Tell me about half wigs, please!

taz007

I keep hearing wonderful things about these half wigs. I have several questions for the pros:

1. I hear that the combs in them can break your hair. What do you use instead?
  2. Do you wear a wig cap? Which is the best kind?
  3. How often do you wash the wigs?
  4. How do you maintain the wigs?
  5. Do you need a wig head (holder)?

Any other tips are appreciated!:grin:

DarkHair

1. I hear that the combs in them can break your hair. What do you use instead?
-I use the combs
2. Do you wear a wig cap? Which is the best kind?
- I try to wear the wig cap often. I use the ones they give at the BSS
3. How often do you wash the wigs?
- I haven't washed my wig(s) yet. I don't put product on it
4. How do you maintain the wigs?
-I keep the hairs falling into place by sitting them on the styrofoam heads. I also use a padded brush for them
5. Do you need a wig head (holder)?
- See 4

LadyRaider

Thanks for the link, Taz.

I "tried" to wear a half wig today. First, I looked like one of the supremes with my big hair. :) And two, I was helping my dog out of the car (she's blind and we went to the vet) and her paw caught it and half pulled it off my head. :)

I need to somehow thin that thing out.

taz007

Thanks for the link, Taz.

I "tried" to wear a half wig today. First,I looked like one of the supremes with my big hair. :) And two, I was helping my dog out of the car (she's blind and we went to the vet) and her paw caught it and half pulled it off my head. :)

I need to somehow thin that thing out.

:eek: Oh no! I am so sorry! Those two scenarios are what I am so afraid of!

How did you wear your hair underneath?

Kellum

1. I hear that the combs in them can break your hair. What do you use instead? I take the combs out and use hair pins to secure the front of the wig. Most of the wigs I buy have adjustable straps at the back for security. I wear my half wigs with headbands because I hate blending. This works great for me.
  2. Do you wear a wig cap? Which is the best kind?I either wear a queen size knee high as a wig cap or my black stain head tie. I just push it back so my front hair line shows and put on the wig.
  3. How often do you wash the wigs? I haven't washed mine yet. I haven't had to. They are synthetic by the time they start looking bad and need to be washed I just buy another. If they start to look a little dry I just spray some wig luster spray on it and it is good as new.
  4. How do you maintain the wigs? I don't sleep in them. I just put it on a Styrofoam wig head when I am not wearing it. I don't comb or brush them. I use my fingers.
  5. Do you need a wig head (holder)? Yes, a Styrofoam head.

LadyRaider

I have my hair cornrowed underneath. I have one braid in the front so I can just unbraid it and the braidout makes pretty curls there to blend in with the half wig. I have the system down. Just have to find a wig that won't give me too much hair!

GreenD

1. I hear that the combs in them can break your hair. What do you use instead? I cut the comb out in the back and just keep the one in the front, and I bobby pin the wig down on both sides. I also adjust the straps in the back.
2. Do you wear a wig cap? Which is the best kind? I wear a men's skull cap. I got that idea from another poster on a previous thread. It works, since it's satin it definitely keeps the moisture in.
3. How often do you wash the wigs? I rarely wash them. I know it's probably nasty, but after a month I buy a new one because they tend to dry out and become tangled.
4. How do you maintain the wigs? I comb them nightly and put the net back on it and then place it on my styrofoam wig head. Sometimes I'll spray it will wig spray and occasionally I'll wash them, but not often.
5. Do you need a wig head (holder)? IMO, yes

Last edited:

*Frisky*

1. I hear that the combs in them can break your hair. What do you use instead? I keep the combs in mine. I haven't had breakage but alot of people cut the combs out and use bobby pins. I use pins as well to secure the wig a little more.
Do you wear a wig cap? Yes

Which is the best kind? I use the cheap ones at the BSS and satin

How often do you wash the wigs? I have quite a few so I rotate and I don't have to wash them as often. I haven't washed any of the synthetic ones yet because I don't put any product on them. I have washed the human hair wigs I have maybe once but when they start to look a little ratty or dull it might be time to wash it. Some people prefer to throw synthetic ones out and purchase new but that seems like a waste to me.
  1. How do you maintain the wigs? I'm not sure I understand the question but depending on if it is synthetic or human hair, you have to treat them differently ie products that are used, if you can curl them, etc.
  2. Do you need a wig head (holder)? I have wig heads but some people just fold them up and keep the package they came in for easy storage.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
1. I hear that the combs in them can break your hair. What do you use instead? cut the comb out in the back and just keep the one in the front. bobby pin the wig down on both sides. I also adjust the straps in the back.
2. Do you wear a wig cap? Which is the best kind? I wear a men's wave cap.
3. How often do you wash the wigs? Human hair- 1 every month or so. Synthetic - same
4. How do you maintain the wigs? Treat it like your own hair. As far as washing human hair use your products. Synthethic: Wash with Woolite and then spray with fabric softner diluted with water ** Good as new. Got this from BHM
5. Do you need a wig head (holder)? yes

SelfStyled

I wear half wigs about 50% of the time..

I bought a seam ripper from Michael's and always cut the combs out of the wigs. I use 2 bobby pins and they seem secure enough to me.

I hate wig caps with a passion. I am prone to headaches so they don't agree with me, plus I think they can murder your hair line.

I wash my wigs about once a month. I have so many it's not like they get dirty, lol.

I store my wigs in one of my dresser drawers that I have set aside. I will put some dryer sheets in the drawer so the wigs always smell nice.

I use Aussie hair insurance on my half wigs, it makes the comb or brush just glide through. Other than that I don't put any products on my wigs at all.

Try to pick wigs that mimic your own texture that way you are not having to over maniulate your leave out hair.

I have a few wig folders in my fotki if you want to see.

ALso don't forget about youtube- there is a plethora of videos, even on how to wash your wigs.