SWINE FLU..peanuts...pistachios...spinach

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I have to share with this Forum [that those of us who are not living according to the World System but the Word System ] that we cannot allow ourselves to worry about "pandemics" and media-spun stories aimed at mass panic. It hurts my heart to see other Christians worrying about the news ...well, what does GOD SAY? In one of my favorite books of the Bible, GOD SAYS THIS:

Psalm 91
1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. [a]

2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."

3 Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly pestilence.

4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,

6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.

8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you make the Most High your dwelling—
even the LORD, who is my refuge-

10 then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent.

11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;

12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

13 You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.

16 With long life will I satisfy him
and show him my salvation."

AMEN!!

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

That's all very true and another example about the apparent contradictions of scripture. It's not actually an error, it's evidence that scripture contains various levels of meaning in application to every situation in life. Sometimes, one has to approach life practically. There will be g-dly people who die from pandemics. It's not that they weren't faithful, it's that they were human beings. G-d doesn't heap more love on the g-dly than the ung-dly. If He did, He wouldn't have redeemed mankind.

When one has loved ones, parents or children, pandemics do elicit fear. No one wishes to see their loved ones suffer and die from anything. Pandemics usually mean sudden or quick death - such that one wasn't able to prepare for. If we keep in mind that, no matter what, life or death, that He is love and is with us, then in that sense, we should not fear life and it's disasters, but the One who can destroy both body and soul. But health is not promised to anyone.

Last edited:

Laela

I totally disagree with you but I respect your opinion.. we shouldn't allow ANYTHING to elicit FEAR in our hearts. We should be able to trust God that much. I'm not saying Christians should be foolish and not do what they can in the natural.. I'm speaking about FEAR. Allowing FEAR to dictate how we react. The best way to react to an attack or anything for that matter is through communication with God. He'll speak to our hearts on what to do and not do in times of uncertainty....

That's why Christians who follow the principles of the Word always have just enough food, can still pay tithes and can get delivered out of any situation. I don't go for any excuses.... they weaken my faith.

God bless you.

That's all very true and another example about the apparent contradictions of scripture. It's not actually an error, it's evidence that scripture contains various levels of meaning in application to every situation in life. Sometimes, one has to approach life practically. There will be g-dly people who die from pandemics. It's not that they weren't faithful, it's that they were human beings. G-d doesn't heap more love on the g-dly than the ung-dly. If He did, He wouldn't have redeemed mankind.

When one has loved ones, parents or children, pandemics do elicit fear. No one wishes to see their loved ones suffer and die from anything. Pandemics usually mean sudden or quick death - such that one wasn't able to prepare for. If we keep in mind that, no matter what, life or death, that He is love and is with us, then in that sense, we should not fear life and it's disasters, but the One who can destroy both body and soul. But health is not promised to anyone.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I totally disagree with you but I respect your opinion.. we shouldn't allow ANYTHING to elicit FEAR in our hearts. We should be able to trust God that much. I'm not saying Christians should be foolish and not do what they can in the natural.. I'm speaking about FEAR. Allowing FEAR to dictate how we react. The best way to react to an attack or anything for that matter is through communication with God. He'll speak to our hearts on what to do and not do in times of uncertainty....

That's why Christians who follow the principles of the Word always have just enough food, can still pay tithes and can get delivered out of any situation. I don't go for any excuses.... they weaken my faith.

God bless you.

Actually, that's not at all what I said. There are no excuses. What I said was that there is no promise at all for riches and health. That's a fact. But then, G-d gives us scripture to show us hope and protection from all that poverty and illness. That is a contradiction allowable in the Book. So what is He saying exactly?

I've seen a variety of people heartbroken when their "trust" in G-d didn't pan out like they thought it would. So, no...absolutely not...we should not FRET and FEAR (I agree)...but concern? Yes. And fear is human nature ...that's why G-d put it in scripture for us to identify that aspect of our beings.

What I'm talking about is the fact that G-d can destroy both body and soul and that in itself we should fear. I agree with you that we must trust at all cost..I so agree with you there. But in addition IMHO, that trust has to let go and agree that G-d's providencial care encompasses both life and death. Lazarus (he loved G-d and was Jesus' friend)? Job (he honored G-d 100%)? So what happened? G-d's holding the ball in His own court. Yes, expect miraculous results... but if, they do not happen, G-d didn't walk away and neglect us....He just had another plan. I truly hope I've not squashed your trust. That was not the purpose at all. You are strong and faithful and that's what you will draw from. I'm looking at things from a side perspective.

Last edited:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

The way I see it , you both are speaking the truth and not contrary to eachother

On the road, I was thinking about this post and it came to my mind the story of how Jacob became Israel when he wrestled with the angel. I think it was G-d with whom he was wrestling. Maybe the contradictions are that fight, that constant struggle to find rest and peace with G-d...not talking about the unbeliever, but certainly the believer. I'm very glad she posted it. It's a scripture I want to make sure I keep in my mind. I love the Psalms.

Laela

I see your point.. and it's well taken. You're right-- FEAR is a Natural thing for humans, and that's my point: it's part of what makes us weak (human nature.) That's why in Romans 6, Paul had to speak on our "human level" to say we ought to be slaves to righteousness instead of slaves to sin. With this context in mind, a Christian's goal is to be as un-natural as possible, including unnecessary worrying.

I love the Psalms, too. There's so much to learn from the Word!