Straight hair with mild relaxers

VirtuousGal

I'm sure that there was a thread on mild relaxers that could straighten hair pretty well, however, I havent been able or do a satisfying search since the site changed. So here's another one, what mild relaxer have given you pretty satisfactory straightening results? How long do you smooth and leave on? I was on the Hawaiian Silky regular no-lye no mix tip, but my hair thinned from that...time for a switch!

I use Silken Child No-Lye Relaxer and it straightens bone straight on me. I have 4a/4b with some 3c textures. I have been using Just For Me No-Lye Relaxer for years but Silken Child feels better hands down. I am also able to stretch comfortably too. I'm on week 8 of a 20 week stretch. Make sure you do protein treatments to inhibit breakage prior to your relaxer and roux porosity control to really bring the ph level down in your hair after a relaxer. Of course, I shampoo at least 3 times with neutralizing shampoo first, then the roux porosity control conditioner to finish off. Then a nice moisturizing dc.

HHG!

I use Silken Child No-Lye Relaxer and it straightens bone straight on me. I have 4a/4b with some 3c textures. I have been using Just For Me No-Lye Relaxer for years but Silken Child feels better hands down. I am also able to stretch comfortably too. I'm on week 8 of a 20 week stretch. Make sure you do protein treatments to inhibit breakage prior to your relaxer and roux porosity control to really bring the ph level down in your hair after a relaxer. Of course, I shampoo at least 3 times with neutralizing shampoo first, then the roux porosity control conditioner to finish off. Then a nice moisturizing dc.

HHG!

Thanks for the suggestion! I used a no-lye for the first time recently and it underprocessed like a mug with Profectiv, I was pretty surprised after some of the raves I was hearing, and it definitely had that dry feeling that I heard ppl associating with no-lye with for years. I want to so a corrective with lye...decisions decisions.

Mizani mild, my stylist smoothes over the sections just once and then we wash it all out. I have pretty thick 3C/4A hair.

Alter Ego Linange Relaxer

I agree. I just used this relaxer for the first time (self-relaxed) and loved it. It got my fine 3c/4a hair straight but not lifeless in approx. 18 minutes. I have just enough texture that my hair isn't flat to my head and thin looking. I had absolutely no burning (I did base well) and there was absolutely no "relaxer" smell to this relaxer.

I use Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp with wonderful results!

Since I pre-section my hair, I'm able to apply the relaxer in 10 minutes, then I spend 10 minutes smoothing.

sunnieb regarding pre-sectioning...what do you use to hold the various sections together? I think this is a step I'd like to incorporate.

@sunnieb regarding pre-sectioning...what do you use to hold the various sections together? I think this is a step I'd like to incorporate.

Nix08 I section, oil, and twist my hair like this:

IMG01433-vi.jpg

When applying the relaxer, I just lift each twist and go. I leave the twists in until I rinse out the relaxer and they come undone during the rinsing. I explain more in my fotki album:

http://public.fotki.com/sunnieb/2011/how-i-self-relax-2011/how-i-self-relax/

sunnieb that's fantastic...thank you so much for this:yep:. I'm definitely going to try this...although an hour to do the twists sound daunting.....

sunnieb that's fantastic...thank you so much for this:yep:. I'm definitely going to try this...although an hour to do the twists sound daunting.....

Well you might get it done faster, but I just take my sweet time when doing my relaxers. I'm slow! I love the way my hair turns out though!

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

I used Phyto 1 cause my natural hair was fine and coloured got me bone straight in 18 minutes application took me about 7 minutes and I smoothed for the rest of the time.

sunnieb it definitely looks worth it:grin: 1 more question how do you avoid the mark from the ponytail when you do the pony rollerset?

sunnieb it definitely looks worth it:grin: 1 more question how do you avoid the mark from the ponytail when you do the pony rollerset?

Nix08 - truthfully, I haven't figured out how to avoid the ponytail mark. :look: Notice the crimp in my avatar pic.

So I just wear a banana clip ponytail during the day until I set it for the night to smooth out the crimp with my silk scarf.

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

@Nix08 I section, oil, and twist my hair like this:

When applying the relaxer, I just lift each twist and go. I leave the twists in until I rinse out the relaxer and they come undone during the rinsing. I explain more in my fotki album:

http://public.fotki.com/sunnieb/2011/how-i-self-relax-2011/how-i-self-relax/

Thanks for sharing this tip. Your fotki is nice and your hair looks very healthy. I've been stretching for 42 weeks now and should I decide to texlax in the future, your method with small sections will be the best way for me to do my hair without overlaping.:yep:

Last edited:
My stylist uses Affirm Mild (lye). All these years as a child growing up, I have used some variation of Coarse/Super Strength relaxers because of my "Nigerian Hair". I went to a stylist last year and saw mild on the jar and did a double take. It came out pretty straight (from extremely loose to no wave patter at all when wet). I still go to the same stylist and she still uses the same relaxer.

My severely under-processed areas came from a no-lye (known for being better straighteners than lye) experience from a different stylist. Therefore, I think technique matters a big deal when it comes to relaxing straight.

Linange Texturizer. This is milder version of the relaxer and leaves my hair feeling so good afterward. The best relaxer I have ever used.

Back