The Ugly Truth: I Jacked Up My Hairline Again

MJ

Hi everyone,

Just a word of warning be Very careful with braids. I lost my hairline AGAIN. Except this time it wasn't due to too tight braids and cornrows, but to rock-hard build up that no amount of conditioner, unbraid spray, or patience could untangle.

I did everything right: moisturize frequently, dilute all shampoos and conditioners, shampooed only once each week, but rinse with water at least 2x in between. Infact I haven't used any conditioner in the last month (since I redid them) only a mixture of Infusium and braid spray carefully applied with a sea sponge to avoid the scalp area except after shampooing, and yet I still had build up so bad I had to cut another section out.

I can't stretch my relaxer past 8 weeks without braids and my hair only grow 1/4" each month which would result in seriously overlapping if I get a touch up every 8 weeks. I'm just tired of all this, trying to grow and maintain healthy hair is like a full time job... :(.

See for yourself and please learn from my mistake (mine was to use CON on my braids, I never had build up issues when I used Humectress to shampoo my braids).
http://public.fotki.com/mzjones/braids/
pw: cando (feels more like can't do)

Last edited:

reformatio

Revenge of the Sith
I am sorry this happened to you; I hope your road to recovery goes smoothly.
mzjones said:
See for yourself and please learn from my mistake (mine was to use CON on my braids, I never had build up issues when I used Humectress to shampoo my braids).
Hmmm... I might have to rethink my braid regimen. I had planned to continue to using my regular conditioner [Creme of Nature] on my braided hair. Did you used the Ultra Moisturizing Formula?

gn1g

Well, like I've said . . . be encouraged it will grow back!
My hairline fell out twice, the first time from wearing an instant weave wig. That comb that attaches to your hair will eat your hair up. The second time I had washed my hair with some PM tea tree shampoo and reached for Motions SIlk Protein conditioner and instead it was Motions relaxer. I purchased some hair grease from a woman who received the recipe to make the grease from the Holy SPirit. That grease grew my hair back in less than 7 days. I use it all the time and it is the best thing I've ever used on my hair I honestly believe it was given to her by God and that those that use it will cross her path only because of God. It is called Sunrise Products Added Touch hair pomade. PM me for her phone number. SHe doesn't have a website yet.

HTH

Luvableboo

Oooohh my gosh.... Girl I few months ago I lost my hairline too! Due to braids being to tight... it was a mess. I just babied my hair alone for awhile and stretched my relaxer for a break. Since like February.. I feel you Girl.... It will grow back...

MJ

Thanks everyone,

I'm sad, but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude, especially thinking that since it's only June it's possible for me to gain (if I double my current growth rate) 4" by December.

Reformatio:

Yes, the one in the green bottle. It works great on my relax hair and ironically, it did really help to moisturize the braids but... I won't ever use it with braids again. I don't know if anyone else experienced this problem with CON. Adrienne0914 and AJamericanDiva both used Keracare Hydrating/Detangling shampoo in their braid regimen successfully (I may even try that) so you definately can have much success without using CON. Happy growing :) .

reformatio said:
I am sorry this happened to you; I hope your road to recovery goes smoothly.

Hmmm... I might have to rethink my braid regimen. I had planned to continue to using my regular conditioner [Creme of Nature] on my braided hair. Did you used the Ultra Moisturizing Formula?

Damage Control: My next touch up (after 21 weeks) will be on June 14. But after that I'm planning not to touch up again until December... When I thought about how to grow the hair back, the first things that came to mind were essential oils and a self-created topical biotin creme. I'm going follow that intuition and see where it takes me...

mzjones

Last edited:

hopeful

Sorry about your hairline problem. Be encouraged it'll grow back with a lot of babying, conditioning, moisture and low manipulation. Good luck.

CORBINS

MzJones:
I am also a braider. I just recently braided my hair. I used to have the same problem that you're having. I started rebraiding my edges and back every week sometimes every 2 weeks, I know it sounds like a lot, but about 2 years ago I started doing that to get rid of the build-up and it worked. I haven't lost my edges in almost 2 years when braided. I also agree about the shampoo as well, I only use Humetress when I shampoo and I don't have any problems. I did have problems when I used CON, it leaves a lot of buildup. You shouldn't use any shampoos with cones in them, they cause a bunch of buildup!

carmend

Ive had these issues in the past too so I definitely feel you. What I do now is I use ORS Fertilizing Temple balm everyday on my edges to help keep them growing while in braids. I also do vinegar rinses at least once a week to help remove the buildup. As u mentioned some type of braid removal spray is a must.

Belle Du Jour

Even though braids jack up my hairline too, and I vow to never get them again, I always get the braid bug and put them in thinking something will be different this time. And everytime I take them out, I lose my hairline. I just massage that part of my hairline, and hope that I really will stay away from braids.

Eiano

Advice, do or don't take..

I'm a braider and have stopped having problems after I stopped doing so much to it. Like you, I'd wash my hair every week or 2 and put all this moisturizer in it. What you don't know is that although you may think you're getting it all out when you wash it, you're not. The moisturizers seep into the hair and into the braids, and we all know you can't wash a really tight braid. Why don't you try getting braids again and not do anything to them. (I don't wash my hair OR add infusium like Robin Woods says too.. I don't add anything. I just rinse it in the shower with water when it's time to.)

Honi

There is no board.
mzjones said:
Hi everyone,

Just a word of warning be Very careful with braids. I lost my hairline AGAIN. Except this time it wasn't due to too tight braids and cornrows, but to rock-hard build up that no amount of conditioner, unbraid spray, or patience could untangle.

I did everything right: moisturize frequently, dilute all shampoos and conditioners, shampooed only once each week, but rinse with water at least 2x in between. Infact I haven't used any conditioner in the last month (since I redid them) only a mixture of Infusium and braid spray carefully applied with a sea sponge to avoid the scalp area except after shampooing, and yet I still had build up so bad I had to cut another section out.

I can't stretch my relaxer past 8 weeks without braids and my hair only grow 1/4" each month which would result in seriously overlapping if I get a touch up every 8 weeks. I'm just tired of all this, trying to grow and maintain healthy hair is like a full time job... :(.

http://public.fotki.com/mzjones/braids/
pw: cando (feels more like can't do)

It will grow back. Just baby it. I'm wondering if it was the infusium. How does that work for you when your not in braids??? I never had a good experience with it. Made my hair hard and tangly like. Perhaps this was the culprit?

OT: Not to make light of your situation but I love the way you put that album together. Reads like a CSI crime scene! I love the diagram.

webby

Think Slim
I just wanted to say I'm really sorry about your struggle. I'm currently trying to thicken up my hairline from post-partum shedding. I completely feel your pain, but I'm confident that with nuturing, good products it will grow back.

Shatani

carmend said:
Ive had these issues in the past too so I definitely feel you. What I do now is I use ORS Fertilizing Temple balm everyday on my edges to help keep them growing while in braids. I also do vinegar rinses at least once a week to help remove the buildup. As u mentioned some type of braid removal spray is a must.
i was wondering, is shampooing really even necessary??? i thought i might skip the shampoo and just do ACV rinses instead of shampooing....can that work?

Healthb4Length

I'm so sorry U had 2 go thru this! My only advice to you would be to baby your hair back to health. Maybe surge would help, essential oils are good too. If you go to this site, you'll get detailed info (it's updated now so I'm not sure) on how to take care of braided hair. To be honest I don't follow it 100% because I know I'll get major build-up with conditioner, I really have to dilute it not to get the build up, so I just used a dime size amount and fill up a 16 oz cup with H2O and that worked for me the last time. Whenever I wash my braids I use diluted shampoo, I then spray a strengthner like infusium all over and NEVER directly on or anywhere near my scalp. I then spray African Royale spray now the lenght of the braids, again I never spray anything on the scalp area (U mentioned apply stuff to your scalp with a sponge), if you must oil your scalp then use light oils like jojoba or olive oil, never anything in a pomade form. When I remove my braids I run H20 over them so that removal is relatively easy, if you have build up, don't try to comb thru it and putting on conditioner can worsen the problem, gently use your thumb and index fingers on both hands and loosen the build up (Hope that's not confusing to understand) gently loosen back and forth until the build up eventually dissolve. You can go to www.growafrohairlong.com for even more tips! AJamericanDiva has great tips as well, you'll have to look up her post on tips for braid success.:)

L

lkg4healthyhair

When I had braids I did not wash my hair. I just used Stay so fro and when I took them out (2.5mths) my hair was soft and moist and very healthy. I used Infusium once in a while also.

Shatani

lkg4healthyhair said:
When I had braids I did not wash my hair. I just used Stay so fro and when I took them out (2.5mths) my hair was soft and moist and very healthy. I used Infusium once in a while also.
thats what i used to do too....ive always been a braids gal and i rarely used to wash my hair when i had braids in it.....

right now i want to keep my scalp clean and my hair moisturized....but ive never had any breakage problems before, so maybe if it aint broke dont fix it?? :ohwell:

Last edited:

jamiette

CORBINS said:
MzJones:
I am also a braider. I just recently braided my hair. I used to have the same problem that you're having. I started rebraiding my edges and back every week sometimes every 2 weeks, I know it sounds like a lot, but about 2 years ago I started doing that to get rid of the build-up and it worked. I haven't lost my edges in almost 2 years when braided. I also agree about the shampoo as well, I only use Humetress when I shampoo and I don't have any problems. I did have problems when I used CON, it leaves a lot of buildup. You shouldn't use any shampoos with cones in them, they cause a bunch of buildup!
I was going to suggest the same thing. It seems as that the only way I avoid that buildup is if I rebraid my edges every few weeks. Take heart girl, with a little TLC it will grow back before you know it!! :Rose:

MJ

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your comments (I'm taking notes)...

Corbins
When I do my next set of braids I'm going to follow your routine and redo the edges every 2 weeks. It does sound like alot, but I think it would work.

carmend
Hmm, I never thought about ACV in braids. I'll do some more research on ACV and then decide. I wonder if it'd make the braids as shiny as it does my real hair.

classimami713
My hair puffs like crazy even with only a 1/2" of new growth, I need braids to stretch. But I feel ya...

Eiano
Won't go back to washing every 2 weeks. When I was I had split ends and breakage like nobody's business. One day I'll post the pics of my pre-LHCF hair. Thanks tho...

Honi
Thanks, what happened was a crime (lol). The only reason why I don't think it's the infusium is because I always used it on my braids and I didn't have any build up issues when I was using it with Humectress. I only use it when I have braids/cornrows with extensions tho...

Webby
Thanks. Good luck with yours too.

Shatani
I'm going to look into that.

Alli77
I've been following Robin's advice (I learned to braid using her video). I heavily dilute as well, usually putting about 2-3 tsp of shampoo or conditioner in a 20 oz sport drink bottle (with spigot), fill that 2/3 way up and use... I've also used her technique to unravel build with much success, except with those three.

lkg4healthyhair
My hair itch and break like crazy if I don't wash at least once each week. I have a cousin who goes months without washing and her hair grew too... To each his own I guess. Thanks.

MJ

I forgot to add,

I did try surge and it did nothing for me. The very first time I used it something really strange happened: as soon as the spray hit my scalped, my scalp tightened and then I had a slight headache that lasted for maybe 30 minutes. It never happened again, but I never say any "extra" growth either. I'm still trying to finish to bottle, but i may just dump the remainder and keep the bottle (it sprays well).

cutebajangirl

I do the following:

I redo my edges every two weeks like Corbins suggested and I wash weekly with diluted poo and NO conditioner. Also I dont put anything on my braids except for Better Braid Un Braid spray for the glycerin. I dont have any build up when I do this. Also if you end up with build up again you can take the clumps out with a safety pin and go from there.

FashionistaNY

I had to learn the hardway as well. The hair line is very delicate. I'm in the process of growing out my hair again after a bad experience and for me the best thing is no hair extensions, instant weaves etc etc. PERIOD! It's to the point, I'm scared of false hair touching my hair in fear of the chemicals used to process the hair damaging my own.

MJ

Happy Update :)

I finished taking the braids out today. I used the Unbraid spray and had no problem at all. It did what it promised: easy take down and soft hair. It was as if the cuts were a bad dream. As for the new growth, I seem to have twice as much in the back and top of my head than at the sides, but I'm not complaining.

I washed my and rollerset my hair without problems either. My new growth is soft and very moisturize. So uneventful...:D

Wash...

Shampoo: Tom's of Maine (1x) and Therappe (1x)
Cholesterol/Deep condition: Lekair whipped with Aloe vera jell and honey (cover hair with 2 plastic caps and left in for 4 hours without heat)
ACV Rinse: 4 tbsp ACV to 30 oz water
Leave ins: homemade aloe leave in (aloe jell with a few drops of rosemary and lavendar essential oils) + a mixture of Humectress and S-curl.
Rollerset and is allowing to airdry overnight

On Thursday I plan to do a molasses-egg-aloe treatment and then get a touch up on Sunday or Monday.

It's feels so great to see all my hair out. It's been 3 months!

FYI: Robin updated the Crown and Glory website, she too is now recommending redoing the hairline every 2 weeks.

thatscuteright

hopeful said:
Sorry about your hairline problem. Be encouraged it'll grow back with a lot of babying, conditioning, moisture and low manipulation. Good luck.

I am so sorry about your hairline, I saw the pictures, and I was expecting alot worse. It will grow back thicker and healthier:)