Surge Dilemma

T

Tee

I had some breakage from Surge due to the excess protein. When applying, I always tried to spray on my scalp only but it was almost impossible to keep it off my hair. Well, the breakage has almost stopped, and I want to go back to using Surge. Megonw gave me the great idea to put Surge in a pointy-tipped bottle and apply it that way (thanks, chica!
). Do you think it's a good idea to go back to using Surge? I don't want to risk more breakage, but Surge was doing wonders for the short area in the nape of my head where I was using it. What do you think?

nolechik

FSU Alumni/Grad Student
Tee, maybe you should just do a "test" on a very small section of your hair. By doing that you won't be applying it to your whole head going through the possibilities of protein overload all over again.

T

Tee

I was never applying it to my whole head. The area I apply it is about a third the size of my palm. I'm scared of Surge but I love it!

nolechik

FSU Alumni/Grad Student
My bad....I must've misread your posts (lol). It's worth a shot Tee. Just make sure you moisturize the section you apply it to. Maybe we can bump for more opinions.

JenJen2721

Ok, I thought I was the only that experienced breakage due to Surge. I thought about trying to mix it with oil, but I decided to get rid of it altogether. I sold it on the Hair Exchange board. I figured the risk of further breakage is not worth it.
There are other things that have increased my growth rate in the past. My main concern right now is getting the health of my hair back.

monister

well i havent had any breakage with it.. what i do it as soon as i spray surge on i saturate my hair with either sulfur 8, mango butter or motions cprw/tree tea oil

hope that helps

monister

bimbabe

Give the nozzle a try.
Part your hair well too so you can see you are applying it just to the scalp.
Surge all over my hair felt good for the first day but after that I stopped.

Irresistible

I would personally choose to toss anything that caused me ANY problems with breakage and never use it again. if you have breakage again it will be like your really not getting anywhere.

joyous

I actually started by using Surge evry other day and followed with a light moisturizer. After 2 weeks I increased usuage to once daily always followed by moisturizer. Now I'm up to twice daily and loving it. Maybe you could try these methods and see what works best for your hair.You may not need to spray every day and still get great results.HTH

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Every since the first day I used Surge I have ALWAYS followed it with some type of moisture (castor oil, jojoba oil, mango butter, shea butter. This seems to work for me.

I only spray my scalp and I have noticed with Surge a little goes a long way. There was no need for me to saturate my scalp with it. My friend who started using it in March adds castor oil to her bottle and she doesn't have any problems either.

Just a suggestion should you decided to continue to use it.

aqualung

[ QUOTE ]
simplycee said:
My friend who started using it in March adds castor oil to her bottle and she doesn't have any problems either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lately I'm mixing Nutrine garlic conditioner (garlic extract and castor oil) and Sulfur 8 with my Surge. This concoction is less runny than Surge alone. Now my hair doesn't dry hard and brittle after each application!

patticake

Surge also began to cause breakage for me as well as very rough itchy patches on some parts of my head. I was using it twice a day for 5 months. Once the rough patches and breakage began developing i used it only once a day with some Hot Six Oil. this didn't help much so i just tossed it. i find that daily condition washes has saved my hair and increased my growth. Surge really does grow your hair, but it also has side effects for some people.

zealot

I started using surge in April and so far I haven't experienced any breakage. But, that could be b/c I mostly use it to detangle my hair. Also, if surge is causing your breakage then discontinue using it. Because there are going to be some products that everyone is not going to be able to use and it is best to stop using a product before it cause any futher damage.