The Christmas Candle - New Movie

momi

From bestselling author, Max Lucado, comes THE CHRISTMAS CANDLE, a timeless holiday film for the entire family.

Deep in the heart of the English countryside lies the enchanting village of Gladbury. Legend has it every 25 years an angel visits the village candlemaker and touches a single candle. Whoever lights this candle receives a miracle on Christmas Eve. But in 1890, at the dawn of the electric age, this centuries old legend may come to an end.

When David Richmond (Hans Matheson), a progressive young minister, arrives in Gladbury, the villagers discover a new formula for miracles: good deeds and acts of kindness. While David's quest to modernize Gladbury sets him at odds with the old world candlemaker, he finds an unlikely ally in the lovely skeptic, Emily Barstow (Samantha Barks). Now, the fiery candlemaker must fight to preserve the legacy of the Christmas Candle. But when the candle goes missing, the miraculous and human collide in the most astonishing Christmas the village of Gladbury has ever seen.

http://www.thechristmascandlemovie.com

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Hmm.. this "review" is all the more reason to go see the film..they're pitching hard for folks to not go see it .==================================

Rick Santorum’s movie ‘The Christmas Candle’ flops
By Andrew Pulver, The Guardian
Monday, November 25, 2013 7:59 EST

The power of prayer has failed to save The Christmas Candle, the new release from Rick Santorum’s faith based film studio, EchoLight.

The Christmas Candle, set in the fictional English village of Gladbury and billed as “a timeless holiday film for the entire family”, attracted widespread critical scorn as well as dismal box-office results, having grossed just over $1.6m after two weeks on release.

The bad reviews were perhaps predictable, with the New York Daily News saying: “This odd Dickens-meets-Sunday-school movie is as artless as the setup is muddled”, while the New York Post judged: “This throwback, made-for-TV-style film takes the easy way out in a cheesy climax, but its resolute quaintness may appeal to the kind of viewers who regard electricity as disturbingly newfangled.” The Arizona Republic called it “resolutely stiff and hollow”.

Former presidential candidate Santorum, who took to the media shortly before the film’s release to lambast Hollywood as “the devil’s playground” will presumably find it easy to shrug off critical brickbats; less easy to swallow will be the ignominious box office results. Its opening weekend, on a small “platform” release on just 5 screens, took a respectable $68,000; but in its second week, when it expanded to over 390, it took less than $1m. The crucial screen average was an extremely moderate $2,500, putting it below the likes of The Best Man Holiday, Narco Cultura, and bodybuilding doco Generation Iron – and far beneath Catching Fire and Philomena.

The Christmas Candle, which stars Clash of the Titans’ Hans Matheson and gives singer Susan Boyle her film debut in a small role – the inn-keeper’s wife – is released in the UK on 13 December.

• News: Rick Santorum calls Hollywood ‘the devil’s playground

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media 2013

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
momi...where ya at? :lol:

I saw this movie today...finally. It's not in every theater and some theaters offered it for a limited time; so it was a challenge to find a location. The crowd was small but intimate. Susan Boyle's beautiful singing made up for her mediocre acting...but it was her debut and she did an OK job.. lol. The story itself was compelling enough for me to also go and get the book. Overall, I enjoyed this movie! It had a nice warmth to it.. some comical moments, some teary-eyed moments. Great movie for the kids, too.

momi

Hey Laela! LOL

I'm glad to hear that you had a chance to see it!

I have been much too busy for my liking these days - missing my CF friends!