STYLES FOR BREAKAGE AT THE CROWN

peacelove

The back of my hair is growing great, but my crown has breakage. My main protective style is pulling my hair back into a bun, but I feel that I am pulling to much on the hair that I have breakage. Can you recommend some styles for breakage in this area? Thanks!

sweetpea5000

I've had sooo much breakage in the past arond my crown from wearing ponytails and buns. I think part of the reason is because my hair wasn't really long enough to have to look I wanted, slick back with a decent sized bun, so I would pull back sooo tight and try to make it look longer, and use lots of gel to try and keep it all back.

I think a pony tail would be okay if you're able to make it loose, you could also try leaving out the hair around your crown and cornrowing it down, or doing a braidout on that section. Or, you could wear your hair in a braidout altogether.

I would just be careful with the pulled back styles because sometimes they can do more harm than good, espcially if they are tight.

sephora

oh, sweetpea, why do you sound exactly like my mom?!

it's so true though...

Brownie

You could wear a thick head band to cover your crown area, and then you can do anything with the rest of your hair.

sweetpea5000

[ QUOTE ]
sephora said:
oh, sweetpea, why do you sound exactly like my mom?!

it's so true though...

[/ QUOTE ]

My mom used to make fun of my bun and call it my "rosebud".

Babygurl

I used to have the bad breakage in the crown area because I LOVED my high ponytail and it was actually breaking my hair. Ive found that a low bun or even a little higher is not as bad for it and I have NO breakage at the crown anymore, that hair is actually catching up to the other hair.

peacelove

[ QUOTE ]
sweetpea5000 said:
I've had sooo much breakage in the past arond my crown from wearing ponytails and buns. I think part of the reason is because my hair wasn't really long enough to have to look I wanted, slick back with a decent sized bun, so I would pull back sooo tight and try to make it look longer, and use lots of gel to try and keep it all back.

I think a pony tail would be okay if you're able to make it loose, you could also try leaving out the hair around your crown and cornrowing it down, or doing a braidout on that section. Or, you could wear your hair in a braidout altogether.

I would just be careful with the pulled back styles because sometimes they can do more harm than good, espcially if they are tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is EXACTLY what my problem was. The back of my hair grows a lot faster. The front was not growing so it was shorter in the front. I had to pull it more to keep it in the bun. I am currently trying some big clips that I can use instead of the ponytail. I end up not pulling my hair as much in this style. My hairs are fine and it seems like I pull hair out everytime a comb touches it.
hopefully this style helps. I am also going to try the thick band. Maybe I will use silk scarves in the front.

I also just bought Surge, so we will see if that helps me out!

webby

Think Slim
I hope I don't get flogged for this, but I'll take my chances.

My hair is too short for a bun now, but when I had enough length for it, I never pulled my hair ever. I only used jumbo bobbie pins in my hair and occasionally I used chinese sticks to keep my hair up, but I found that anything that required too work stressed my hair too.

I also stopped carrying a comb with me, which meant that I'd touch it less during the day. I shook either my doobie out or my curls out each morning and only combed my hair in the evening and wrapped it in a silk scarf.

Although, I have experimented with different haircuts, as of recent, I had nearly 30 inches of healthy hair, which I believe was due to my lack of handling.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:
I hope I don't get flogged for this, but I'll take my chances.

My hair is too short for a bun now, but when I had enough length for it, I never pulled my hair ever. I only used jumbo bobbie pins in my hair and occasionally I used chinese sticks to keep my hair up, but I found that anything that required too work stressed my hair too.

I also stopped carrying a comb with me, which meant that I'd touch it less during the day. I shook either my doobie out or my curls out each morning and only combed my hair in the evening and wrapped it in a silk scarf.

Although, I have experimented with different haircuts, as of recent, I had nearly 30 inches of healthy hair, which I believe was due to my lack of handling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you say "I hope I don't get flogged for this?" I see nothing wrong with your statement,but one thing I do see wrong is....... 30 INCHES OF HAIR???!!!
Don't be mean,now-where is the album and tell your regimen.