks a year for healthier, better-looking hair is not really that great of a sacrifice. Also, I can't expect the salon to lower their prices just because I bring my own products...they don't do it when I shampoo, so it only stands to reason they wouldn't do it now, either. Besides, of that $65 they charge for a relaxer, how much of that actualy went to the cost of the relaxer...$7 or $8? Even if they subtracted that, it wouldn't make much of a dent. Most of the fee is labor, anyway. Now, hop on the bandwagon with me /images/graemlins/grin.gif!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point Dreemssold, I am feeling more and more convinced /images/graemlins/smile.gif

amazin9

Ladies, I go to Mastercuts in my local mall to a very good African American stylist that puts my Phyto in for me. The salon charges $60 for a relaxer, and $50 if you bring your own product. She was also able to separate the relaxer when she did my touch up! So my next touch up, I will not have to purchase another box. I was not able to do that myself. So you may want to look into a salon like that. It has worked for me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice

Just found a salon in New York that charges $85 (phtyorelaxer included). I put the information in another post /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

KAddy

Nice, you and I think alike, I am posting what I posted in your post too.

Also ladies in ANY AREA can call 1-877-SPECIFIC and they can tell you what salons/stores in your area carry it or use it.