the whole hair washing thing

Inches411

hi guys

i have learned alot about this topic since on the forum. right now i wash my hair once a week which is working out just fine. But a weird question i have is that how does one know when they hair is dirty dirty.. cause with me since i dont use grease like that heavey mineral oil or petroleum my hair doesnt really look dirty or heavy or anything.. honestly before i use to only wash my hair when the style went limp... thats it. I know with other hair textures the hair and scalp gets oily so they know when they need to wash it but i never really noticed my hair dirty so to speak that i had to run to get the shampoo and wash it right away. wat about guys

Starian

I wash once a week regardless of whether it feels dirty or not. I do oil my scalp so it attracts dirt more quickly.

My hair is really filthy when it begins shedding profusely. That only happens if I get lazy and wait more than a week to wash.

Weekly washings and DC work just fine for me though.

PinkPebbles

I wash once a week regardless of whether it feels dirty or not. I do oil my scalp so it attracts dirt more quickly.

My hair is really filthy when it begins shedding profusely. That only happens if I get lazy and wait more than a week to wash.

Weekly washings and DC work just fine for me though.

ITA:yep:!!

prospurr4

hi guys

i have learned alot about this topic since on the forum. right now i wash my hair once a week which is working out just fine. But a weird question i have is that how does one know when they hair is dirty dirty.. cause with me since i dont use grease like that heavey mineral oil or petroleum my hair doesnt really look dirty or heavy or anything.. honestly before i use to only wash my hair when the style went limp... thats it. I know with other hair textures the hair and scalp gets oily so they know when they need to wash it but i never really noticed my hair dirty so to speak that i had to run to get the shampoo and wash it right away. wat about guys

I wash my hair weekly, usually on Saturdays. One way I know it's dirty is because it's got a week's worth of sweat in it from my 3-4 workout days.:look: Another way is when my hair feels weighed down by the "layers" of moisturizer I've applied to my hair thoroughout the week. By the end of the week, my hair is screamin' for some attention.:lol:

Pheonixx

^^^True

Hw do I know my hair is dirty?
1.Buildup!
2.It's weighed down.
3.It looks greasy.

I like hair that moves. Plus I have a phobia for grease and greasy lookin hair. I don't use grease. Too heavy. Also--impedes movement. I use light oils.or creams.

When I was short and tapered it didn't matter. A little dirt was okay. Curls actually held better when dirty.
When hair has that build-up--that greased up look to it---then it's time to wash. Because I can't function with hair that won't behave. And dirty Long hair never looks or acts right.
But that's just me.

You can see the dirt on you flat/curling iron. It's a brown buildup (dirt/grease) on your iron if you heat-style.

If I didn't have to worry about that I'd prolly push it to 2 weeks. Maybe...I dunno. Maybe not. Seems like weekly washes are a positive thing.

Last edited:

MissM

During the winter I feel comfortable washing every two weeks, cause honey, here in Michigan, you will not be sweating in the winter!! I also don't work out so I can go two weeks and feel comfortable w/my hair/scalp not feeling dirty. Now that it's warmed up I actually feel like I need to wash every week. But I have always only shampoo'd my scalp. I never shampoo my ends-just let the suds roll thru, especially in the colder months. Also like Phoenixx I also do not use heavy oils, just light moisturizers or just oiling the ends.

MizAvalon

I know my hair is dirty dirty if the shaft is very dry and the scalp is oily. Also, even after just a few days of not washing it just smells "not so clean". It's not filthy or anything at that point but it just doesn't smell fresh.:nono:

I can't believe I used to go weeks and weeks without washing my hair. I could never do that now.:nono:

Inches411

I know my hair is dirty dirty if the shaft is very dry and the scalp is oily. Also, even after just a few days of not washing it just smells "not so clean". It's not filthy or anything at that point but it just doesn't smell fresh.:nono:

I can't believe I used to go weeks and weeks without washing my hair. I could never do that now.:nono:

this is weird cause my scalp never gets oily... i swear...

Isis

I don't wait to see if my hair is dirty. I wash twice each week with diluted shampoo, focusing on my scalp. Usually by day four, my hair doesn't swing as much. Plus, hair picks up odors wherever we go. I prefer my hair smelling fresh and clean. :yep:

NYAmicas

Seeker
When it may be time to wash.......seeing dandruff, crud on scalp, smelly hair. You'll definetly know when it's time. Some people believe not washing aids in grownth and others believe the opposite.

Danichoo

Hi

I know my hair needs washing when it feels dry or doesnt hold a style. I dont use oils on my hair (only pre pooing) or grease my scalp so, general lack of compliance signals for me.

I co wash once a week and shampoo with DC once a week.

D

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I don't wait to see if my hair is dirty. I wash twice each week with diluted shampoo, focusing on my scalp. Usually by day four, my hair doesn't swing as much. Plus, hair picks up odors wherever we go. I prefer my hair smelling fresh and clean. :yep:

Me too! I wash everyday (with diluted shampoo or conditioner). This has been working for me. Water is the best moisturizer!

tenjoy

I have been washing once a week, sometimes twice. before LHCF i was one of those offenders :grin:. Then I progressed to every 2 weeks. Now I enjoy washing my hair, even if I do nothing but a single braid afterwards. It's just so relaxing and refreshing :yep::yep:

mochamadness

Going the Distance
I usually at least wash once a week w/o fail, so I doubt that my hair is ever really dirty so to speak, but I know its time to wash when my scalp and hair feel oily and when my hair starts shedding for no reason.

Sunnrayy

I usually at least wash once a week w/o fail, so I doubt that my hair is ever really dirty so to speak, but I know its time to wash when my scalp and hair feel oily and when my hair starts shedding for no reason.

Thats the same with me.....my hair starts shedding like crazy when I need to wash it....does anyone have an idea why the shedding happens when your hair is dirty?:look:

Starian

Thats the same with me.....my hair starts shedding like crazy when I need to wash it....does anyone have an idea why the shedding happens when your hair is dirty?:look:

I dunno. Maybe the follicles are like "Too...much...dirt...heavy...must fall out..." :look:

Maybe someone has a scientific answer.

LadyKaypnyc

My hair is the same way, I don't get any buildup or anything, but when one uses products that have cones in them, then cowashing doesn't get rid of that. So, as a general rule, I clarify once a month.

malibu4590

My routine consists of washing my hair every Sunday -- dirty or not.

If I have a sew-in, I'll wash every other Sunday.

productjunkie814

I used to wash my hair once a week because I thought that more than that was not good for my hair. And then I found this site and found that the opposite was true! My hair would be incredibly dry by the end of the week and I would start to flake up, no matter how much moisturizer I would use. Now I co-wash every other day and I no longer have that problem. Plus, now that it's warm i've been running outside and I sweat more than before, lol. With the brand new short hair, I've found that my hair lurves, lurves, lurves the added moisture that co-washes give.

Opalsunset

I know my hair is dirty when it starts looking dull from the moisturizers and oils over the week. I try to wash my hair at least once a week...