The Original Fine hair thread 2014 **

coolsista-paris

@coolsista-paris
Thanks! I have to just stick with it and stop jumping on bandwagons. Texturizing I think is the best thing Ive ever done for my hair. Its no longer flat to my head like when I was relaxed bone straight. It looks and feels thicker. I am 5 weeks post today so think I will texturize TU at 12 weeks. I stretched to about 16 weeks last time but I don't think I retained anything. I will also focus more on the crown area this time bc thats where my hair is more difficult to straighten.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

can you still wher eyour hair straight easily? Or do you have to use the flat iron/blow dryer?

I am planning on using lye relaxer at next touch up. And doing it myself but i want to leave a bit more texture. I dont seem bone straight (im actually not sure of what bone straight is).

I want a little texture but i want to mostly wear it straight.

I am stretching for the first time of my life. Im at 11 weeks post :grin:

I cant beleive i used to relax about every 6 weeks before.....and never moisturize, wash like every 3 weeks....never trim..oh my gosh ! no wonder my hair was ugly and damaged.

Crystal22

oh, by the way i decided tk stop birth control pills.... i dont know whats gonna happen with my hair. ive been taking them for years!!!!!!!

i heard for some people bcp thinned their hair... anyone heard or experienced this?

im hoping that mine will now thicken up a little ....

It can go either way. When I stopped a couple of years ago when thinking of getting pregnant my hair thinned significantly. I went back on them and it kinda stalled the shedding. Then about six months later when we really did decide to have a baby I stopped again and started sew ins and my hair grew alot which was probably due to the pregnancy itself. Now I'm back on bcp again and it has shed again but that's probably due to a number of things like postpartum sheding, lack of reggie, lack if time spent on hair etc...

I need to post my info in here too. Be back later.

Last edited:

Crystal22

What steps do you relaxed ladies take after you get a retouch? I got my retouch Friday and I got a protein tx after my perm then. When I was this week at home what should I do? I plan on doing a tea rinse and pre poo with oil. Can I do both at the same time to save time?

krissyhair

dont cut. just dust the hair. baby the crown more that the rest.

Dont put your buns at the crown. (that broke my crown severely) !!!!

Im also tempted in cutting my hair again to catch up the crown but that will be too much. My hair is near apl .. the crown has parts at nl ! im so annoyed at myslef for not noticing earlier....but i will see.

On this fine hair when i wear it down with product in it , there are see through parts because of the missing volume at the crown.

This is al so fustrating

Sigh, another person with a short, thin, kinkier crown here. My edges are also longer and straighter. This is just a wild guess, but something makes me want to say it's a result of the endocrine system, depositing more sebum at the edges of the hair. Maybe the condition of the scalp is different there too.

I have been oiling my roots at the crown to give them extra lubrication and strength. I have to be careful what kind of tools I use when wearing half up half down hair styles. I also resist the urge to only apply product to the perimeter.

But seeing as this section of hair has been shorter for years and years despite my healthy hair growth, I would not cut it to match the rest of the hair.

Dilettante

dont cut. just dust the hair. baby the crown more that the rest. Dont put your buns at the crown. (that broke my crown severely) !!!! Im also tempted in cutting my hair again to catch up the crown but that will be too much. My hair is near apl .. the crown has parts at nl ! im so annoyed at myslef for not noticing earlier....but i will see. On this fine hair when i wear it down with product in it , there are see through parts because of the missing volume at the crown. This is al so fustrating

I wear high buns in the crown area a lot. That's probably a significant factor. It's just such a good lazy day style. The upper layer of my hair is shoulder length. I'm realizing that my hair isn't quite as thin as I'd been thinking (though it is thin/fine), it's just so uneven that it's missing bulk in the lower half

coolsista-paris

Sigh, another person with a short, thin, kinkier crown here. My edges are also longer and straighter. This is just a wild guess, but something makes me want to say it's a result of the endocrine system, depositing more sebum at the edges of the hair. Maybe the condition of the scalp is different there too. I have been oiling my roots at the crown to give them extra lubrication and strength. I have to be careful what kind of tools I use when wearing half up half down hair styles. I also resist the urge to only apply product to the perimeter. But seeing as this section of hair has been shorter for years and years despite my healthy hair growth, I would not cut it to match the rest of the hair.

many people suffer at the crown. it seems as if its the hardest part to deal with( for me it sure is).

i know i used to apply treatments and moisturize the edges way better than the crown. bad bad i know. but ive learnt my lesson. im being careful now to focus more at that area.

i dont even know if it needs moisture or protein as it will break no matter what :-/ !

coolsista-paris

I wear high buns in the crown area a lot. That's probably a significant factor. It's just such a good lazy day style. The upper layer of my hair is shoulder length. I'm realizing that my hair isn't quite as thin as I'd been thinking (though it is thin/fine), it's just so uneven that it's missing bulk in the lower half

im missing bulk at te crown and especially on the left side... (i had severe crown breakage) and its upsetting.

i have fine strands (maybe a few medium at the crown)?
and i seem to have high density hair. it looks full when its not weighed down by product.

i might start texturizing too

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Another crown sufferer. Mine is finer and type 4c while the rest is 4a/b. I found I manipulate the crown too much. Hands always in it absentmindedly twirling and fluffing it :rolleyes: And my efforts to give it more babying with more DC, scalp massage made it worse. Still too much manipulation.

PSing for now and it's doing better.

Dilettante

Another crown sufferer. Mine is finer and type 4c while the rest is 4a/b. I found I manipulate the crown too much. Hands always in it absentmindedly twirling and fluffing it :rolleyes: And my efforts to give it more babying with more DC, scalp massage made it worse. Still too much manipulation.

PSing for now and it's doing better.

Yeah hand-in-hair-syndrome has definitely contributed to me jacked up crown.

I find that protective styling is almost a 100% no go for me. I've never been able to find a style that protected my ends, kept my hair moisturized, didn't cause massive tangling, and actually looked good on me. I think it's much harder to protective style with fine coily strands, because they love to mesh together.

coolsista-paris

Yeah hand-in-hair-syndrome has definitely contributed to me jacked up crown. I find that protective styling is almost a 100% no go for me. I've never been able to find a style that protected my ends, kept my hair moisturized, didn't cause massive tangling, and actually looked good on me. I think it's much harder to protective style with fine coily strands, because they love to mesh together.

i second this! as a natural i always struggled to find a ps that didnt mess up my ends. well, nothing seemed to work . except buns which finally killd ly edges and crown!

now im relaxed i pin it up, like a bun but its loose. i need to look for something else though. this is boring me. i need to find more ideas of ps

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Yeah hand-in-hair-syndrome has definitely contributed to me jacked up crown.

I find that protective styling is almost a 100% no go for me. I've never been able to find a style that protected my ends, kept my hair moisturized, didn't cause massive tangling, and actually looked good on me. I think it's much harder to protective style with fine coily strands, because they love to mesh together.

Yes! my coils are coffee stirer small. Crochet braids work ok if the corn rows aren't too tight. Extension twists are ok and what I have now. I only shampoo when needed every cpl weeks, cowash and seal several times a week. Never had moisture or tangling issues once I realized this. Actually, I've had moisture overload problems after take downs and need hard protein.

Also we can't keep it on for long. Maybe 3 weeks. Then I will clarify and dust if needed to spare my ends.

Any way, fine hair maintenance is a pain

Last edited:

loulou82

I've been noticing the same thing with my hair recently. The longest layer of my hair reaches to my bra and beneath the bones of my shoulder blades. My crown area...not so much. I'm not sure how to combat this. I don't want to cut :ohwell:

I have the opposite issue. My sides and crown give the most growth but my bangs and nape grow slowly AND are the most fragile. :ohwell:

I think I finally have the "health" of my hair under control but I still experience slight breakage. Light and medium proteins are really helping me.

Medium twists have been working but if I make them too small or leave them in too long (beyond 3 weeks); I'm gonna have a problem on my hands.

Babygrowth

hair type: 4abc
length: Neck length, grazing SL
Goal: ultimate goal is WL but APL by the end of this year
natural/relaxed/texlaxed : texlaxed
porosity (if you know): high-normal
Reggie: I used to prepoo with a thick creamy conditioner, detangle, cleanse, then RO and airdry/band put in plaits and wig it; now I may prepoo but with oil unless my hair is particularly dry and I will use a thick creamy condish, cleanse, RO condish and detangle, DC, airdry/band til about 60%, blowdry on low heat or cool 1x/wk, m/s 3x week, massage jbco into scalp; might wear it out or might plait it to wig it. I'm in a weave now.
any hair secret/advice you got ? Airdrying is not for me. My hair grew best with weekly rollersets and regular salon grade products. Now I will keep using my natural products but I am not afraid of cones or heat anymore. I also can't do long stretches although I keep doing them hoping that I get it right one of these times. This is my last long stretch then I'm going to start texlaxing at every 12-16 weeks. Also trimming/dusting every 8 weeks seems to really work when I'm consistent.

picture for those wanting to share a starting pic

Sorry its upside down but here you can see all my thickness is in the crown with some decent length, my nape and sides have length but are much thinner. Alot of that is breakage from letting the wrong ppl do my hair, overprocessing and underprocessing, and butcher cuts. Despite all that she's still thriving and finally getting somewhere!

ForumRunner_20140216_182542.jpg

almond eyes

For me I had to stop the madness and give up relaxers and texturisers. I am transitioning now which I started in January 2014. I was in denial but my fine hair became even finer with relaxers and with texturisers my hair because of its different textures and density was hard to process it all properly even with a hair dresser doing my hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Hair seems to be doing well. My roots seem to be kind of thick with this Priteva. Hopefully it continues in this direction. I'm continuing with NJoy's sulfur oil as well. Need all the help I can get to reach MBL (and maybe grazing waist) this year.

coolsista-paris

For me I had to stop the madness and give up relaxers and texturisers. I am transitioning now which I started in January 2014. I was in denial but my fine hair became even finer with relaxers and with texturisers my hair because of its different textures and density was hard to process it all properly even with a hair dresser doing my hair. Best, Almond Eyes

oh wow . im new to this relaxing thing (since end of november). i hope ill be able to manage my hair Well.
so we swop : i relaxed from 6 years natural and you are transitionning :)

HoneyBadger

loulou82 Do you mind sharing what you use on your ends?
:yay:

hair type: 4 a/b, tightly coiled, frizzy, tangle, ssk and split prone

length: BSB

goal: WHip/ Elbow (around 21 inches)

natural/relaxed/texlaxed: natural

porosity: high porosity but trying to correct it with the use of proteins, ceramides and ACV rinses

regimen:

Living in medium twists.

Few times a week: LCOB; started to incorporate baggying because of winter weather

Once a week or bi weekly: pre shampoo, de-tangle, apply conditioner, de-tangle some more, apply a top layer of light protein conditioner, leave on for 5-10 minutes with shower cap, rinse, oil, leave-in, butter, re-twist.

Once a month: pre shampoo, de-tangle, shampoo, moisturizing DC, protein conditioner, ACV rinse, leave in, oil, butter, twist.

Tips and tricks that work for me: keep hair stretched, layer products on ends to keep them soft supple and tangle free, incorporate protein, use less tools (combs, brushes, heating appliances), work in sections, de-tangle throughly

Older picture but I'm at this length... again. Let's grow!

almond eyes

oh wow . im new to this relaxing thing (since end of november). i hope ill be able to manage my hair Well.
so we swop : i relaxed from 6 years natural and you are transitionning :)

Yeah, I tried so hard to make it work. But everyone noticed a big difference in my hair when I wasn't relaxed when I did my press and curls my hair was bouncy and had volume literally my natural hair a few years ago was the bomb people thought I wore wigs and I would be stopped on the street and not because it was like that long but because it was very bouncy and when I did not press it I had styles that took forever to do but they suited me. With the relaxer my hair became finer but I blame a lot of that on the over processing my hair dresser did two years ago and since then it never really recovered. The only thing that I liked about my relaxer was the ability to slick back my hair which was my signature look. Now that I am transitioning yet again I have really come a long way about hair care and I will be using extension braids and straight blowouts and stretched looks for my hair styles. And funny enough family and friends have told me that my relaxed hair does nothing for me and when I look back at my hair when it was natural, they are so right.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

coolsista-paris

Yeah, I tried so hard to make it work. But everyone noticed a big difference in my hair when I wasn't relaxed when I did my press and curls my hair was bouncy and had volume literally my natural hair a few years ago was the bomb people thought I wore wigs and I would be stopped on the street and not because it was like that long but because it was very bouncy and when I did not press it I had styles that took forever to do but they suited me. With the relaxer my hair became finer but I blame a lot of that on the over processing my hair dresser did two years ago and since then it never really recovered. The only thing that I liked about my relaxer was the ability to slick back my hair which was my signature look. Now that I am transitioning yet again I have really come a long way about hair care and I will be using extension braids and straight blowouts and stretched looks for my hair styles. And funny enough family and friends have told me that my relaxed hair does nothing for me and when I look back at my hair when it was natural, they are so right. Best, Almond Eyes

hey there you go! you've got your hair history here.

you are sure gonna enjoy your new journey! i might go natural again in a few years. if i feel like it, i will do it.

now im relaxed but i know my hair well, i will baby this hair and reach my goals

charmtreese

Fine haired lady here!!! hair type: Mostly 4b with some 4a in the back length: CBL Goal: Mid-Back natural/relaxed/texlaxed : Natural porosity (if you know): Normal Reggie: M&S daily, Double Pineapple and baggie puffs nightly, Wash weekly which includes: Pre-poo w/oil & conditioner and steam. Wash hair in twist with shampoo diluted with AVJ, Reconstructor, Deep Condition, Apply Leave-ins, Twist, Airdry, and repeat next week :drunk: any hair secret/advice you got ? Be consistent (once you find a good regimen). New products and techniques are cool, but introduce them to your regimen one at a time. Compare your journey to no one!!! Really, it will drive you crazy:drunk:, especially if you have fine hair. However, lean on your fellow fine haired friends for encouragement, support, and product/technique recommendations when you need it!! picture for those wanting to share a starting pic:

Attachments

• image-1189282940.jpg
    image-1189282940.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

coolsista-paris

Fine haired lady here!!! hair type: Mostly 4b with some 4a in the back length: CBL Goal: Mid-Back natural/relaxed/texlaxed : Natural porosity (if you know): Normal Reggie: M&S daily, Double Pineapple and baggie puffs nightly, Wash weekly which includes: Pre-poo w/oil & conditioner and steam. Wash hair in twist with shampoo diluted with AVJ, Reconstructor, Deep Condition, Apply Leave-ins, Twist, Airdry, and repeat next week :drunk: any hair secret/advice you got ? Be consistent (once you find a good regimen). New products and techniques are cool, but introduce them to your regimen one at a time. Compare your journey to no one!!! Really, it will drive you crazy:drunk:, especially if you have fine hair. However, lean on your fellow fine haired friends for encouragement, support, and product/technique recommendations when you need it!! picture for those wanting to share a starting pic: Will post when I get home.

im always comparing lol like "what i started my journey before and im only at apl whil she is aleady mbl?! whats wrong with me/ my hair?!"

we shouldnt compare . its hard not too :-/ lol

Welcome in!!

almond eyes

hey there you go! you've got your hair history here.

you are sure gonna enjoy your new journey! i might go natural again in a few years. if i feel like it, i will do it.

now im relaxed but i know my hair well, i will baby this hair and reach my goals

Good luck and do not fall into the same issues I did with over processing. The beauty with black women is that we can cut it off when we don't like it or it gets damaged and still be able to find nice hairstyles.

Best,
Almond Eyes

cravoecanela

Thank you so much for making this thread. My fine hair is a constant struggle.
hair type: 3c/4a
length: BSL or MBL
Goal: waist
natural/relaxed/texlaxed : natural
porosity (if you know): normal
Reggie: super simple cuz I'm lazy and very new to hair care. I wash every saturday with either wathered down acv or watered down tresemmé deep cleanse shampoo, depending on how dirty my hair feels. I condition with shea moisture deep treatment most of the time. I don't deep condition at school, only at home. I use Aubrey Organics GPB for that or sometimes I just use coconut oil and conditioner mixed together. Then I put my hair in jumbo twists and where them in a bun. I haven't used heat in 3ish years.
any hair secret/advice you got ? Nothing that you probably don't already know. I wish I started finger combing earlier. The difference in how much hair comes out when I use my fingers and when I use a comb is astounding. I've realized how much hair I was needlessly ripping out with my comb. I only use a comb like every three months.

charmtreese

Thank you so much for making this thread. My fine hair is a constant struggle. hair type: 3c/4a length: BSL or MBL Goal: waist natural/relaxed/texlaxed : natural porosity (if you know): normal Reggie: super simple cuz I'm lazy and very new to hair care. I wash every saturday with either wathered down acv or watered down tresemmé deep cleanse shampoo, depending on how dirty my hair feels. I condition with shea moisture deep treatment most of the time. I don't deep condition at school, only at home. I use Aubrey Organics GPB for that or sometimes I just use coconut oil and conditioner mixed together. Then I put my hair in jumbo twists and where them in a bun. I haven't used heat in 3ish years. any hair secret/advice you got ? Nothing that you probably don't already know. I wish I started finger combing earlier. The difference in how much hair comes out when I use my fingers and when I use a comb is astounding. I've realized how much hair I was needlessly ripping out with my comb. I only use a comb like every three months.

I wish I would have started finger detangling earlier as well. I'm always amazed at how little hair I loose finger detangling compared to using a comb.

coolsista-paris

. Good luck and do not fall into the same issues I did with over processing. The beauty with black women is that we can cut it off when we don't like it or it gets damaged and still be able to find nice hairstyles. Best, Almond Eyes

i used to overprocess all the time! i dont know what to use on my relaxed hair yet to protect from overprocessing . some use oil, or conditionner or vaseline.
ive still got 6 weeks to research.

coolsista-paris

I wish I would have started finger detangling earlier as well. I'm always amazed at how little hair I loose finger detangling compared to using a comb.

i think im gonna go back to more finger detangling especially now at 12 weeks post with new growth. the comb stays blocked and seems to rip my hair more

loulou82

HoneyBadger

I incorporate LCO, LCB, or LCOB on my ends.

Liquid- Komaza Califia Moisturizing Spray (or regular distilled water with a tiny bit of conditioner)- just enough to get my hair damp. Products go on better and absorb well on my slightly damp hair.

Cream- Purabody Naturals Murumuru Moisture Milk

Butter- Purabody Naturals Cupuacu Butter or my homemade hemp, sweet almond butter, avocado butter and oil mix.

Oil- Mix of jojoba, avocado and grapeseed.

loulou82

Oh I'm loving finger detangling for my hair. :love:

It forces me to be patient and work through any tangles and snags. Plus I get to feel any problem areas instead of raking though them. It adds time to my regimen but it's well worth it.

Babygrowth

I guess I'm an oddball because I have to do at least two combs (my rake and a medium tooth) to ensure I get all shed hairs otherwise tangle city. The one time I tried finger detangling resulted in breakage and knots.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I guess I'm an oddball because I have to do at least two combs (my rake and a medium tooth) to ensure I get all shed hairs otherwise tangle city. The one time I tried finger detangling resulted in breakage and knots.

We are both oddballs. I really don't have the time nor energy to spend an hour or more just on that. I use the 2 comb method once after washing, with a quick finger detangle first, and maybe again midweek.