Struggling with tithing because of church greed....

Mizani_Mrs

WOW thank you all so very much for taking the time to post your responses and provide scripture. I will take my time reading these responses and seek guidance from the Lord.

Just another point from me...It's not really MY church...it's ALL churches. Or the large majority, i should say. Its the normalcy of rich or well-off pastors and board of directors and rich churches. And I only hear of a minor project here or there that the church is supporting. I always cringe and think...its nice yall doing that, but is that all???? All of these misguided preteen/teen kids running around with no direction or no one ttrying to divert their attention from 50cent and the latest bootyshaking video/song....It just doesnt sit well with me. These are young impressionable souls that we can EASILY win over, but it would be at a financial expense as opposed to a gain, (because teens dont have jobs and dont tithe). Just think about how rich our community would be if all churches chipped in to support a community center that taught things that schools left out and deprogrammed them from what they see on BET. Wow! ok sorry, i guess i'm very radical with my thinking.

I'll have to pray about it and find out if i should continue church tithing or find some worthy cause that I feel is helping the poor and enriching my community.

PaperClip

WOW thank you all so very much for taking the time to post your responses and provide scripture. I will take my time reading these responses and seek guidance from the Lord.

Just another point from me...It's not really MY church...it's ALL churches. Or the large majority, i should say. Its the normalcy of rich or well-off pastors and board of directors and rich churches. And I only hear of a minor project here or there that the church is supporting. I always cringe and think...its nice yall doing that, but is that all???? All of these misguided preteen/teen kids running around with no direction or no one ttrying to divert their attention from 50cent and the latest bootyshaking video/song....It just doesnt sit well with me. These are young impressionable souls that we can EASILY win over, but it would be at a financial expense as opposed to a gain, (because teens dont have jobs and dont tithe). Just think about how rich our community would be if all churches chipped in to support a community center that taught things that schools left out and deprogrammed them from what they see on BET. Wow! ok sorry, i guess i'm very radical with my thinking.

I'll have to pray about it and find out if i should continue church tithing or find some worthy cause that I feel is helping the poor and enriching my community.

I empathize with your inner conflict...as I have at times...but the Lord brings me back to what He impressed upon my heart when I was a teenager concerning tithing. And at my childhood church back in the day, the environment concerning money, the church, the so-called prosperity movement was not as...how can I say...intense as it is now....

He impressed upon me to tithe, as an act of obedience to Him, giving unto Him, that I've done what I'm supposed to do.... I can emphatically say that tithing to my local church, where I am being spiritually fed, has not failed me because God has not failed me. Like someone else said, donating, tithing to other causes is noble and needed, but, IMHO, this does not REPLACE the tithe to the local body....

Per your concerns about today's teenagers, I hear you.... I just said to somebody last week about how it seems the girls come to church dressed in ANYTHING.... When I was coming up, we had to wear dresses and come to church "respectable".... In other words, parents were INVOLVED in their children's lives and did not forsake their responsibilities, expecting the church to do EVERYTHING. The church can't do or be everything to everyone. And, the church could be doing all that they're supposed to do but if the parents are not following up at home, then the church work is basically of none effect, if not for the grace and mercy of the Lord....

It's not necessarily radical thinking, it's definitely reasonable, and churches definitely have room to improve....

How about this: as you feel so strongly about these issues, how about YOU start something at your local church to address these issues. Draw up a proposal, present it to the leadership and see what happens. The Bible says the harvest is ripe but the laborers are few (Luke 10:2).

Mizani_Mrs

EEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!!!! LOL lol. Yes RelaxrR you are right. I feel this can be in my future. I feel my heart hurts so bad for black america and what we do to ourselves, that i can see myself becoming a community leader. I pray God gives me direction and remove fear from my heart, if it is His will....

How about this: as you feel so strongly about these issues, how about YOU start something at your local church to address these issues. Draw up a proposal, present it to the leadership and see what happens. The Bible says the harvest is ripe but the laborers are few (Luke 10:2).

naijamerican

I just wanted to express that this is an excellent and timely thread, as well as very thought-provoking. It is also spiritually edifying. Thank you all very much!

MizaniMrs, I felt the same way a couple of years ago and did not even tithe at all. What made me return to it is due, in large part, to what RelaxerRehab pointed out. I do not tithe to fill the pockets of my pastor and his wife. I tithe as a sacrifice to God.

I have to tell you that a couple of weeks ago, I was looking at my bank account and feeling very stressed out because I am a student and my fellowship was ending at the end of that week. But I saw that I had set aside a special account for a missions contribution. I contemplated using that money for myself and figured that God wouldn't mind. However, I remembered that I had pledged to God that I would give that money, so I paypalled it in.

A couple of hours later, I found out that I got a research grant that would cover the rest of my expenses for the next half of my doctoral program! The same coverage I had had before - tuition, stipend, and health/dental insurance - as well as money for research expenses (even to get a new computer!) will be provided by NIH!

Do I think that I got it because I sacrificed to God? Honestly, no, because the decision was made before I found out about it. But the TIMING of me finding out is something that I know comes from God. He encouraged me the very day that I had sacrificed a fair sum of money to Him, which He himself prompted me to do.

Yes, at times I worry how my money will be spent. But I trust that God sees my heart and that He will bless me.

Besides - in the Old Testament days, they would sacrifice lambs, which were a form of currency just as money is to us today. And you know that those lambs were killed and burned to a crisp! But the Jews still had to sacrifice, even as they watched their sacrifice literally go up in smoke, because it's the heart of gratitude and a heart that acknowledges that all comes from God, that He wanted to cultivate in His people. I believe that the same holds true today. We don't know where it will all go, but we can be sure that God sees everything. And one day, those who abuse the sacrifices of God will be called to account.

I hope that what I have shared helps you all as much as you all have helped me!
:blowkiss:

PaperClip

I just wanted to express that this is an excellent and timely thread, as well as very thought-provoking. It is also spiritually edifying. Thank you all very much!

MizaniMrs, I felt the same way a couple of years ago and did not even tithe at all. What made me return to it is due, in large part, to what RelaxerRehab pointed out. I do not tithe to fill the pockets of my pastor and his wife. I tithe as a sacrifice to God.

I have to tell you that a couple of weeks ago, I was looking at my bank account and feeling very stressed out because I am a student and my fellowship was ending at the end of that week. But I saw that I had set aside a special account for a missions contribution. I contemplated using that money for myself and figured that God wouldn't mind. However, I remembered that I had pledged to God that I would give that money, so I paypalled it in.

A couple of hours later, I found out that I got a research grant that would cover the rest of my expenses for the next half of my doctoral program! The same coverage I had had before - tuition, stipend, and health/dental insurance - as well as money for research expenses (even to get a new computer!) will be provided by NIH!

Do I think that I got it because I sacrificed to God? Honestly, no, because the decision was made before I found out about it. But the TIMING of me finding out is something that I know comes from God. He encouraged me the very day that I had sacrificed a fair sum of money to Him, which He himself prompted me to do.

Yes, at times I worry how my money will be spent. But I trust that God sees my heart and that He will bless me.

Besides - in the Old Testament days, they would sacrifice lambs, which were a form of currency just as money is to us today. And you know that those lambs were killed and burned to a crisp! But the Jews still had to sacrifice, even as they watched their sacrifice literally go up in smoke, because it's the heart of gratitude and a heart that acknowledges that all comes from God, that He wanted to cultivate in His people. I believe that the same holds true today. We don't know where it will all go, but we can be sure that God sees everything. And one day, those who abuse the sacrifices of God will be called to account.

I hope that what I have shared helps you all as much as you all have helped me!
:blowkiss:
:worship2:Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!

deltagyrl

Interesting thread.

Honestly I struggle greatly with the entire concept of "church" mainly because of the hypocrisy and greed.

Over the years I've been fanatical about Christ, atheistic and anything else you can think of in between.

I do now have an awesome personal relationship with God but church and church people ? I could do without all of that. :nono:

That being said I don't ever see myself tithing at anyone's church in this millenium. I sow into those around me and, I believe, that is pleasing to God.

napgurl

Well I was going to World Changers Church International. No matter what we consistently tithed and God consistently bless us over and over. It was my obedience. However . . . in the beginning of the church we were seriously studying word, word, word. But when we moved into our new building all the pastor talked about was money (money cometh now) all the time. I know money wasn't the answer to every situation. I have no problems believing God for wealth . . . but I missed our original teachings.

I left in search of getting that teaching else where so far nothing comes close. I attend church but for my main teaching I listen tapes.

Energee

IMO (not based off of anything in the Bible, just how I feel) I believe that money/time can be given to different areas outside of the church that contribute to the Lords kingdom. Like giving to a women's or children's charity, donating books, giving your time (which is much more precious than any money). Or giving to organizations that build churches, or giving directly to someone.

IMO-it's the giving that counts, not the percentage or where.

Thank you! This is exactly how my husband and I feel. We'd rather give our 10% (and we probably give more) to actual programs and charities that benefit communities needing the assistance rather than giving it to a church that is not helping anyone and only lining their pockets. Most of these churches are a joke these days really and they have a lot of blind followers. Go with your heart..and if it doesn't feel right (that's God speaking to you)..don't give it. Give where you feel your money and/or time will be best put to use.