The JaneBond007 Better Garlic Shampoo & Conditioner Recipe

JaneBond007

Well, there is a better way to enjoy the benefits of homemade garlic shampoo and conditioner and not smell like a pizzeria afterwards and have difficulty removing tiny bits of garlic. The secret is infused oil of garlic which you will add to shampoo and conditioner. The benefits of this method are to preserve all the effectiveness of the garlic and reduce residual odor in the hair. I would never recommend microwaving garlic in oil as this fries it and destroys some of the compounds in the herb.

You will need:

• peeled, fresh garlic cloves (for 1 cup oil, use
  • an infusion oil (almond, olive, sesame, sunflower, rice bran oil or other that can withstand high temps. Coconut hardens when cold - not recommended)
  • conditioning shampoo (mine is sulphate-free, citrus-based)
  • conditioner (citrus based is best)
  • bain Marie of a Pyrex glass pan/baking dish large enough for the water to be at halfway
  • *ramekins, small Pyrex bowls, or recycled glass jars (no plastic or silicon)
  • very hot to boiling water
  • dark glass dropper bottle for storage
  • towel

How to prepare:

Place your towel down, then the Pyrex baking dish that is large enough to fit your small bowls, ramekins or smaller glass jars.

Chop, slice or crush your garlic. You don't need to make a paste as you will strain it for clear oil infusion. Place 1/2 full of garlic and fill with your oil to 3/4's full. Do not use reconstituted garlic from dried cloves. Only use fresh garlic bulbs. Do not use Indian garlic paste in the jar either as they have preservatives.

Carefully pour your very hot water (if boiling, allow to settle) into the Pyrex, making sure the garlic infusion is free from any water, up around 1/2 the sides of the *ramekins. At this point, you should not move the unit to prevent spills. Do not cover to prevent condensation. Allow to settle.

Your garlic is infusing so allow it to set for 30 min. to an hour. Repeat the last step to get a stronger oil. Remember to remove the garlic jars first, discard the cooled water, replace ramekins and carefully pour very hot water into the Pyrex baking dish to halfway up the sides. Allow to cool again. One could allow the garlic to settle in the oil for days to infuse longer, but be careful of condensation. It should be done only after it is totally cool and placed into another dry glass container. You must at least warm the oil per the instructions above before infusing it over days.

After garlic oil is to desired strength and cooled, remove ramekins, making sure to never get water into them. Strain this mixture into a glass container for storage. Keep in a dark, dry environment.

Your last step is preparing your conditioner or shampoo. I like citrusy or highly perfumed shampoos to mask the odor. Citrus works best, though. For a 16 oz. bottle of shampoo, I use 4 droppersful per bottle. For a conditioner, I double the amount of garlic oil. Shake or stir well and start to use. It should keep indefinitely.

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
Thanks for sharing OP. I've never tried any type of garlic products but people here rave about it benefits. I will have to give ur recipe a try.