The benefit of BKT is not straight hair *pics* and loooong

sheba1

At least for me, it's not. I dunno if you remember but when I first did my BKT I hadn't straightened in many moons and found that I had single strand knots all throughout the ends of my hair. It was my first set back and this was the pic before I cut nearly 2 inches off each layer.

After BKT, however, I could handle my hair in a curly state without any fear of knots. This lead to frequent cowashing, wet bunning and wash-n-gos. My hair regained the length is lost and then some in three months:

At this time I decided to do a personal HYH until March. And since I wasn't going to be straightening my hair (except for my mid point check in) decided not to BKT until then, march 2010. This turned out to be a BIG MISTAKE. As I didn't find out until now (end of December) for my end of the year straightening.

Yesterday I deep conditioned my hair in preparation for my straightening. I even logged on to make a little funny about how my hair required special attention now that my BKT has worn off. Well, mostly, because I BKT'd a patch of my leave out hair at the top just about a month ago. But other than that, all my hair is back to being it's fluffy cottony self, which means longer detangling time, special care, etc. Except for having to take a little extra time, though, I didn't see any true cause for alarm... until later :(

After rinsing my DC and towel drying I took a pic.

As you can see, shinkage back in full effect, except for the hair on top that was recently BKT'd.

The next pic is of me combing the smoothing balm I use before blow out. I was starting to get concerned, because I noticed I had more trouble distributing the product evenly with my Denman. I kept running into snags at the end of my hair. Still, I thought that once I detangled and distributed product I'd be good to go.

But I lost a lot of hair during blow dry with Denman. Still running into snags. My hair after blow out:

As I straightened I could see just how bad it was. My ends were knotted again, everywhere except where I BKT'd a month ago. The end result looked more like the first picture than the second. I can't get a better picture of it as my picture taker and I broke up, but trust me, it's bad. :nono:

Last night I was so dissappointed I just went to sleep after this pic. The length of my hair is full and healthy but the single strand knots at the ends prevented me from getting the ends straight.

This morning I woke up and did an aggressive search and destroy of all knots. I also did a dusting of 1/4 to 1/2 inch off each section to get any hairs that had gotten tangled into the knots and broken off during manipulation.

I'm soooooo sad. I don't know why I didn't just keep up with the BKT at least every 3 months, to keep the knots at bay? I dunno... I guess I thought since I hadn't seen one in so long that I'd be ok til March.

I'm seriously considering doing a BKT right this instant; since all knots are now gone from my aggressive search and destroy. :ohwell: But I'm worried that with the straightening and manipulation from flat ironing just yesterday that it will be too much for my hair. I dunno... I'm sad.

On a brighter note, I've never had a pony this full or long.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Awww, Sheba, I'm sorry for your setback. But, on the bright side, your hair does look great. It's thickened even more and it's grown - considerably. That ponytail is lookin' right.

Pray about your next move. Father will direct you on what to do to maintain what you've gained. Don't bum out about it, your hair can be saved.

{{BIG HUG}}

sheba1

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Bronze. Yeah, at least I didn't have to lose a couple inches. I'm just glad I did a mid point straightening or it could have been much worse by March.

Also on a brighter note, I think my waist has slimmed a little since the 2nd pic.. lol

I'm going to do a BKT today. Then I can return to cowashing and wet bunning.

Vintageglam

Yep Sheba - keep doing what works for you ! Sorry to hear about your setback. Your hair still looks fab and I am sure that you will overcome again like you did before.

Muse

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Bronze. Yeah, at least I didn't have to lose a couple inches. I'm just glad I did a mid point straightening or it could have been much worse by March.

Also on a brighter note, I think my waist has slimmed a little since the 2nd pic.. lol

I'm going to do a BKT today. Then I can return to cowashing and wet bunning.

Yeah I think the bolded is a good idea. BKT is working wonders for you so don't stop. I wouldn't even bother experimenting anymore now that you know. Just keep consistent with treatments (like Brittany, lol). That ponytail looks good!

cutenss

Hi :sunshine: I sorry that you didn't make the goal that you set for yourself. But I think that you hair is still fabulous, thick and lush. BKT is (y)our friend, utilize it to the fullest. And before you know it, this setback will soon be a blip on the radar. I noticed the you are in the MBL 2010 challenge. So am I. We will be an encouragement to each other, in order to get to our goals.

I will be BKT'ing this week too, for the new year. We will start fresh. And make our goal together :yep:

MarieB

Sorry about the setback :bighug:, Sheba, but you have had a lot of growth, and you know what to do to retain it. Just a bump in the road, that's all. Which BKT will you be using today?

sheba1

Thanks for the words of encouragement ladies. I'm feeling a little better now. I just ran into a coworker while gathering supplies for my BKT today and she went gah gah over my hair. She kept saying how long it's getting and how full my pony is now and it made me feel much better.

I think single strand knots must have always been a major progress ender for me, even before I knew what they were. It may explain why I never got over shoulder length even after a decade natural until I found LHCF.

me-T

you've made above and beyond progress form the last setback, so i'm sure you'll do it again! at least you know your hair WILL revert ALL THE WAY back, but it sure is a lousy way of finding out.

Tafa01

I am sorry for your mini setback!
I still think your hair looks great though. I love your ponytail. So you're not hiding your hair anymore?

sheba1

I am sorry for your mini setback!
I still think your hair looks great though. I love your ponytail. So you're not hiding your hair anymore?

Hey Sis, thanks. :bighug: Yeah, I'm back to hiding my hair on tomorrow. Just doing a BKT now so I won't have to worry about knots at my next straightening.

pet

I'm sorry about your setback Sheba....but your hair has grown! So, dispite the setback, you did make progress. Now that you know what to do...go on gurl! Your hair will thrive the way that you want it to in no time.

nissi

sheba,
i just want to encourage you, i have been considering bkt for some time, mainly because of your progress! you are one of the official bkt gurus! you are doing fab, and you are so kind-hearted and generous with information! :rosebud: keep it up, you have folks watching you and cheering you on! be encouraged! :bighug:

Tafa01

Hey Sis, thanks. :bighug: Yeah, I'm back to hiding my hair on tomorrow. Just doing a BKT now so I won't have to worry about knots at my next straightening.

Oh yeah that makes sense. Thanks for the heads up. I have been wearing half wigs for a few weeks to give my hair a break from over manipulation. I thought I would take a break from BKT too till the end of winter, but now I am going to learn from you and still do my regular BKT in January!

Tafa01

I don't have many knots. My hair just become harder to detangle when the BKT wears off, and of course the sexy "swang" goes away too lol. But since its all hidden under my wig, its alright.

nichelle02

I've been following yout BKT journey! I'm sorry to hear of your setback. You'd already made so much beautiful progress that I am sure things will be back to good very shortly. In my humble opinion, I think your hair still looks great.

likewtr4chklit

Sorry about your setback. You seem well equipped to bounce back in no time, which means you most likely have MAJOR progress within the next six months. I'm thinking about whether I should BKT throughout the winter or henna and then BKT in spring.

sheba1

Thank you, Likewtr, I really feel you're right. I definitely know my hair. I just got a little too big for my britches... tis all good now. I know whassup. :lol:

Man, I know some were saying they didn't think the Henna and BKT would play well together but my recently BKT'd hair was looking lovely when I flat ironed yesterday. I henna'd last week and the combination left blinging, smooth hair. I think the key to mixing the two is to make sure your moisture/protein balance is on point after the henna before you BKT.

Titansgirl

Hi Sheba,

I'm sorry to hear about your mini-setback. I know that you will make a full comeback!!! YOur hair is definitely fuller and longer now. Keep up the good work!! BKT'ing is definitely a keeper.....

Eisani

Thanks for sharing, it's good to see and hear from people who have let the treatment wear off completely. I wouldn't look at your situation as a set back, more like a learning experience and count it a blessing that you didn't have to cut more! We'll be watching for updates!

sheba1

Hi Sheba,

I'm sorry to hear about your mini-setback. I know that you will make a full comeback!!! YOur hair is definitely fuller and longer now. Keep up the good work!! BKT'ing is definitely a keeper.....

Thank you so much, Titansgirl! I was just thinking about you the other day. Your hair is looking lush in your avi! Hot dog!!

There was a happy ending to this story, after all. After I did BKT #5 I was able to fully assess. I did an update to this update here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=430258

Thanks for sharing, it's good to see and hear from people who have let the treatment wear off completely. I wouldn't look at your situation as a set back, more like a learning experience and count it a blessing that you didn't have to cut more! We'll be watching for updates!

Thank you, Eisani! :wave: I do, indeed, feel like I've learned my lesson. All I needed was a good :spank: :lol: And it makes such perfect sense, right? If I had a problem and found a solution then it makes sense that the problem would return if I stop using the solution... **does a "duh!" to myself** :spinning:

But check out my update to my update listed above. All ended quite well :yep:

Eisani

ooooh, I see...I saw the update to the update before seeing the actual update :laugh: Girl it's early, I didn't even notice the date on the OP!

sharifeh

I'm sorry! :bighug:

But you have some awesome hair! BKT sounds great, I hope I can try it one day.

Do you do your BKTs yourself??

sheba1

I'm sorry! :bighug:

But you have some awesome hair! BKT sounds great, I hope I can try it one day.

Do you do your BKTs yourself??

Thank you, Sharifeh :) Yes, I do them all myself. I've heard I'll get better results if I go to a pro, but by now I'm spoiled rotten. I doubt I'll go to anyone else for my BKT's ever now.

I do look forward to doing a roller set and silk wrap at a salon when I hit BSL.

On as side note, your hair beautiful in its natural state!:yep:

Awww thank you so much :blush3: