thickness...where does it come from?

hey ladies i have one question, where does thickness come from?, im getting length but where does the thickness come from? im not using heat, maybe once or twice a week, not a lot at all. So my question is, am i doing something wrong? i need some serious advice and suggestions on what i can do to get my hair thicker, its very healthy just not as thick as i would like it to be.. if no heat is the answer, then i wont use ANY heat, just tell me what to do

thanks in advance
ladies:yawn:

well.. many ladies here have said that taking biotin has thickened their hair,,, i think a good diet is important,, one thing is.. you cannot really thicken a hair strand that is already out of the scalp,, thickening has to happen inside the scalp.. for external thickening u can add things to the shaft such as thickening creams and henna has worked for many ppl here....

Check out my siggy.

The majority of my thickness came from texlaxing. My old stylist was overprocessing me and I didn't realize it until I came to LHCF.

Other things that I do:
No direct heat
98% of the time Airdrying - Other 2% rollersets
Deep cond. 2x/wk

Some people have a thick head of hair, some people have thick hairstrands and some people have both.

People with a thick head of hair have many many hairfollicles per square inch of scalp. It depends on how densely packed your hair follicles are. The more densely packed they are the thicker your hair is. This is all genetic.

Then you have some people that have naturally thick hair strands (genetic) or get them through aid of thickening products. .

Check out my siggy.

The majority of my thickness came from texlaxing. My old stylist was overprocessing me and I didn't realize it until I came to LHCF.

Other things that I do:
No direct heat
Deep cond. 2x/wk

Co-signing with you Michigander. I found that texlaxing works great at making my fine hair seem thicker.

OH AND CELEBRATING MY 100TH POST. YAY!!!

Do u have a relaxer? if do, just texlax. don't do the bone stright thing becasue i personally feel it makes your hair thin and break.

Check out my siggy.

Other things that I do:
No direct heat
Deep cond. 2x/wk

ITA on the texlaxing and DCs.

Originally posted by piceschica
...People with a thick head of hair have many many hairfollicles per square inch of scalp. It depends on how densely packed your hair follicles are. The more densely packed they are the thicker your hair is. This is all genetic...

Yep its all genetics. All we can do is take certain vitamins and style our hair certain ways (i.e. texturizing instead of relaxing bone straight or cut hair in layers, etc.) and use styling products to make our hair strands "appear" thicker if they are naturally thin.

Yep its all genetics. All we can do is take certain vitamins and style our hair certain ways (i.e. texturizing instead of relaxing bone straight or cut hair in layers, etc.) and use styling products to make our hair strands "appear" thicker if they are naturally thin.
ITA:yep:. You might just have fine hair or you might have to switch from bone straight to textlaxing to get fullness. Having all blunt length hair or layered hair with curls also gives the appearance of thick hair.

I think they also have a few websites on how to determine the thickness/density of your hair based on the diameter of the base of your ponytail.

Last edited:
I am not 100% sure but this is what I found to have really worked for me recently

Biotin
low manipulation
castor, coconut and olive oils for sealing, prepooing, etc. (just using them often)

sometimes it's genetic. but make sure you are not overlapping your relaxer because that will cause you to lose major thickness. thats what happened to me.

texlaxing is another option.

sometimes it's genetic. but make sure you are not overlapping your relaxer because that will cause you to lose major thickness. thats what happened to me.

texlaxing is another option.

DEFINITELY! It happened to me too. Ever since I started letting the Domincans relax my hair. I definitely noticed the thinning. I'm stretching now and am going to put oil and conditioner over the relaxed parts of my hair BEFORE I even get to the salon. Hopefully this will help the problem.

I didn't think my hair was thin before but after I adopted a low manipulation regimen my hair thickened considerable. There was a visible difference in only 2 months.

febnov07-vi.jpg

DEFINITELY! It happened to me too. Ever since I started letting the Domincans relax my hair. I definitely noticed the thinning. I'm stretching now and am going to put oil and conditioner over the relaxed parts of my hair BEFORE I even get to the salon. Hopefully this will help the problem.

You too? Man those dominicans overlap like CRAZY!:nono: im not saying all of them are like that but im staying away from stylists.

Thickness is dependant upon a few things: how many hairs an individual has on their head, how densely packed those hairs are, and the shed rate. The first two factors cannot be controlled, but the last one however can be to an extent. Physical manipulation, chemical alteration, diet, supplements, and external product application can greatly increase or decrease a persons shed rate, resulting in thicker or thinner hair. Now keep in mind, if a person has naturally fine strands with a lesser number hair on their scalp then they will always have thinner hair than someone with course densely packed strands, but that person can achieve thickness that is relative to them.

My hair is fine/medium textured, and what has worked for me is airdrying. I use heat sparingly. Biotin works too.

Thickness is dependant upon a few things: how many hairs an individual has on their head, how densely packed those hairs are, and the shed rate. The first two factors cannot be controlled, but the last one however can be to an extent. Physical manipulation, chemical alteration, diet, supplements, and external product application can greatly increase or decrease a persons shed rate, resulting in thicker or thinner hair. Now keep in mind, if a person has naturally fine strands with a lesser number hair on their scalp then they will always have thinner hair than someone with course densely packed strands, but that person can achieve thickness that is relative to them.

Well said. :yep:

ITA:yep:. You might just have fine hair or you might have to switch from bone straight to textlaxing to get fullness. Having all blunt length hair or layered hair with curls also gives the appearance of thick hair.

I think they also have a few websites on how to determine the thickness/density of your hair based on the diameter of the base of your ponytail.[/quote]

But the thing about the bolded is there can be many culprits to someone thinking they have thin hair when the culprits may be: relaxing bone straight, alot of manipulation, curling irons, etc.

I know I have uber thick hair with med/fine strands and one time when I was horribly managing my hair, it got so thin that even a ponytail holder wouldn't stay on.:nono:

I think they also have a few websites on how to determine the thickness/density of your hair based on the diameter of the base of your ponytail.[/quote]

But the thing about the bolded is there can be many culprits to someone thinking they have thin hair when the culprits may be: relaxing bone straight, alot of manipulation, curling irons, etc.

I know I have uber thick hair with med/fine strands and one time when I was horribly managing my hair, it got so thin that even a ponytail holder wouldn't stay on.:nono:

The bolded is very, especially in my cases. My relaxed end are relaxed bone straight and that makes my hair appear thinner than it actually is. To combat this thinning effect I usually air dry which makes my ends appear thicker.

Back