The Effects of Going Natural- My Proud Momma Moment

naturalmanenyc

Lovely story!!! A good friend has stopped getting blowouts since having her second child, a daughter, saying that she wanted to make sure her daughter could see that it is "okay" for Black women to wear their naturally curly hair.

I do not think my transition led to her final decision, but it was a great moment for me when she called to tell me about it.

bride91501

How has your natural journey affected the people in your life?

DD is still a toddler but as I was moisturizing and re-twisting some Ceily twists I had in, she runs her hands along them and says, "I like your hair Mommy." I always tell her that her hair is beautiful and am feeling like since she is appreciating our natural hair that she may have more confidence in not conforming to wanting the stick straight hair that so many of her little friends have (most/all of her friends have natural type 1 or 2 hair). She also finds their hair nice, but I love that she likes her own too.

This is exactly the case with my 4 year old. She is the only type 4 in her pre-school class- 1 little girl is bi-racial and is a 3a, and all the rest are type 1s & 2s. I used to worry about how this would affect her self-esteem, but between our frequent hair pow-wows, Willow Smith "whipping her hair", and Sesame Street "I love my hair", her 4 year old "hair swag" is ridiculous :lachen:

Drtondalia

My DD Amajalay (7) loves her natural hair. She has only known me to have natural hair. She used to go to a shop to get her hair washed, conditioned and braided with my sister. I do her hair now cause they were pulling her edges too tight.

One day she came home freshly braided and explained to me what a relaxer was and how some other little girl got one and was crying because it hurt. She said "Mommy I asked her why she was getting relaxed if it hurt and she said because her mommy made her. Please don't ever make me get one Mommy. Promise?"

I dont think she will ever want one. She has been scared at a young age. My sister said she was about to cry with the little girl. :nono:

First and third pic she is 5. Second pic she is 4. Fourth pic she is 7 and fifth pic she has a braided bun for a princess gala when she was 6

Attachments

• 6new.jpg
    6new.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 21
  • kids0.JPG
    kids0.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 8new.jpg
    8new.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 19
  • family1.jpg
    family1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 20
  • princessA.jpg
    princessA.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
That was a great story!!! You raised a good girl.

How has your natural journey affected the people in your life?

I hope if nothing else, I have shown that natural hair is beautiful. Natural hair is not ugly, dirty, nasty, dingy, or for "poor people," you know, you go natural because you can't afford a perm.

I hope they see the beauty of our hair in its unaltered state and if nothing else, they know that we are beautiful naturally. :)

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
She said "Mommy I asked her why she was getting relaxed if it hurt and she said because her mommy made her. Please don't ever make me get one Mommy. Promise?"

I dont think she will ever want one. She has been scared at a young age. My sister said she was about to cry with the little girl. :nono:

She is so cute! Hopefully she will continue to love her natural hair and never feel like she "needs" a perm to be beautiful, especially since she learned from her friend early on that perms can burn and hurt. So sad for the other little girl though. Hopefully by seeing your daughter wear her hair natural, maybe that will plant a seed in her mind now that if she so chooses to when she is older, that she too can wear her hair natural. :)