~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Lita

Congrats to the Newly Natural & Welcome to the Natural side
Re: Moisture is your very best friend

Taina

I'm not that new, i`m 8 months post BC but just wanted to say good luck to all of you ladies! you can do it =)

cch24

about to try a braidout. i'll take pics. definitely going to have to dc overnight to give my hair a treat with all the stuff i've done to it today.

cch24

I'm attaching my picture. Had to blur my face, it was gross. I like my hair! It's cute and fluffy! I think it will be a lot cuter when it's longer, but you have to work with what you've got.

:)

ETA: One hour is NOT long enough for my hair to dry. But I had to go so...

Last edited:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Ok guys I'm just getting ready to go out so I fixed it up a little. I picked out the roots gently

Then puffed it up. Just wanted to show the final product

Last edited:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I'm attaching my picture. Had to blur my face, it was gross. I like my hair! It's cute and fluffy! I think it will be a lot cuter when it's longer, but you have to work with what you've got.

It looks super cute!

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i went out today ang got so many compliments on my janky twists from family. it shocked me. i'm glad someone likes them. i am ready for them to be longer though. ♥

Iluvsmuhgrass

Can't believe I missed this thread! So many beautiful heads of hair! :grin:

- When you BCd: 02/09/10
- How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd: 24 weeks
- Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.): My hair is fine, seemingly thick, pen coil sized coils to cotton to coarse size 4 waves, 50-75%+ shrinkage, that grows up and out
- Your current regimen: I'm keeping it pretty simple right now. Co-wash 1-3x a week (depends on if my hair is dry and if I'm being lazy), I DC once every two weeks or so, and I air dry. I clarify 1-2 every two weeks depending on buildup. (NOTE: My scalp itched so bad... I wondered what was going on because it wasn't the usual growth itch. I clarified and realized that I had alot of conditioner buildup on my scalp. My hair didn't feel heavy and my scalp wasn't coated. Just thought I'd share for the co-washers.) I use oils, da juice, and/or braid spray. It just depends on what I feel it needs. I'll use a henna gloss once in a blue moon.
- Your favorite styles: regular picked out afro with a pretty scarf or headband
- Your current length and goal length: not sure where I am everywhere because I haven't straightened but bridge of nose in the front, ear to neck on the sides, and neck length in the back.
- Your photo album, if any: In my profile.
- Personal goal: I want a healthy voluptuous (velumpshussahhh) :lachen: BAA.

ingenious_mind

Hello ladies,
I meant to join this thread earlier but I have been so busy and it slipped my mind

• When you BCd- March 5, 2010, here is the post if you haven't seen:
    http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=456550&highlight=
  • How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd- 13 months
  • Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - My hair is a mixture of 4a and 3c. I have very loose curls in the front that form the letter S. The middle sides and back have various curl sizes, but mostly tight coils that are similar in diameter to a pen??? (I'm very bad at hair typing, you guys may be able to help determine better than I can)
  • Your current regimen Cowash everyday with either Nourish Spa, Saave Coconut, or V05 Moisture milk. I then seal with castor oil. I try to DC at least once a week with heat and I shampoo once a month.
  • Your favorite styles- As of right now I am only wearing wash n go's. As my hair grows, I will try twist-outs and braid-outs. When I did them a couple of weeks ago I didn't like the result...I need some new styles though!
  • Your current length and goal length- My hair grows out in layers. I guess it is still in the TWA phase ....APL is my goal length!
  • Your photo album, if any- not yet...me n pictures have a love and hate relationship. I plan on taking some soon.

Do you ladies Henna at all? I want to try it but I've heard that it loosens the curl pattern so I'm not 100% positive I want to do that.

Sianna

Hello all!! I've seen and heard of this forum before but was reluctant to join. I don't have long hair! Never have! I do however hope to get close some day. :yep:

• When you BCd
    I BC'd on 1-25-10, five days before my birthday!

• How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd
    I didn't really transition at all, and was somewhere around two months post relaxer.

• Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness
    My curl pattern is mostly consistent with that of a 4a, though I do have some areas where the hair is more of a wave than a coil. Density is very thick and my strands range from super fine to thick, but most seem to be of medium thickness. My coils are pretty small, ranging from that of an average drinking straw to pen spring sized. At the moment, shrinkage is around 50-60% but I think this number will increase as my hair grows. Oh, and it grows out and up. Don't know if it will eventually grow down as well.

• Your current regimen
    Co-wash daily to every other day and moisturize with either straight conditioner, sealing with oil. Or curl activator gel.

• Your favorite styles
    None at the moment.

• Your current length and goal length
    Currently about 2 1/2 inches. I am hoping to get to APL within the next year and a half. As far as long term, I don't think I'd want to go past BSL. I think it'd but me. :spinning:
  • Your photo album, if any
    Not finished setting it up yet, though I did post some pictures here on this site. :grin:

This is what my hair looked like around 3 weeks after I BC'd, when my curl pattern really started to show.

Last edited:

sydaree

BC date: 4/16/10. Last perm was in March 2010.

Hair type: 4b, but I think it is 4a at the crown. My hair is thick, dense, dry and kinky. My hair is super short and all I can wear is a twa.

I'm still working out a regimen. I pre-poo 1x-2x a week, co-wash 2-3x per week. I just got my hair steamer in last night, so I will dc in the next couple of days.

Current products: Organx shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioner. Shea butter and aloe vera daily, sealed with olive oil and one 1000 mg vitamin E capsule. I purchased Hair Rules kinky curling cream and hydrating finishing cream. So far, I do not like these products because I do not believe they have softened or hydrated my hair.

Goal length: waist length

Check out this link to use the LOIS hair typing system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=droZReaX5bY

Last edited:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I passed the parent test! They said it looked gorgeous and told me I can use my "expertise" to grow out my mom's hair
I don't know where to begin with her hair. When I was at home she gave me a hard time for DCing once or twice a week and using coconut oil and for not overlapping her relaxer (she wanted to go root to tip)
Hopefully now she'll listen to me about healthier hair practices

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Re: Curl pattern appearance??

Hello all!! I've seen and heard of this forum before but was reluctant to join. I don't have long hair! Never have! I do however hope to get close some day. :yep:

This is what my hair looked like around 3 weeks after I BC'd, when my curl pattern really started to show.

Wecome to you and all the other new naturals who have subscribed. One thing I have learned about this site is that it is about so much more than just having long hair. The name is decieving IMO, because Health is much more important than Length. So I'm glad you joined.

Your hair looks great! This is what I was wondering about though. How long did it or does it take for one's true curl pattern to show? Is 3 weeks roughly the amount of time? I'm thininking it may also depend on the curl pattern though.

cch24

Wecome to you and all the other new naturals who have subscribed. One thing I have learned about this site is that it is about so much more than just having long hair. The name is decieving IMO, because Health is much more important than Length. So I'm glad you joined.

Your hair looks great! This is what I was wondering about though. How long did it or does it take for one's true curl pattern to show? Is 3 weeks roughly the amount of time? I'm thininking it may also depend on the curl pattern though.

Hi Steph! I love your puff, it's soo cute! I think it took like 2 good weeks of daily cowashing and deep conditioning once a week for my curl pattern to show. I started off with tighter 4a coils and now my hair looks to be 3c in most areas and just has a wave pattern in others.

Sianna

Thanks so much! As far as your question, I'm really not sure. When I first BC'd, I didn't have any distinctive curl pattern. The day I took this picture is the first time I remember seeing a definite curl pattern in my hair, and as mentioned before, it was about 3 weeks after I BC'd. Though I've heard from other naturals that it can take up to five months for the true curl pattern to appear!

MCMLXXXIV

•When you BCd- March 16, 2010,
•How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd- 21 months post
•Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) – My hair is mostly 4a. Coils that are similar a number 2 pencil and shaped like an S. I have a horrible patch in the front on the left side that is wavy and refuses to curl like the rest. Honestly, I kinda hope its some kind of damage that will grow out, lol.
•Your current regimen - Well, I’m usually bunning. When I’m bunning I co wash every 2-3 days. Each night I take down to moisturize, seal and give my hair a little break. Other than that, my regimen sucks. I’m always trying new styles on the weekends…I try not to manipulate too much during the week but sometimes I cant help it. The only consistent thing in my regimen is coconut oil, olive oil, and wheat germ oil.
•Your favorite styles- While transitioning I hate twist outs, they never turned out right. I fell in love with braid outs but after my transition that faded away. I lose more hair when I need to rebraid a braid out but with twist outs, so far I can get 2 day hair and lose little to no hair loss.
•Your current length and goal length- My hair grows out in layers and now its longer in the back. A little past my shoulders. The front is neck length.
•Your photo album, if any- :( No photo album, but I’ll post pics sometime soon.

andromeda

Welcome!

Thanks ladies!
Congrats to the Newly Natural & Welcome to the Natural side
Re: Moisture is your very best friend

I'm not that new, i`m 8 months post BC but just wanted to say good luck to all of you ladies! you can do it =)

:welcome:Welcome ingenious_mind, sydaree, slaxelan and sianna!

Do you ladies Henna at all? I want to try it but I've heard that it loosens the curl pattern so I'm not 100% positive I want to do that.

I henna monthly. This weekend, I'm scheduled to do my first henna since BCing. I have some pics of my henna process in my fotki. I only experience temporary loosening (although I'm trying to figure out if the dramatic loosening at my temples and nape is due to henna, heat, tension or some combination of those items) but depending on your hair and how often you use it, the loosening effects can be more pronounced and long-lasting.

Why are you interested in using henna - strength, thickening, color, etc?
BC date: 4/16/10. Last perm was in March 2010.

I just got my hair steamer in last night, so I will dc in the next couple of days.
This reminds me - I must start doing "improvised" steam treatments again. I haven't done so in almost a year. :blush: Maybe I'll treat myself to a steamer one day. Let us know how your likes the steamer - you're starting off your newly natural journey right! :yep:
Check out this link to use the LOIS hair typing system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=droZReaX5bY
Thanks for the link. I read about this system when I first started my hhj but I have yet to revisit it. I'll check it out later.
The only consistent thing in my regimen is coconut oil, olive oil, and wheat germ oil.
:( No photo album, but I’ll post pics sometime soon.[/COLOR]
Those are great products to have as constants in your regimen. Look forward to seeing your pics! :grin:

Originally Posted by Sianna
Hello all!! I've seen and heard of this forum before but was reluctant to join. I don't have long hair! Never have! I do however hope to get close some day.
When I first stumbled on the site, I was reluctant too. I thought it was only for women who already had long hair. I rediscovered the site a month later and was pleased to realize that it was just as much about healthy hair as long hair and that everyone was welcome and supported, no matter their current length.

Glad you've joined us and I'm absolutely elated that your first post was in this thread. Your hair is beautiful! :)

andromeda

I passed the parent test! They said it looked gorgeous
:woot:
and told me I can use my "expertise" to grow out my mom's hair
I don't know where to begin with her hair. When I was at home she gave me a hard time for DCing once or twice a week and using coconut oil and for not overlapping her relaxer (she wanted to go root to tip)
Hopefully now she'll listen to me about healthier hair practices
I've been tapped as hair consultant for a relative too. :spinning: I'm trying to convince them that moisture is key and it doesn't just magically "happen".

i went out today ang got so many compliments on my janky twists from family. it shocked me. i'm glad someone likes them. i am ready for them to be longer though. ♥
I peeped your twists in your fotki. Why are they janky? They look so nice and juicy and I love how they spiral at the ends. I see you mentioned the twists in the back didn't come out as nicely as the ones in the front. :scratchch

Ok guys I'm just getting ready to go out so I fixed it up a little. I picked out the roots gently
:cool:Beautiful!

It turned out nicely! :yep:

ingenious_mind

Re: Welcome!

I henna monthly. This weekend, I'm scheduled to do my first henna since BCing. I have some pics of my henna process in my fotki. I only experience temporary loosening (although I'm trying to figure out if the dramatic loosening at my temples and nape is due to henna, heat, tension or some combination of those items) but depending on your hair and how often you use it, the loosening effects can be more pronounced and long-lasting.

Why are you interested in using henna - strength, thickening, color, etc?

I don't really care much for the coloring, I would like to benefit for the strength and thickening.

horizontalstripes

• BC: 4/4/10 @ 15 months post my last thermal reconditioning treatment
  • I'm not sure of my hair type really, I have fine neck length (unstretched) hair that grows down and doesn't hold styles well
  • I co-wash 2-3 times a wk with giovanni smooth as silk cond., and deep condition w/ aubrey organics honeysuckle rose cond. 1-2x a wk. I use kinky curly knot today and coconut oil after rinsing. Since the bc I've mostly done wash and gos & occasionally banded twistouts. During my transition I did flat twist and curls using small perm rollers.
  • I just subscribed so right now I only have 2 pics up in my profile album

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
I peeped your twists in your fotki. Why are they janky? They look so nice and juicy and I love how they spiral at the ends. I see you mentioned the twists in the back didn't come out as nicely as the ones in the front. :scratchch

for some reason, i am twisting different in the back than i am in the front. i hate it cuz it makes the back ones really tight and short like comb coils, which i don't like on me. i'll figure it out eventually. ♥

andromeda

Bantu Knotted Twist Out Results

I had a meeting yesterday so I finally undid the bantu knots. Here are some pics:

Thank goodness for hairpins! I really like the ecostyler krystal gel - my hair had nice sheen and definition and didn't feel dried out.

Last edited:

chebaby

i am about to cry. to warm you all do not, i repeat do not use carols daughter rosemary mint shampoo. my hair is so dry there is not any moisture or oil in site. that shampoo did not just simply dry my hair out. in the shower my hair was matted together like i had dreads. urgggg i am so pised, my hair has never felt like this.
i slathered on a whole tube of aveda dry rememdy mask and kbb deep conditioner, detangled and let it sit, rinsed with cool water, used a very moisturizing leave in and sealed with sunshine(shea butter, evoo and vitamin e oil) and do you know my hair is still a dry matted mess. i just dont know what to do.
i have color treated hair and this dryness is making me nervous because of my color.

i will have to sleep in conditioner and oil tonight but i really dont want to because outside of this situation my hair usually holds on to moisture and too much will make my hair mushy. my hair is very fine and i have to do protein treatments a lot because of the fact my hair holds on to moisture but ill have to do it anyway.

and i know most people dont like carols daughter but i like her products. but this has left a bad taste in my mouth. im thinking about not using her stuff at all because with what that shampoo did to my hair you can not pay me to believe that lisa price uses her own shampoos.

pookaloo83

i am about to cry. to warm you all do not, i repeat do not use carols daughter rosemary mint shampoo. my hair is so dry there is not any moisture or oil in site. that shampoo did not just simply dry my hair out. in the shower my hair was matted together like i had dreads. urgggg i am so pised, my hair has never felt like this.
i slathered on a whole tube of aveda dry rememdy mask and kbb deep conditioner, detangled and let it sit, rinsed with cool water, used a very moisturizing leave in and sealed with sunshine(shea butter, evoo and vitamin e oil) and do you know my hair is still a dry matted mess. i just dont know what to do.
i have color treated hair and this dryness is making me nervous because of my color.

i will have to sleep in conditioner and oil tonight but i really dont want to because outside of this situation my hair usually holds on to moisture and too much will make my hair mushy. my hair is very fine and i have to do protein treatments a lot because of the fact my hair holds on to moisture but ill have to do it anyway.

and i know most people dont like carols daughter but i like her products. but this has left a bad taste in my mouth. im thinking about not using her stuff at all because with what that shampoo did to my hair you can not pay me to believe that lisa price uses her own shampoos.

You should have sat under the dryer with the conditioner. That has helped me when I used Burt Bee's shampoo. My hair was a dry matted mess. But after sitting under the dryer for like an hour it felt so much better.

andromeda

Sorry to hear that. I agree with Pook - it would probably help to find a way to help the DC penetrate into the shaft. Leaving it on for an extended period will only do so much because hair can only absorb so much. Maybe you can sit under the dryer as suggested or even do a homespun steam treatment - apply dc to your hair, cover it with a plastic cap/bag, wrap with a steaming towel, cover with another plastic cap/bag. Or maybe a hot oil treatment for 20-40 min.