The PRODUCT JUNKIE Diet...

Syrah

Raise your right hand and repeat after me:

I, (insert name), hereby declare that I am a product junkie.

Hey ladies. I'm new to the boards. Ya'll are some inspirational sisters, to say the least. :)

Back to the subject...so this weekend I was cleaning out my bathroom (why I don't know) and realized, I'm a product junkie. :::waving hand::: Yes I admit it. And you know some of you out there reading this are too.

I've got NeXXus, Keracare, Elasta QP, Pantene R&N, Abba, Crome, L'anza, Sebastian, Infusium, TIGI (Toni & Guy), Back to Basics, Ecoly... ladies, I found 9 shampoos when I started cleaning. All half used. Why, you ask? Because I see the sisters here, and there progress, and read their regimens, and think "if it works for them, surely it'll work for me".

What I've learned? When you really get into it, most of the products out there are great for the hair...for different types of hair. The products are probably 30% of the battle. BUT THE TRUE work, is in what you do with the products and how you care for your hair.

So I decided, I'm going on a product diet.

Who's with me?

MizaniMami

I....Can't...Do....It.....:dizzy:

Seriously, I want (and seriously NEED to) join this challenge so bad. But There are too many things that I want right now. I've gotten to the point where I don't care how much money I spend, which is seriously sad. I find myself spening about 100 dollars a month, but yet I have no car, hardly any savings, and a huge credit card bill, not to mention I am a college student. :(

I promise myself I will take this thread into serious consideration. But now is not the time for me.
Oh, and welcome!!!! Glad to see you here.

so1913

Shoot, I need to. My butt could hardly pay the rent messing with this board! LOL!!!

SparklingFlame

Good luck!!! I am just so thankful that I found products that work for me that aren't too exspensive. I am no longer a pj! I think it helps to find the right products that work for you and make yourself stick to them. I must admit its hard at times, but I just stick to my guns and not go into a BSS if I don't need anything, and when I do have to go in the BSS I get what I need quick, and then get out fast!!! :lol:

kreeme

Count me in. As a matter of fact, I need to call my homegirl and get her in on this too, we JUST talked about this yesterday. We have got to stop buying every thing in site. Well...I need to stop buying every thing in site...I blame her as well. I mean, what kind of friend is she?! If you can't hold my hand 24 hours a day 7 days a week and help me control my PJ binges...what kind of friend is she? :lol:

**running out of thread before she catches me**

Syrah

You know it's bad when you start having conversations with people...

"Hey, have you tried _____". Yea I got some of that at home
"What about ______". Yea, got some of that too.
"_____ dried my hair out". Shoot, I've got half a bottle of that at home too.

I think I'm following in MaCherieAmour's footsteps. Products are made to compliment other products. I'm not sure I'm getting the full benefits if I'm washing my hair with a, using b as a conditioner, c as a leave in and then using d's hair oils.

I'm trying to decide between Formula's by Ecoly (sulfate free formulas), Crome (sulfate free) and Ikon. I love Abba but I want to try something else...

...shoot, there I go again.

kreeme

MsNadi, you ain't neva lied! One of my girlfriends always makes fun of me. She's like, you got everything. Every time I talk about a hair problem with one of my kids, here you come pulling something out from under the bathroom sink. She swears I've been robbing the asian bss. :lol:

trinidarkie1

Im on my way there too, I have a 3 tier drawer set full of products and 2 large baskets.. stop the madness!
I Spent $80 on products between Mon and Tuesday. can you believe that?

kreeme

trinidarkie1 said:
Im on my way there too, I have a 3 tier drawer set full of products and 2 large baskets.. stop the madness!
I Spent $80 on products between Mon and Tuesday. can you believe that?

Girl, go on and give me your debit card. You know you ain't got no business spending that much money in one week on hair care products! I thought I was bad, but you got it BAD! :lol:

Nanyanika

naturallady said:
Good luck!!! I am just so thankful that I found products that work for me that aren't too exspensive. I am no longer a pj! I think it helps to find the right products that work for you and make yourself stick to them. I must admit its hard at times, but I just stick to my guns and not go into a BSS if I don't need anything, and when I do have to go in the BSS I get what I need quick, and then get out fast!!! :lol:
ITA, I am no longer a product junkie i've found all my staples and they are very cheap and most of them i make myself. purchasing and using too many products, only caused more unnecessary damage to my hair. when you find your staples stick to them. good luck

BrownBetty

I'm in... I cleaned out my closet and have put my my non staples for sales (product exchange, hint hint). My next purchase is BBD stretch and then after that just replacing staples. I actually picked up a new NTM product today and put it down, "vee u don't need it" was what I told myself.

Healthb4Length

Yeah I'm a junkie too! I went through my arsenal of products I have so much stuff! But the thing is I'm addicted to conditioners; moisturizing, protein, reconstructors... I only have 2 bottles of shampoos and they are almost finished. I use shampoos sparingly but I use loads of conditioners, a 16oz jar only lasts me for 2-3 sessions, this is why I'm a PJ! I also use up my styling products fairly quickly but I do have staples, like GIovanni DIrect Leave-in, Elasta's Mango butter & Recovery those I will always purchase. I want to try BBD's stretch and glass next.

lmjenk67

Count me in! I'm not only going to stop buying products (mostly conditioners) but I'm also going to confiscate all of Kreeme's credit/debit cards and checks!:lol: Every time she buys a product then she brings me some of it! She also brings it to me if she decides she doesn't like the product. I guess she doesn't feel as guilty if she shares what she has purchased. Just think of all the starving kids (U.S. and worldwide) that we could be feeding with our monthly spending habits for hair products.

NO MORE PRODUCTS, NO MORE PRODUCTS, NO MORE PRODUCTS!!! At least until I run out of all my conditioners.:grin:

PrincessScorpion

This diet sounds nice, but if I said I would join in I know I would be lying. :lachen: I am a true PJ’er and to some point I think I will always be. Whether it is shampoo, conditioner, body products, and or fragrances I will always have an arsenal of products. Just ask the ladies at the DC meeting. I came in with 2 large shopping bags of products for our exchange.

I am better of losing weight with Weight Watchers than this diet.

PS. Trinidarkie I have you bet I spent $150 in three days just on hair products!

dlewis

I'm a recovering product junkie, I have learning NOT to buy EVERYTHING everyone says is great. Now, I do a little research before buying. My cabinets and drawers are loaded with things that I never use. I have found creative ways to use these products like, using shampoos as liquid soap or dishwashing liquid or for washing delicate clothes.

I use to spend $100+ a month on products now, I only spend maybe $25-$50 on hair product a month. So, I'm getting better.

trinidarkie1

kreeme said:
Girl, go on and give me your debit card. You know you ain't got no business spending that much money in one week on hair care products! I thought I was bad, but you got it BAD! :lol:

:perplexed My gf just told me not to buy anything else.
And that I should focus on my face care now, my hair is covered for a long while
I am addicted to the hairstore now!!!

I bought the Cantu Breakcure, Elasta QP Moisture Recovery, Some Fantasia oil therapy thingy, Porosity control, Humectress and Therappe, Isoplus tea tree and aloe, Kemi Oyl, Doo Gro wild growth Oil, surge moisture aide and some other stuff.. cant remember

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Hey girl, and Welcome aboard. Well for me I think I just have a shopping problem overall. First it was every poo and conditioner that my gutt feeling told me I had to have I bought. Then It was Vitamins, now I have too many to even think about taking. Then Oils I had to have them all Grapeseed, avacodo, EVOO, Jojoba, Amla, Brahmi, Castor ...... etc. Now it has made it back to my original shopping problem clothing, shoes and bags all at one time. I think one pjism dies and anothing starts back up for me. :ohwell: :look:

sprungonhairboards

OK I'm in....I guess...reluctantly :look:

I bought EVOO yesterday and today I bought the ION soft bonnet space helmet. Now I'm ready. ;) For real :look:

Actually on second thought maybe a pj diet would work better for me after my membership to this board expires. :ohwell:

Dogmd

You guys are good!!!

I envy you all.. i tried this PJ Diet...but as soon as I walked into JC Penney (fast walking past the salon)... I happened to look up and they had Humectress Liters for only $12.00.. I just had to get um......

trinidarkie1

I have to go to the hairstore to get rods tomorrow morning, I need somebody to go with me so that I buy just that.

BTW, If I dont want to add setting lotion or gel when I wrap my wet hair around the rods, what do I use then?

LABETT

I clean out my stash of hair products and could not believe how many productsI had at least 15 salon lines not including dominican products.
I am more of a conditioner junkie I rotate several.
It does not help that I get products half price and find most of them on sale.
My neighbor is having so much fun with my products.

scoobygirl

I just cleaned out about 1/2 my stash today. I donated all my hair stuff and all of my body lotions that I don't use to the homeless shelter. But somehow bottles keep popping up everywhere. I guess I just forgot where I put some things. I think I'll do a return trip to the shelter next week for the remaining items.

trinidarkie1

Hey ladies, another PJ here. I havent bought anything since Wednesday/Thursday night.. yippee!

How are you ladies keeping up?

trinidarkie1

i'm doing horribly on this PJ diet.
I bought a heat conditioning cap and a flat iron, both by Gold n Hot.
A box of ORS Olive Oil relaxer, regular. Curling Rods, some shower caps and a pack of braids to do my tracks for my sew in.

BrownBetty

trinidarkie1 said:
i'm doing horribly on this PJ diet.
I bought a heat conditioning cap and a flat iron, both by Gold n Hot.
A box of ORS Olive Oil relaxer, regular. Curling Rods, some shower caps and a pack of braids to do my tracks for my sew in.

I am doing great! I bought replacement products:

Poo - Creme of Nature
con - Lekair Shea Butter

I did buy some oils but there were cheap (indian) but I needed them.