The back girl.....and.....swimming....oil and water??

lipyt

The Black girl and swimming
Are there any long healthy haired girls (natural or not) that still goes swimming in salt water or chlorine pools?

I'm going on vacation this summer with my freshly permed hair!!!! Being natural and getting in the water wasn't so bad but I'm dreading it with my perm...Some advice PLEASE

I love to go swimming, I just make sure to saturate my hair with water and conditioner before I go so that my hair doesn't suffer from any more of the negative effects of chlorine or salt then it has to. Try not to put any oil in your hair if you can avoid it because it'll float around in the water after you, lol.:lachen:

I don't know anything about relaxers or how they could possibly be affected.

I swam 4 yrs of h.s. competitively with a perm. Just make sure you rinse well, get the chlorine or salt out of your hair as soon as possible. Co-wash or at least apply a good leave after the rinse. I didn't have any problems with being relaxed and swimming.

Have fun. :yep:

I love the beach I live 5 minutes from it so I go often. I am no longer scurrd of the water even when it rains. I put conditioner on my hair and put it in two braids and tie them up with bands kind of like two mini buns. Just recently I've worn a bathing cap but I do the same thing with the braids underneath.

When I went to Miami, i would go swimming like everyday. I didnt put conditioner on before I went in the water but that's a good idea. What i would do is wash my hair EVERY single time I got out of the pool. if that meant I had to wash my hair everyday or even twice a day, that's what i did.:yep: I was not playing with that chlorine:nono: Believe it or not, my hair grew a lot in that one month I was there. I got lots of compliments when I came back.

Wow ok...I guess It will be alright this summer...If not...I'm coming after all of you ladies!:look:

I'm relaxed and I swim often..... In the summer I swim almost every day I love water!!!!

Here are tips I learned from others that have saved my hair..

Swimming....Wet hair completely before getting in pool..This keeps hair from absorbing so much chlorine....Add moisturizing conditioner or , comb cocoa butter cream through your hair from root to tip...This protects hair from soaking up the damaging chlorine & cover with Swimming Cap

After Shampooing ...Rinse Hair with Apple Cider Vinegar to remove chlorine from hair (also rids blonde hair of green stains)...or use a After Swim Shampoo

I use to swim everyday of my life at 6am in the morning. I'm natural but here are the tips I've learned.

1. All use a swim cap
2. Wet hair and use a bit of conditioner then place swim caps on

Most important

3. Upon completion of your swim, rinse with COLD water. You don't want to use hot/warm water because it will "set" the chlorine in the hair. Of course, you should also use only cold water to rinse your swimsuit also.

I take an intensive water aerobics class 3 times per week. We are required to swim the lenght of the pool 2x as a warm up. To protect my hair (and my color) from the clorine, I wear two swim caps, the one underneath has a chin strap. The only part of my hair that gets soaked is the nape of my neck. When I'm being lazy or if I forget my caps, I just braid my hair in 6 cornrows which helps prevent excessive drying.:yep:

Ooh, y'all have helped me out. I love to go to the beach, but never knew what to do about my hair. I live in FL, so I'm a water baby.:beach:

Wow this thread is a very helpful ! My parents recently bought a house that has a pool/hot tub inside. I had been making lots of excuses not to swim and just sitting in the hottub 'cause my perm was new. I think I swam once and RAN to the shower to wash my hair! LOL I relaly should swim more 'cause it's great exercise.
:hottub:

My teen son wears cornrows and I'm always hollering at him to wash his hair after he swims. Like pulling teeth! But he is natural and when I braid his hair I don't see any hint of damage. But of course when he comes home I just point at the shower.

Back