~~TBL 2012 Challenge~~

Vintagecoilylocks

I think for me the biggest issue with heat will be split ends. Once I reach my goal length it won't be as big of a deal because I'll be trimming more frequently anyway.

I'll try more frequent straightening (maybe once a month), and heavier and more consistent sealing. I know baggying and co-washing would probably help too, but I find them to be too much work. :perplexed

Between straightenings, IDK what to do. I guess I could air dry in braids, seal heavily, and bun. Maybe that will keep my ends straight enough not to curl onto each other? I've been PSing all this time, but just PSing isn't enough to keep the SSKs away, so I know I'm not retaining as much as I could. I need to stop being so lazy with my hair.

ETA: Straightening more often will also allow me to assess my ends more frequently. It's easier to dust when my hair is straight.

How often do you wash or add moisture. My point about heat , whether it be blow dry, flat iron or the Sun of summer time is that it robs moisture from the hair. The more heat the less moisture and the coils are dry and tend to catch and knot easier. Lots of moisture, irregardless, is neccessary. My hair still coils up but does not knot any more. My 4a hair was no different then my 3c or 2c it all would knot. With lots of moisture and sealing I rarely find on any more. The only knots I get is if some lent if I detangle to fast, I may make one but can usually work it out.

But good luck with your plan.

Vintagecoilylocks

I think for me the biggest issue with heat will be split ends. Once I reach my goal length it won't be as big of a deal because I'll be trimming more frequently anyway.

ETA: Straightening more often will also allow me to assess my ends more frequently. It's easier to dust when my hair is straight.

Hair Crush has a good video on dusting natural hair :yep:

Vintagecoilylocks

Ok, I see you will go into a maintaince mode at TBL. However, Splits won't only occur on the longest hairs. If heat gives you splits then shorter newer hair will be spliting also. Those hairs will also knot. Something to think about.

FoxxyLocs

I know I haven't been moisturizing enough. I only do it once or twice a week, but that's been recently because I have a lot of other things going on and not much time for hair. When I was more diligent about it though, I still had knots. I'm used to dusting my natural hair without straightening, but when my hair is straight, it's easier to see what I'm doing.

I definitely don't want to overdo it with the heat, but I think in moderation it could be a good thing.

ETA: I don't know that heat will give me splits, its just something I'll be looking out for. I'll be using low heat and a heat protectant, but if I start seeing splits I'll cut back on the heat.

As for the shorter hairs, that's one reason I like to trim straight hair, because it's easy to see the short pieces vs. when I dust in twists I'm just cutting the very ends and can't see damage higher up on the strand, or strands that don't reach to the end of my twist.

Last edited:

Mz.MoMo5235

@Mz.MoMo5235 Hey Mo...why don't you document how much growth you get each month as ur hair grows back out?

*Goes back to lurking*:peek:

:grin:

Yeah I have an album on here dedicated just to show the growth from bald to when ever I decide to stop. I never thought of doing a thread about it though. Figured it be kind of boring. But like maybe every 6mos or yearly do a thread on my current status.

I did learn my hair at this length at least does not like oil!!! Made my peach fuzz crunchy! So it makes me wonder about having oil in my reggie this whole time, whether it was a benefit or if it hindered me. Hmmm

So for now I will take oil out of my reggie and add it as needed with length... Or discover my hair doesnt like it.

Its like starting my HHJ all over again but with out the PJ part and mass confusion. I already have a base reggie that I know works so I just have to tweak it as I go. Its exiting!

Is it weird that I really dont miss my hair? I dont know if that's the ultimate hair Om point or what. But I may miss it in America, but so far I dont think I will

tinagreen10

Yes. I have not had a relaxer in almost three years. I hope to have my braids out in the next two weeks and will take a pic then to share.

Vintagecoilylocks

I am so happy that I have found somee very good techniques and fine tuned my products. Things are much better. Even though I had acheived BCL before it was still a chore to do my hair. Now I look forward to wash day like a good meal. I feel like I am doing something very nice to myself.

Having said all that now its like setting around and watching grass grow. Nothing to do any more. No more worry and fretting. I put my self on a no measure challenge til Summer Soltice. (measuring the layers for progress)

Ah well, probably will try a new scalp oil recipe today just to change things up a bit. Really looking foward to the layers growing out but that will take a while. Simplier is best for me but Oh How boring.

Good news the shedding has stayed away and I have several different short layers of new growth from the past year. :yep:

FoxxyLocs

I got my hair cornrowed, and my braids are BSL unstretched. They look nice at this length, but I would love to have WL braids. I wonder how long my hair would have to be? Probably longer than I want. I'm sure MBL braids would look nice too. I guess I'll see how they look at hip length and then determine if I want to go longer.

As long as my ends don't tangle with these braids in, I think I'll keep my hair braided for most of the summer. I had forgotten how convenient it is, plus retention is awesome. I may still straighten in between. We'll see.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I got my hair cornrowed, and my braids are BSL unstretched. They look nice at this length, but I would love to have WL braids. I wonder how long my hair would have to be? Probably longer than I want. I'm sure MBL braids would look nice too. I guess I'll see how they look at hip length and then determine if I want to go longer.

As long as my ends don't tangle with these braids in, I think I'll keep my hair braided for most of the summer. I had forgotten how convenient it is, plus retention is awesome. I may still straighten in between. We'll see.

*cough*cough*pics*cough*cough*

FoxxyLocs

NJoy said:
*cough*cough*pics*cough*cough*

Lol! I meant to add the disclaimer to my post cuz I knew you were coming! I'm working right now but I will take some pics for you later tonight :)

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

Pics as promised! I had my mom braid my nape in two braids (cornrows) across the bottom so I'm not stressing that area when I make my bun. That goes up about 2 inches and then the other braids are covering it. I had to stretch my hair for the length shot bc it was curled from the bun.

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Pics as promised! I had my mom braid my nape in two braids (cornrows) across the bottom so I'm not stressing that area when I make my bun. That goes up about 2 inches and then the other braids are covering it. I had to stretch my hair for the length shot bc it was curled from the bun.

Oh wow! She did an awesome job. Thanks for sharing. :yep:

Mz.MoMo5235

So prettyful!!!

Vintagecoilylocks

Oh I like very much. So thick and smooth.:spinning:

Vintagecoilylocks

Well I just joined the official no check length challenge. My little personal one really helped. Now that my reginine is moving along I need to keep my hands out of my hair. I am really bad about pulling on the new growth checking.. It's filling in in the thin area's. :spinning: I may start to Co wash more often. Just to experiment. Saw another youtuber. I probably need a no youtube watching challenge also:lol:
By June 21st I may try only five twist. I went to multiple braids last year and have not tried a less amount since. I may return to braids but I will see in June. MY goal is once my layers even out I can do with 2 or 3 twists or braids. But no more than 4. I hope that will really simplify my process.

FoxxyLocs

Shampooed yesterday. May need to have my braids redone sooner since I can't seem to go more than a week without washing.

I wonder if I can still get to HL by this summer? That's my goal. I'm going to PS, exercise, and increase my water intake and we'll see what happens.

SN: Did everyone see the thread about adding your hair stats under your username?

aa9746

I've been wondering the same thing lately. I'm getting close to wl but my braid (unstraigtened) is in between apl and bsl. I don't know what length I need to achieve wl braid.

FoxxyLocs

I got the Willie Morrow comb attachment for my Solia blow dryer. I'm anxious to see if it stays on when I use it bc I had a heck of a time getting it on there. I don't want to have to duct tape it. I think I need to file the teeth too since they aren't seamless. Next I need to get a new flat iron. I'm waiting for Folica to have a good sale.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I got the Willie Morrow comb attachment for my Solia blow dryer. I'm anxious to see if it stays on when I use it bc I had a heck of a time getting it on there. I don't want to have to duct tape it. I think I need to file the teeth too since they aren't seamless. Next I need to get a new flat iron. I'm waiting for Folica to have a good sale.

I recently got a Willie Morrow comb attachment. I ended up buying a new blow dryer because it didn't fit any of mine. Now that I have one that it fits, it does stay on snug (although the position of the buttons on my blowdryer frustrates me. I keep hitting buttons while trying to use it). I've used it on my DD's hair but not my own yet. I also filed the teeth.

I'm just not motivated to do anything to my hair, I guess. Not anything that takes effort, that is. :look: Luckily my laziness is called low manipulation around here. :grin:

FoxxyLocs

I didn't think mine would fit, but I just wasn't attaching it correctly. I found a YT vid with the same dryer I have, so I knew it should work. Can't wait to try it out.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
So yeah. I haven't done anything to my hair in days so, nothing exciting to report. Just trying to stir up some activity in the thread. Um...where's everybody? :perplexed

Ms. Tiki

NJoy How do you normally take in your DE and how much? I have some but I couldn't get pass the texture and the gritty feeling. I need some growth quick b/c I feel like I'm stuck at MBL

NJoy

Here I grow again!
NJoy How do you normally take in your DE and how much? I have some but I couldn't get pass the texture and the gritty feeling. I need some growth quick b/c I feel like I'm stuck at MBL

I put a tbs in hot tea. I usually like chai tea because it masks the chalky taste best. But in tea, it does dissolve well enough.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
So, I ended up detangling and twisting half my hair. It's 4am and I just can't go any further. I did mini twists and they look pretty good. I did the front half so that I can pull them back and bun with the rest of my hair for now.

FoxxyLocs

Shampooed and blow dried last night. Love my new comb attachment. I was worried about snagging but I didn't have any problems. I still plan to file down the seams before I use it again.

My PS for this week is two french braids in a bun.

Oh and I DC'd with GPB for the first time last night (for 20 min w/heat). I liked it. My hair was soft and moisturized, but I don't think it's any more effective than using an egg with my WC or HSR. I probably would buy it again just to have on hand for times I don't feel like mixing.

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
4 days later and I'm STILL twisting my hair. I have about 20% remaining in the back. I just twist a few when I find time. It's detangling first that's requiring so much time. Even so, I like them and will probably keep my hair twisted for as long as I can manage. A week or two, with some retwisting for maintenance, would be great.

Dee Raven

I snipped about 3/4 inch off the ends last night and did a really good S&D. Later today I'm going to do a henna gloss, then I'll probably twist my hair tomorrow for the week.