Surge is for the birds

syze6

I purchased surge and I must say my hair was in better condition pre-surge. I experienced breakage with surge inspite of sealing it with sta sof fro and it seemed to leave my hair drying and hard. I have tossed the surge. I used it for about a month and the growth wasn't anything I don't achieve by simply oiling my scalp with rosemary oil. I'm sorry to say surge is not for me!
To the ladies that are having success "you go girls".
For me it's back to my 100% rosemary oil it is a terrific stimulant and it promotes excellent hair growth. IT has a smell you will get used to but, it certainly works!!

Allandra

Maybe your hair didn't really 'need' Surge since you said it was in better conditioner before using Surge. I'm glad it's working out for a lot of the LHCF members.

Crystena77

Isn't it funny? When I started on this board I went out and bought alllll these products. After reading Adrienne's post about sticking to what works for your hair, I took the advice and my hair is thriving cause of it. I now only use my staple products and use the money I'm saying in my budget for ways to dress up my buns.

Whatever works for you, I say.

I've found success with surge. But since I started using it the same time I started doing vitamins and conditioner washes - I guess I can't be real objective.

Happy growing!

DigitalRain

You know I was thinking about this last night. I don't think Surge is meant to be used all over hair that is already healthy, like Allandra said. Its says on the bottle, if your hair is DAMAGED from extensions, etc then it could help those problems. I'm only using it on the nape of my neck where I have damage. I wouldn't use it on m entire head unless I had problems all over my head. I think its meant for problematic areas.

AngelaP

I discovered that Surge can really dry your hair out if you spray it all over. That's why I apply just to my scalp and I don't suffer from the dryness anymore. I take a eyeshadow brush and dip it in the Surge and then apply it directly to my scalp. That way it cuts down on the amount that touches my hair.

aqualung

syze6,

My hair is fine and gets stiff if exposed to protein. I put Surge mixed with ION straightening conditioner in an applicator bottle (pointy tip) and apply it directly to my scalp. Less gets on my hair than if I spray it on.

You might consider swapping products that don't suite you instead of throwing them away. There's an exchange board on the forum. Surge is a hot ticket item lately, so someone would probably bite the bait.

buffalosoldier

I would defintely use surge if my hair was seriously breaking, falling out or I had a bald spot. In other words if I was desperate !!!!
But I think that you can jinx yourself putting intensive treatment type products on healthy hair that doesnt need it especially every day. The overkill can have an adverse effect and our hair is fragile enough.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
buffalosoldier said:

I would defintely use surge if my hair was seriously breaking, falling out or I had a bald spot. In other words if I was desperate !!!!
But I think that you can jinx yourself putting intensive treatment type products on healthy hair that doesnt need it especially every day. The overkill can have an adverse effect and our hair is fragile enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree.

jasmin

This is my thing. I'll buy anything that spells moisture and I'm not sure if Surge does that.

AngelaP

[ QUOTE ]
jasmin said:
This is my thing. I'll buy anything that spells moisture and I'm not sure if Surge does that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're looking for moisture, I don't necessarily think that Surge is the right product. It has protein in it and it had a tendency to dry out my hair when I sprayed it all over. You can use it along with other products to maintain moisture...but I don't think it will add to the moisture.

pookeylou

Tweet tweet!!!

I think it is important to remember...its ok to try things...but if your hair is really happy...LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

I see threads on "St. Ives Conditioner is really great!" or "Dominican Blowdry is the way to go!" Or "The Rollerset is the best way to style hair!"...but that does not mean I need to try it...my hair needed the help of Surge...the damage from overprocessing with perms was real...

I hate it didnt work for you...hopefully it didnt cost you anything (maybe someone gave you a bottle)...but it sounded like you didnt need it anyway...you already had happy healthy hair.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
I found that alot of people that complain about Surge are not using the product correctly. Every time I read a dissatisfied Surge user they are spraying Surge all over the hair and scalp. You should be applying it to the scalp only. You can use it along with your normal moisterizers. It should not be sprayed on dry hair. Just read the label. You only spray it on the hair as a detangler, so if there are not tangles do not spray on the hair.

LABETT

Certain products that work for others may not work for someone else everyone's hair may react differently.

S

Stylepink

I love Surge. I have 4A/B hair and I have a hard time with keeping my new growth soft. But Surge really does the trick.

DragonPearl

[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
I found that alot of people that complain about Surge are not using the product correctly. Every time I read a dissatisfied Surge user they are spraying Surge all over the hair and scalp. You should be applying it to the scalp only. You can use it along with your normal moisterizers. It should not be sprayed on dry hair. Just read the label. You only spray it on the hair as a detangler, so if there are not tangles do not spray on the hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
ITA. It also says on the bottle, "for best results shampoo hair and use twice a day." Which leads me to believe that you should be washing your hair practically every day if you are going to use Surge. Most of us, me included, are not doing that. I put my own spin on it: I use it once a day, and I try to wash every 3, 4, 5 days.
IMO, unless you use a product exactly as directed, it is not fair to complain about it.

Honey6928215

Well I have no complaints. I use it twice a day as directed. I use it after each wash which is twice a week and spray on the scalp. Plus, I spray a litte on my hair which stops the shedding.

ChasingBliss

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
Maybe your hair didn't really 'need' Surge since you said it was in better conditioner before using Surge. I'm glad it's working out for a lot of the LHCF members.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing, my hair was not in good shape before I started using Surge. It was shedding and breaking alot. I think I really needed what Surge had in it and that's why my hair is thriving so well on it, at this point anyway. There is always the posibility that my hair may not need it after a while...Im sure it will tell me.

ChasingBliss

[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I spray Surge mostly on my hair more than my scalp, and I have no problems. I spritz my hair with distilled water first though, Surge, S Curl then oil (I know it seems like a lot, but I feel my hair is worth all the trouble). Because of others complaining about big flakes, I decided not to focus to much on the scalp. But I honestly believe that spraying surge on my strands every day have strengthened them tremendously. My hair does not break and because of all the other stuff I do, it's still soft.

lunalight7

I used Surge on my scalp only, concentrating on my temples for a month. The overall growth rate did not blow me away but my temples are finally growing in after years of hardly any hair in those areas. Lately, Ive just been using it on my temples.

zora

Hmmm, I don't get it. Why would you put protein on your scalp? Do you think you're basically treating your new growth with the Surge. I don't know.

Someone please explain.

Brownie

I've been using it for a couple weeks now, and I haven't had any problems---I spray it on my scalp, and on my new growth. My new growth seems softer with it; however, I mix it with MSM, Africa's best oil, and essential oils---I rinse/wash my hair and scalp fairly often---so far, so good.

DDHair

I don't have a problem with Surge and I don't think the added protein to my hair or scalp has hurt my hair and I have been using Surge for over half a year now. I do use it in combination with other moisturizers. A combination of things can cause breakage of course I cannot pinpoint if Surge did it for you because I do not know your routine.

Leshia

[ QUOTE ]
syze6 said:
I purchased surge and I must say my hair was in better condition pre-surge. I experienced breakage with surge inspite of sealing it with sta sof fro and it seemed to leave my hair drying and hard. I have tossed the surge. I used it for about a month and the growth wasn't anything I don't achieve by simply oiling my scalp with rosemary oil. I'm sorry to say surge is not for me!
To the ladies that are having success "you go girls".
For me it's back to my 100% rosemary oil it is a terrific stimulant and it promotes excellent hair growth. IT has a smell you will get used to but, it certainly works!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Surge didn't work for ya. But, the good thing is, you've realized it before too much damage was done. Kudos to you for keeping it real. Sticking to what works is never knocked around here.

Valerie

It is 9 days since I have bought the surge, I rinse my hair with rosemary, horsetail, seaweed and nettle rinse, added to it glycerine, rosewater, olive oil, castor oil, aloe vera gel and at little infusium 23, then I spray the surge 14 plus, directly on my scalp and a few minutes later, I rub olive oil and castor oil mixture, and I have been doing this for 9 days now. I have experienced, my hair at my temple which was growing out grey, is coming out darker, also I had a thin area on my crown, my mother and grandmother had that also, and that is gradually filling in. I also mist my hair with a mixture of aloe vera gel, castor oil, olive oil glycerine and rosewater. I feel it is working. I shall be washing my hair, Saturday or Sunday, so I went I loose out my hair, I will be able to see really. I will continue with it. I particularly like the oil and I also like the cream as well.
@Syze6 Do you think that the Surge could be making your hair coarser and thicker? If you feel that your rosemary oil work better, I am pleased. Rosemary is very good stimulant for hair growth.

Karonica

The title of this thread is hilarious.
But as always, what works for one doesn't guarantee success for others, which is probably why I'm not going to buy it. My hair is totally different from the majority on this board, as I've learned.

Cleo

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
The title of this thread is hilarious.
But as always, what works for one doesn't guarantee success for others, which is probably why I'm not going to buy it. My hair is totally different from the majority on this board, as I've learned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree this title is comical. Sorry about your experience sweetie.