Those Using Neem Oil, How Do you Stand the Smell?

BeaLady

I tired Neem oil this weekend and it was a traumatic experience, lol.

I heard that it smells but I thought I could mask it with other EOs. I mixed lavender and carrot oil and applied it as a nightly pre-poo. The smell was driving me crazy and I had to get up at night and shampooed my hair.

I thought MTG smelled bad but this is much worse.

Do the benefits outweigh the smell?

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
Let me tell you, i bought it and opened it up and was like DAAAMMMNNN.
I literally though it was spoiled til i googled it.
I mix it with other oils and mask the scent with lavendar.
I don't know how people use it alone it just stinks.

suburbanbushbabe

Yes the neem smell is so horrendous, I returned the bottle I bought from Whole Foods. However....Theraneem makes a line of neem products and my favorite is Theraneem Maximum strength Neem soap scented with sweet orange and ylang ylang. There's 20% neem in it and you can't smell it. This is my absolute fave soap for shampooing; it doesn't tangle or strip. Do not buy the unscented version, you'll be sorry.

Whole Foods carries or you can order in on-line:

http://www.organixsouth.com/theraneem.html

adw425

My dog had a hotspot and I mixed it with some coconut to apply to it. The combo smell was like strong peanut butter and it healed his hotspot right up. The neem oil has been in the closet for a minute. I could tolerate the smell -- just barely -- when I would use it in my scalp oil at night as the smell would be gone in the morning. However, the smell would come back when I would workout/sweat and it would come back strong, too, and that I could not tolerate... They say karanje oil has very similar properties without the smell.

Tamrin

unapologetic
I mix it in my creme of nature Shampoo ( green label) That way once its used it washes away. The smell kept making my gag reflex kick in.

BeaLady

Let me tell you, i bought it and opened it up and was like DAAAMMMNNN.
I literally though it was spoiled til i googled it.
I mix it with other oils and mask the scent with lavendar.
I don't know how people use it alone it just stinks.

Do you see any improvement in your hair since you've been using it?

Yes the neem smell is so horrendous, I returned the bottle I bought from Whole Foods. However....Theraneem makes a line of neem products and my favorite is Theraneem Maximum strength Neem soap scented with sweet orange and ylang ylang. There's 20% neem in it and you can't smell it. This is my absolute fave soap for shampooing; it doesn't tangle or strip. Do not buy the unscented version, you'll be sorry.

Whole Foods carries or you can order in on-line:

http://www.organixsouth.com/theraneem.html

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look for it next time i'm at Whole Foods.

My dog had a hotspot and I mixed it with some coconut to apply to it. The combo smell was like strong peanut butter and it healed his hotspot right up. The neem oil has been in the closet for a minute. I could tolerate the smell -- just barely -- when I would use it in my scalp oil at night as the smell would be gone in the morning. However, the smell would come back when I would workout/sweat and it would come back strong, too, and that I could not tolerate... They say karanje oil has very similar properties without the smell.

Thanks, where do you get karanje oil from?

I mix it in my creme of nature Shampoo ( green label) That way once its used it washes away. The smell kept making my gag reflex kick in.

Have you noticed any increased growth?

darlingdiva

I'm not really picky about product scents, but neem oil smells absolutely awful. I just used up what I had and never repurchased it.

My husband says that it smells like rat and skunk pee.

Misshairdiva

I think I have a bottle of this funky stuff from when someone posted about this last year if anyone wants it! lol

(I wish when someone would post that product xyz is great for the hair/scalp that they would also save you the trouble of finding out that its the most funkiest stuff in the world!!)

Aireen

Don't mean to take over the thread but how does it smell like and what are the benefits? This is my first time hearing of this oil.

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
Let's see.....the smell is rank as something i just can't explain. Some people say like rotten peanuts. Like if you opened the bottle and smelled directly you would gag. And the scent lingers. Neem is used for different things i think from hair to skin to bug repeallant (yes it works for real).
With that being said. I mix it up until the smell is tolerable.
It helped grow back my bald spots and i still use to grease my scalp.
It will take me a long time to use out the one i have and im not sure i would buy it again unless its another brand that has took out the smell.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@nothidden
I have tried it as a Pre-Rx. It Stanks to High Heaven. I've used it once or twice. Not enough to see any benefits tho'. I still have an unopened bottle and an almost full bottle.

Could not get past the scent. I may try a couple drops in my Homemade Tingle Oil (but not a lot) because I'm sure the Funk would take over.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
@nothidden
I have tried it as a Pre-Rx. It Stanks to High Heaven. I've used it once or twice. Not enough to see any benefits tho'. I still have an unopened bottle and an almost full bottle.

Could not get past the scent. I may try a couple drops in my Homemade Tingle Oil (but not a lot) because I'm sure the Funk would take over.
LOL...girl, the comments online are hilarious. It is sold as a tea and folks say the taste is terrible but that they feel better. May include it in my tea rinse.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@nothidden
Oh Yeah.. I have the Tea too. If you are interested willing to pay for shipping, I will send you the unopened bottle of Oil and a box of Tea. I think bought two of those too. *pj issues*

The tea made my hair dry and hard. Probably the antifungal properties. I rinsed with it. Didn't try to drink it.

p.m. me if interested..

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
@nothidden
Oh Yeah.. I have the Tea too. If you are interested willing to pay for shipping, I will send you the unopened bottle of Oil and a box of Tea. I think bought two of those too. *pj issues*

The tea made my hair dry and hard. Probably the antifungal properties. I rinsed with it. Didn't try to drink it.

p.m. me if interested..
Man...just ordered the tea from Amazon...I'm afraid of the oil :) I appreciate the offer.

NefertariBlu

Lool. The comments are funny.

I only used the oil for a fungus my son had on his scalp. It got rid of it 3 times a fast than the prescribed creams.

I couldn't bear the smell of it thoughm it smells really BAD.

I have no idea how to mask the smell