Thick Haired Naturals and Transitioners

LaFemmeNaturelle

Do ya'll wear phony ponies and updos? I bought a couple and....I'm sad because I feel like my hair is too thick to wear it.

I bought this one: Black Hair Style | Synthetic Ponytail | Ponytail - Small Wave | Sensationnel Instant Up-Do | INSTANT UP-DO SYNTHETIC PONYTAIL-DO HZ-U002

I thought I would be able to just slick my hair back and wear it but I can only get it slick enough in a low pony and not a high pony. Am I gonna have to straighten my hair to make it look right?:sad:

I've seen youtube videos but none of them have thick hair.....or do I have to do it when my hair is completely wet?

How do you wear yours?

ETA: Oops I meant to say dense I guess....my strands arent thick I just have alot of hair.

LadyMacgyver

I have this ponytail.. At the time I had my hair flat ironed and I just use eco-styler on my edges and tie my hair down.. But I also done this which is kind of time consuming with my thick hair..I section my hair off in the back and detangle.. I use my denman brush and slick aloe vera gel on the nape of my neck and my hair in the back and try to pull it up as much as I can and then I do the same with the front.. I use a lot of gel to hold this stuff down and tie it down real good.. I also use a leave in and if my hair starts to get dry I just mist it a little because I don't want it be too wet when I pull it up..

HTH

NikkiQ

I have about 4 phony ponys and I never flat iron my hair for it. After a good shampoo and DC, I let my hair dry about 90% of the way and blow dry it on a low setting using a heat protectant. Since I usually leave my hair in a pony for the entire work week, I usually part my hair and grease my scalp and moisturize my NG with Profectiv. By the time you do that and light brush your hair upwards, it'll be a lot smoother and easier to pony up high without having to flat iron. I posted a pic of the one I'm rockin now in the HYH challenge thread. Just a little IC Fantasia gel and a scarf at night and I'm good to go in the mornings. HTH!

LadyMacgyver

I have about 4 phony ponys and I never flat iron my hair for it. After a good shampoo and DC, I let my hair dry about 90% of the way and blow dry it on a low setting using a heat protectant. Since I usually leave my hair in a pony for the entire work week, I usually part my hair and grease my scalp and moisturize my NG with Profectiv. By the time you do that and light brush your hair upwards, it'll be a lot smoother and easier to pony up high without having to flat iron. I posted a pic of the one I'm rockin now in the HYH challenge thread. Just a little IC Fantasia gel and a scarf at night and I'm good to go in the mornings. HTH!

Nikki after reading what you do I've been doing it the hard way :grin:.. I like your way I might have to try it thanks.. Never thought about air drying

LaFemmeNaturelle

I don't have a comb attachment...well actually a comb attachment doesnt fit on there unfortunately so by the time I use a brush and blowdry, I may as well flat iron lol

Maybe I can airdry it in 12 ponytails...the same way I plan to air dry it on Tuesday when I flat iron. That way my roots will be smooth and flat already. I'll try that too.

Qtee

I have thick hair..and I wet my hair and use gel to slick it with my hands..then I tie it down on my way to work (or where ever I'm going)..

LaFemmeNaturelle

I have thick hair..and I wet my hair and use gel to slick it with my hands..then I tie it down on my way to work (or where ever I'm going)..

Do you wet it in the shower or just spray water? I tried just spraying it with a spray bottle. Probably if I was fresh out the shower it would work.

NikkiQ

LMAO a video?? Girl idk about that one lol. Maybe next time I'll do a step by step photo montage or something lol

Qtee

Do you wet it in the shower or just spray water? I tried just spraying it with a spray bottle. Probably if I was fresh out the shower it would work.

I use a spray bottle cause my hair is like a sponge...it holds on to water for dear life..so I dont want drippies on my neck and clothes..

classychic1908

I use my spray bottle to dampen my hair and I use gel, a brush, and my scarf to get things smooth before I bun. I haven't worn a phony pony, but I achieve a smooth bun. I don't ever actually attempt to style my hair dry.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Yeah I can get a smooth ponytail and bun...smooth enough because it's mine. I just can't see to get it slick enough and high enough for it to blend with this thing.