Things im learning about my hair.

sckri23

Are helping and setting me back and im just barely getting started!!! I've started to catch on and with all I've learned I should be at SL soon. Hopefully I wont learn something else that might set me back.

Here's what I've learned:

I can only shampoo wash when stretching,I cant detangle with a wide tooth comb too many hairs being lost, I can straighten my ng with only moisturizer, grease, and a scarf.

My hair only loves co washes before 5 weeks post, no matter how much I scratch or brush the night before a relaxer I dont burn anymore, my ng stays straight for at least a week with heat, I cant comb my ng when wet even with leave in.

I have super ng everything that my relaxed hair gets used to my ng rejects, using oil-diluted grease once every 3 days and regular brushing keeps my hair soft and shiny.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Yup...same story with my relaxed hair v.s. my natural/texturized hair. I wish my natural hair came with a "Do the Opposite of what you did with your relaxed hair" label, and I could have avoided a Ton of foolishness.

sckri23

Im in my last week of my 9 week stretch but im gonna have no length cause all the bad things I listed broke my hair off.

Maybe I'll have better luck in my 10 week stretch.

MystiqueBabe

1. My hair needs to touch water at least once a week, this means co-washing is a staple technique in my regimen. This keeps my hair moisturized and reduces frizz.

2. My hair needs heavy sealants and products which include various butters, grease, and mineral oil/petro based products. Lighter oils/sealants/products leave my hair dry and frizzy.

3. My hair likes protein

tapioca_pudding

My hair hates being constantly wet, hates washngo's and loves protein and heat and regular dustings. It can only take one source of heat - blow drying OR flat ironing, not both. My left side needs more attention/care than my right because it's prone to breakage (no idea why).

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I learned that that wearing silk or satin bonnets have been the culprit to my edge and nape problem. Even the bonnets with the covered elastic are a no-no.

I always sleep on a silk pillowcase with a bonnet on, but now I am eliminating the bonnets/scarves; just sleeping on the pillowcase. I can't wait to see if I'm right.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
So far I've learned (long term PS-ing with braids so not much handling going on, yet):

-My hair does not like to be shrunken - SSK's County! I straightened and trimmed, no SSK's :yay: next day, did a puff SSK's all over the place by the end of the day :sad:

-Silicones - I didn't think my hair minded them, but I used a few products (though while in braids) and my hair was super dry. I used these products before when relaxed and did not experience this.

-Products containing BTMS is must for detanging my hair

SkySurfer

My hair hates protein.
My hair loves being styled wet.
My hair can take straightening about once every 3 months
My hair is stronger than i thought (i've hidden it a lot under weaves and braids thinking that was the only way i could keep hair on my head)
Co-washing once a week is doing me the world of good.
S-curl is helping to save my hair! (So grateful for this one)
My hair is WAY browner than I realised..don't what i thought before loool never really considered it...I'm tempted to indigo with my next henna..but whatever..:lachen:

Last edited:

sckri23

Adding The bad: my hair hates scurl I even tried it as a leavein its like putting drops of water on butter it doesnt stay even with clean and dry hair.

And the good: I dont use much moisturizer my oil mix takes care of me.

Shananyganz

My hair likes to be left alone. So... weaves and braids are my hair's besties--- in that order.

I've known this for some time, but the "stylist" in me fought it. With this recent weave removal-- I'm all ears.

~S~

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
The main thing I've learned this summer is that despite getting past the SL hump I can't wear my hair out often without incurring splits. I went a year without cutting and had minimal splits (but almost always had my ends protected or hanging on my skin). The last 3 months or so I've worn my hair down quite a bit (when I add it all up) and despite a dusting in June I see some splits looking at my hair today:nono: I'm vex.

My hair loves cowashes, protein, oil rinsing, tea rinsing, frequent DC's, finger detangling. She seems to like aryuvedic powders but I have to work that into my regimen with it requiring less work and mess.

DominicanBrazilian82

I'm learning that my hair absolutely adores Alto Ego Garlic Mask... Omw to grab some flexi rods!!! Ooowwww!

image-667502187.jpg

Last relaxer 6.21.12... Already 11 weeks. Going another 8... Till my bday 11/17... The big 30!

Last edited:

TheMenAllPause

I have learned that I need to check the ingredients in ALL my hair products for protein. The amount of protein conditioners and gel snuck up on me.

auparavant

Feeling like a new baby here...but I've learned to listen to the stylist who told me I was a fine-hair. I never believed her until I jacked it. Relaxed death. SMH. My hair is dense...and that was fooling me into thinking it was coarse stranded. Well, it can be wiry, but it is fine, esp. now. Lesson learned? Never go on a chemical whim, you'll be spending 2 years trying to fix it lol.

Americka

My hair...
  • loves protein
  • loves moisture
  • hates shea butter
  • adores Alter Ego Garlic Treatment, Skala Masques, Carefree Curl Gold
  • needs shampoo for scalp build-up
  • needs heavier products near the end of a stretch
  • drinks up castor oil
  • has a very dry crown
  • cannot hold a curl if there is any humidity in the air
  • grows quite slowly
  • is fine and thin

NefertariBlu

Great thread. I learned from the "struggling with your natural hair thread" that

My hair needs to be less manipulated.
I can finally do twist outs using Miss Jessies (which I thought would never work on my hair)
My hair hates shampoo. No matter if its natural or not.

It hates natural shea butter and coconut oil but it likes shea moisture products (probably because of the other ingredients)

Can't take heat, blow dryers or straighteners. I get little broken ends.

so in a nutshell, protective styling, moisture, no shampoo and no heat and my hair is happy.
*EDITED*
Also after being natural for OVER 10 YEARS I FINALLY know what works on my hair, and it is longer than it has every been so I know it grows.:yep:

Taliah Waajid mist bodifier, I also like the Camille Rpse fresh curl too, but it's way more expensive. I get the same results from Taliah Waajid so I'm sticking with the cheaper option.

I LOVE black castor oil, mixed with SM curling souffle I have the softest hair for over a week. The combination of castor oil and glycerin work well for me.

Co wash with Treseme naturals and DC with Taliah Waajid's herbal conditioner. I always air dry.

Sorry for the long post but I just feel happy now that I know what works and I don't need to waste any more money on products that don't work.

Last edited:

MaraWithLove

TheMenAllPause said:
I have learned that I need to check the ingredients in ALL my hair products for protein. The amount of protein conditioners and gel snuck up on me.

+1

I've learned:
1. Most of my hair hates protein; where I have medium (not coarse) strands it can stand some protein though.
2. My hair likes being wet.
3. My hair does not like being twisted/braided and feels worse when it's taken out.
4. My hair grows great when under a sew in, but my edges can't stand being braided.
5. My hair can grow just as well with out styles as protective styles.
6. Oils are my friends, butters are not (especially shea).
7. I've yet to find a gel that feels nice on my hair.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
-Health before length
-Trimming is important
-Minimize sulfate and cone usage
-Heat styles (roller setting) generates less breakage than air drying
-Keep it simple; no bandwagons
-Comb hair daily to remove sheds or hair will tangle
-Use detangling sprays to dry detangle before washing
-Properly detangled hair before washing makes for less tangles and breakage
-Washing 1x-2x weekly is enough, more than that is too much for my hair
-ETA: Relaxer stretching does more harm than good.

Last edited:

g.lo

my hair loves protein
trimming on a regular basis is my best friend
brushes just tear my strands apart
protective styling is not a must but low manipulation is the key for my retention
my hair love to be washed and deep conditioned at least once a week
sealing my ends with a butter is a must
my hair hates satin but loves silk, hates glycerin and shea butter when it is high up in the ingredients list!

so far after 18 months of HHJ that what I have discovered:yep:

Last edited: