The Denman Brush ?

JC-Junkie

Hello Ladies !! So this morning I tried to use the Denman brush to define my curls, my hair was previously detangled during my DC so I thought it would be easier, but the brush didn't move whilst in my hair at all. Like I couldn't comb my hair at all and no curls were defined, no curl popping :sad: So I tried to put my hair in a bun and use the Denman brush to slick my hair back and again it just didn't work at all ! I'm trying to wear buns throughout the winter but my buns aren't nice. I wash my hair and detangle it then when I'm trying to slick my hair back, the hair is not in uniform with each other to form that smoothness, so some hairs are poking through or frizzy or have completely shrunken and sticking out. I end up slapping gel all over my hair to stick the hairs down and I hate that because it's really flakey and hard to wash out, so I thought using the Denman brush would help smooth my hair so I would only need to use gel on my edges and it did not. I was wondering if you ladies can offer some advice to me on curl popping with the Denman and slick my hair back to make a neat bun :)

TIA Ladies and HHG Too !!!

Last edited:

janda

I don't use a Denman but I'm curious as to what, if anything, you have in your hair when using the brush. If I am bunning, after my shampoo or cowash, I slather on conditioner and detangle. I do not rinse out the conditioner but use it as a leave in (along with other products) and it helps smooth my hair for the bun. I wouldn't use the Denman on dry hair or "uncoated" wet hair.

dyamonds10

I have 2 Denman brushes...I can't use them with my hair dry but I will use them with my hair completely wet or with conditioners and oils.

JC-Junkie

My hair was wet with water and then I applied a lot of Aussie Moist conditioner too :yep: And my hair was detangled already and I left the Aussie Moist conditioner in as a leave in.
And I used the D3 Denman

Last edited:

AHeadOfCoils

Isn't the D3 the one with 7 rows? Are you using all 7 rows? You might need to take some of the rows off and make sure your hair is soaking wet with a super slip conditioner. HTH

Dak

After brushing it through (starting at your ends first) try using a silk scarf to train the rest of it down, that should make your waves pop more. If it doesn't, use more water and/or a curl activator. Good luck!

ajargon02

My hair was wet with water and then I applied a lot of Aussie Moist conditioner too :yep: And my hair was detangled already and I left the Aussie Moist conditioner in as a leave in.
And I used the D3 Denman

Isn't the D3 the one with 7 rows? Are you using all 7 rows? You might need to take some of the rows off

Yup, I have only "shingled" with the denman once. For me, my hair does much better with just using my hands and pre-detangled hair. I have modified my denman, and removed 3 rows. I just took out every other row. I love my D3 now! You might wanna try that. I have 4a/b hair ( I guess ) but it detangles and defines like a dream now! YouTube - Natural Hair: I Luv My Denman (Brush)Again!: Remove Some of the Rows

here's a vid on modifying the denman....hth :D

Pompous Blue

Yup, I have only "shingled" with the denman once. For me, my hair does much better with just using my hands and pre-detangled hair. I have modified my denman, and removed 3 rows. I just took out every other row. I love my D3 now! You might wanna try that. I have 4a/b hair ( I guess ) but it detangles and defines like a dream now! YouTube - Natural Hair: I Luv My Denman (Brush)Again!: Remove Some of the Rows

here's a vid on modifying the denman....hth :D
Yes, it did help. I may purchase a denman this month now that I know how this brush works on type 4 hair and how to remove the rows.

Thanks again for posting this link.

JC-Junkie

Thank you Ladies !!! My denman has 5 rows originally :yep: I haven't used my denman yet so I haven't romoved any rows yet either, but I THINK I found a way to do my buns. Well I co-washed my hair, and applied a lot of Aussie Moist to each section before detangling it. Then I put my hair into a pony in sections until all the hair is in my hand. Then I smooth it with my hands, although I'm wondering if I could use a soft boar bristle brush to do this ? But after I have smoothed my hair into my pony, I put it into a bun and then continue to smooth with my hair and tie a leg from my tights and go to sleep :yep: Do you think this technique is okay ? I don't need to use much gel sometimes none at all.

Thanks for the advice once again ladies been real great help in helping me find a technique. I'm going to check out the youtube videos. Can I just ask whether you ladies wear wash and gos when using your denmans to define your curls ?

BlaqBella

I used to feel that I couldn't use the denman..even put it away for a few months. But now I can't use my shower comb to detangle (in shower) cause nothing works like my denman brush. I use it under running water with conditioner (loaded) hair. And the brush plus steaming and my regular routine has my coils POPPIN more and more.