The Dumbest D!#n Hair Advice You've Ever Heard (given or received)

Cbgo

My sister while in cosmetology school said they taught her that the way to moisturize hair was to put grease on all of it then hot comb/flat iron it. The heat is supposed to seal the grease in the hair and therefore it gets moisturize:rolleyes: It's a good think she dropped out.

I hope that school is not still in business. :nono:

kblc06

1...dandruff from another person's scalp (ewww) will make your hair grow
2...@&%!? from a guy will make your hair curly
3...only cut your hair when the moon is full, burn it so that birds won't use it in their nests and give you a headache.:dead:

WTF (no pun intended)....how would did he/she go about proving this? This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard:lachen:....or maybe the protein restructures the hair's keratin bonds:look:

Ivonnovi

:yep: I hadn't heard that one in years. Damn,there should be a whole lot of headaches,the way weaves and such are used these days.

3...only cut your hair when the moon is full, burn it so that birds won't use it in their nests and give you a headache.:dead:

nklogan

The dumbest advice i've received is "You can wash a relaxer out".I was so pissed when someone told me that.I said,"how the heck can I wash a relaxer out my hair after it's been relaxed and still straight?"

cottoncoily

I hope that school is not still in business. :nono:

They are :sad: The school is through a community college (you can take cosmetology as a major) but it specifies on white hair care even though some blacks do work there. With that said I don't know if a white woman or black woman taught her that. Either way they should have known better.

kblc06

They are :sad: The school is through a community college (you can take cosmetology as a major) but it specifies on white hair care even though some blacks do work there. With that said I don't know if a white woman or black woman taught her that. Either way they should have known better.

that's sad:sad:

basketballbabe03

I had a friend tell me that if you put water and grease on your hair and then press it, your hair will come out very straight. That doesn't even sound right. No wonder her hair always smelled burnt.

lovinglength

For me,the dumbest thing I was told about hair growth was that relaxed hair grows faster than natural hair, and natural hair can't grow past 12 inches...and this was from a "professional" stylist. I never went back to her.

sevetlana

Wouldn't You like need ALOT for your whole head ( think of a bottle of conditioner). Where would you get it from??:lachen::lachen::lachen:Would u store it up...:rolleyes: This is too funny and gross:lachen::lachen::lachen:

lovinglength

Wouldn't You like need ALOT for your whole head ( think of a bottle of conditioner). Where would you get it from??:lachen::lachen::lachen:Would u store it up...:rolleyes: This is too funny and gross:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Get it from those places where they give men cookies for donating their...um...lil swimmers. I'm sure they have that "great hair conditioner" by the gallons.

BostonMaria

GOOD LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If #2 was true I'm sure most of them hookers I see downtown would have some curly ass hair down to their ankles :lachen:
#1 was just straight up GROSS
#3 might be on to something.. *writes it down* :grin:

*Muffin*

The question I want to ask is how come it never sinks in that what they are doing to their hair is bad? I realized it as soon as I noticed all the broken pieces of my hair decorating my shirts. They constantly want you to tell them what you do to your hair for it to look so nice or for it to get so long, but then when you tell them they want to say "Oh that's not good for my hair. My hair likes [insert unspeakable horror]" :shocked: I don't even know what to say anymore when people ask me that question. I once had this girl ask me what I did with my hair because she noticed it had grown, and when I told her she proceeded to tell me "Oh no honey. What do you think you're doing to your hair with all that conditioner. You're not white. You need to slap some Luster's pink oil on that mess":perplexed.

Last edited:

Neith

The question I want to ask is how come it never sinks in that what they are doing to their hair is bad? They constantly want to ask you what you do to your hair for it to look so nice or for it to get so long, but then when you tell them they want to say "Oh that's not good for my hair. My hair likes [insert unspeakable horror]" :shocked: I don't even know what to say anymore when people ask me that question. I once had this girl ask me what I did with my hair because she noticed it had grown, and when I told her she proceeded to tell me "Oh no honey. What do you think you're doing to your hair with all that conditioner. You're not white. You need to slap some Luster's pink oil on that mess":perplexed.

It's a defense mechanism :yep:

They know that their hair is not in good condition, but they are too lazy to actually explore all the many different avenues of hair care.

Ah well... maybe one day they'll snap out of it!

Neith

I think you're supposed to take it like a supplement to get the curly hair effect. :lol::look::blush:

quasimodi

Well, that would have to be that weave glue grows your hair.

Mind you, this was told to me by a twelve-year-old (TWA with extremely thin edges and damaged hairline). The poor child's mother gave her a quick weave, which went terribly wrong and the girl's head was shaved. Another quick weave was applies and there went her hairline.

And yet, after all this her mother still tells her that the quick weave glue will make her hair grow. :perplexed

I don't understand it.

Divine_Order

"You need to stop spending so much time on that forum!"

My mom when I first found out about this site...glad I aint listen!:lachen:

NYAmicas

Seeker
The question I want to ask is how come it never sinks in that what they are doing to their hair is bad? I realized it as soon as I noticed all the broken pieces of my hair decorating my shirts. They constantly want you to tell them what you do to your hair for it to look so nice or for it to get so long, but then when you tell them they want to say "Oh that's not good for my hair. My hair likes [insert unspeakable horror]" :shocked: I don't even know what to say anymore when people ask me that question. I once had this girl ask me what I did with my hair because she noticed it had grown, and when I told her she proceeded to tell me "Oh no honey. What do you think you're doing to your hair with all that conditioner. You're not white. You need to slap some Luster's pink oil on that mess":perplexed.

That's a great question.:yep: I've had friends and family insist what I was doing (co-washing, not using grease, not putting relaxer on my hair strands when I did a touch-up) was wrong yet their hair never grew. The ones with the most unhealthy short locks always had something to say.:nono: I don't understand it myself but they fall back on the, "you must have Indian in your blood" routine when you try to reason with them.:rolleyes:

These posts are HILARIOUS!!

I must admit, I have given and agreed with ridiculous hair advice/statements.

That's a great question.:yep: I've had friends and family insist what I was doing (co-washing, not using grease, not putting relaxer on my hair strands when I did a touch-up) was wrong yet their hair never grew. The ones with the most unhealthy short locks always had something to say.:nono: I don't understand it myself but they fall back on the, "you must have Indian in your blood" routine when you try to reason with them.:rolleyes:

I'm guilty of using that routine! :nono: Oh the shame!! lol
When girls had long, healthy hair I thought they must have had some gene that protected them from suffering the damage of relaxers! Something must have made it easier for them to retain length. Now I know better!

Plus, my mother and I used to think that tight cornrows would encourage the hair to grow. Not because braids were protective, but because the pulling of the hair follicle would force the hair to grow faster. :perplexed

basketballbabe03

These posts are HILARIOUS!!

I must admit, I have given and agreed with ridiculous hair advice/statements.

I'm guilty of using that routine! :nono: Oh the shame!! lol
When girls had long, healthy hair I thought they must have had some gene that protected them from suffering the damage of relaxers! Something must have made it easier for them to retain length. Now I know better!

Plus, my mother and I used to think that tight cornrows would encourage the hair to grow. Not because braids were protective, but because the pulling of the hair follicle would force the hair to grow faster. :perplexed

My mom used to tell me the same thing! I always looked at her like this: :ohwell:

marla

When I was pregnant with my twins I lived in Germany and for some reason my scalp began to get really dry and my dandruff was something awful well a lady I worked with told me not to worry about it too much cause that was a sign that I had fast growing hair and the dandruff was a sign that it was growing. That was the dumbest piece of ish I had ever heard.
I remeber when I was young. I had long thick hair. We were at the hospital visiting, and some woman came up to my mother talking about " ooooh, she must got that growing danduss " She couldn't even pronounce dandruff! After she left my mother fell out laughing!

me-T

I remeber when I was young. I had long thick hair. We were at the hospital visiting, and some woman came up to my mother talking about " ooooh, she must got that growing danduss " She couldn't even pronounce dandruff! After she left my mother fell out laughing!
:lachen::nono::lachen:

*Muffin*

:lachen: OMG, ain't it the truth though? It's like a script they pull out to discredit any good advice you try to give them. For a long time my hair wouldn't grow past shoulder length, so great grandpappy Squanto had nothing to do with my hair's growth and progress :grin:

BonBon

Vaseline, more Vaseline and when that tub is finished a fresh pot of Vaseline will grow the hair long and strong.

Thats it. Sofia whats your regimen? Oh its Vaseline.