Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

@KammyGirl Your post is encouraging to me. What's your straightening heat and frequency? What do you use to moisturize when your hair is straight? Thanks
Can I just say how much I am loving my hair today. I didn't do anything special today just wearing a puff but since I've been straightening my hair has become so much easier to manage - not that it was that hard to begin with but still. And I'm still able to wear my cute flexi rod styles with thickness and no straight pieces. The way my hair looks in the front and back has changed but I like it. That part of my hair already had a looser curl pattern.

Also, since I've been straightening my hair it's caused me to pay closer attention to it. I'm moisturizing more because I know my hair will get dry easier and now it always feels so soft. I love it. Anyway, I'm just loving my hair today and though I'd share. :)

@HappyAtLast I straighten once every 2 weeks. I blow dry with my dryer on the high/warm settings (I tried low/hot and it was too hot) and then I flat iron on 325. My hair is fine so it seems to straighten really easily. Since my hair is doing so well and easier to manage I may start trying my hand at rollersetting and cut the blow dryer but we'll see.

Throughout the week I'll mist my hair with it's a 10 miracle leave in w/keratin. And every other day I'll coat my hands with jojoba oil and run through my hair.

@HappyAtLast I straighten once every 2 weeks. I blow dry with my dryer on the high/warm settings (I tried low/hot and it was too hot) and then I flat iron on 325. My hair is fine so it seems to straighten really easily. Since my hair is doing so well and easier to manage I may start trying my hand at rollersetting and cut the blow dryer but we'll see.

Throughout the week I'll mist my hair with it's a 10 miracle leave in w/keratin. And every other day I'll coat my hands with jojoba oil and run through my hair.
Thanks for that info. I'm trying to skip the blowdryer too, so the technique I'm gonna try on my next wash day is to stretch my hair in 4 ponytails and put knockoff curlformers on the ponytails (about 3-4 per ponytail). I especially need them to straighten my ends. I'm going for a hard press next wash day and see how I like it and can maintain it.

Thanks for that info. I'm trying to skip the blowdryer too, so the technique I'm gonna try on my next wash day is to stretch my hair in 4 ponytails and put knockoff curlformers on the ponytails (about 3-4 per ponytail). I especially need them to straighten my ends. I'm going for a hard press next wash day and see how I like it and can maintain it.
Let me know how it goes. Especially if your ends get straight enough with the curlformers.

Looks like it's gonna be difficult forme to find the TMS beautiful textures product. I looked in Walgreen, Sallys and Wal-Mart. Not one store had the product. I think what bothered me the most is that I looked online before going and confirmed that each store had the product.

I think for my straight hair reggie, I will use curlformers to stretch the hair and then straighten. However if needed, I will lightly blow dry if needed after using the curl formers

I straightened yesterday. Used 23 flexi rods to stretch & dry my hair, then used my FHI platform on 370 (I used 300 from my ears down)

Products after washing:
Deep conditioned overnight with MoroccanOil Hydrating Masque

Curl Junkie Argan & olive as a leave in paired with It's a 10. Installed flexi rods

MoroccanOil serum as my heat protectant before flat ironing.
I slept in 4 flexi rods to curl the ends. I think I've found my sweet spot for straightening. It's flowy, light & bouncy. (excuse the scalp-i-ness...I had just taken down the flexi rods and did not fully fluff yet)

I usually straighten every 3-4 months and keep it straight for 3 weeks but I'm tired of fooling with my hair in it's natural state so I'm shooting for keeping it staight for 4 weeks this go round.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I've decided to keep my hair straightened for the most part. It's considerably easier to manage, especially since I've been mega hair lazy lately

Looks like it's gonna be difficult forme to find the TMS beautiful textures product. I looked in Walgreen, Sallys and Wal-Mart. Not one store had the product. I think what bothered me the most is that I looked online before going and confirmed that each store had the product.

Buy it on Drugstore.com and you can have it sent to your closest walgreens store and pick it up. I've done that for a few items that weren't stocked in my walgreens store (I think drugstore and walgreens are owned by the same company or something). That product isn't stocked in any of my stores either and not in my BSS either.

I finished my hair!! I blew it out and then flat ironed. I am very pleased with the results. I will def do this next time. So its curlformers 1st, heat protectant, blow dry with brush and then flat iron.

Attachments

• rps20150430_132151.jpg
    rps20150430_132151.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 70
  • rps20150430_132102.jpg
    rps20150430_132102.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 69
  • rps20150429_222017.jpg
    rps20150429_222017.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 69
I'm glad I found this thread! I've technically been on this site for a while but I'm not very active. I usually take breaks because my attention span is really short, LOL. However, Ive been natural for 4 years and don't feel like Ive retained anything! I'm still a little past shoulder length, so I decided to start straightening my hair every two weeks because the SSKs and split ends (from ripping out knots) are killing me!

Now that there is a little backstory, I've read the thread and don't see the Wigo tension brush mentioned? I got it after I read an article on blackgirllonghair.com and I LOVE it! I've actually been able to turn the heat on my flat-iron down to 300 F and still et my hair really straight. My hair type is 4...don't ask me to break it down any further because I cant, my hair is incredibly thick, has a z pattern and is very difficult to manage but I don't want to go back to relying on perms, so I'm going to straighten for a few years.

yes really hard to find... i bought up a bunch at my local walgreens..i love it..it gives me a straight look if i opt to wear straight or a loosened curl texturized look if i opt to wear my hair curly..good easy stuff for $12

and its easy to apply via the instructions dont get no easier than that...

I'm glad I found this thread! I've technically been on this site for a while but I'm not very active. I usually take breaks because my attention span is really short, LOL. However, Ive been natural for 4 years and don't feel like Ive retained anything! I'm still a little past shoulder length, so I decided to start straightening my hair every two weeks because the SSKs and split ends (from ripping out knots) are killing me!

Now that there is a little backstory, I've read the thread and don't see the Wigo tension brush mentioned? I got it after I read an article on blackgirllonghair.com and I LOVE it! I've actually been able to turn the heat on my flat-iron down to 300 F and still et my hair really straight. My hair type is 4...don't ask me to break it down any further because I cant, my hair is incredibly thick, has a z pattern and is very difficult to manage but I don't want to go back to relying on perms, so I'm going to straighten for a few years.
Can you give more info on the Wigo method. I've never heard of it. Can always use a new technique.

Can you give more info on the Wigo method. I've never heard of it. Can always use a new technique.

Sure! It's exactly like the comb and chase method (you want to detangle your hair first) but you use the wigo brush instead, however, the wigo brush has ceramic plates that heat up and makes the process of flat ironing quicker. I usually do small sections anyway because my hair is thick, but I only have to do one pass and my hair is bone straight at 300 degrees. I also use three heat protectants, four if you count grapeseed oil (two for blow drying and two for flat-ironing) and there isn't any build up and my hair doesn't feel weighed down.

When I get home I will post photos of before just using the plain comb and chase and then after using the Wigo on lower heat, so you can see the difference. It's also not expensive, I paid around $20.00 at Ulta. You just have to get used to it because it will pull your hair out if you use too much pressure when closing it.

I saw the Wigo brush a few years ago, but it looked scary to me! (I never touched the Tangle Teaser for that same reason and I put the Denman in my hair only once and knew it wasn't right for my hair!) I remember Brittney (she goes by My Beauty Marc on YT now) did a video saying it pulled her hair out. So like tiredbeauty said, it's a tool you have to be careful with. On my last flat iron, I "tension" flat ironed by pulling my hair taut with my hand as I passed the flat iron and it came out straighter than before.

:hiya: ladies, I have a question. Do any of you have that burnt hair smell, if so how do you get around it? I ask because I always get that smell no matter what temp I flatiron with. If I go too low, my hair poofs up as I flatiron otherwise I get that burnt hair smell.

:hiya: ladies, I have a question. Do any of you have that burnt hair smell, if so how do you get around it? I ask because I always get that smell no matter what temp I flatiron with. If I go too low, my hair poofs up as I flatiron otherwise I get that burnt hair smell.
Omg YES! I have that smell and sometimes even after I wash my hair it lingers for a day or two. Other people say they can't smell it. I guess it's not as noticeable to others because my products smell nice but I can definitely smell a hint of "burnt". I've tried to combat it by spraying my perfume in my hair :look: Probably not the best option so anyone else have any tricks?

I only got that smell once when I went heavy duty on the serum and blowdry lotion. The next time I went a lot lighter and most times now I don't use anything, and no smell.

I only got that smell once when I went heavy duty on the serum and blowdry lotion. The next time I went a lot lighter and most times now I don't use anything, and no smell.
I guess the trick is to light on the heat protectant. I really want to be a straight haired natural cos of ssks and split ends but my hair cannot stay pin straight for more than an hour. And this is after spending close to four hours detangling, blowdrying and flatironing. I don't know what to do anymore.

image.jpg I am really enjoying my straight hair...:drunk: I so missed being able to run a comb through it as well as feeling my scalp.

Yesterday my daughter's friend told me she liked my wig. I was like :lachen:Gurrrrrl you crazy...this is my hair. She was like but you have on a headband and everybody that wears headbands wear wigs :look: Lawd I had to explain that my edges reverted and I was hiding them.

Have yall read this article? I swear it helped give me my best straight session yet.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2014/0...-flat-ironing-natural-and-transitioning-hair/

When I get my hair pressed at the salon, I get that smell too. When I straighten at home I don't. I use more product than my stylist so idk what it could be.

Here are the two pics I was going to post to show the difference (for me) with using the Wigo brush. The first is when I used the tension brush as the comb and chase method at 300 degrees F.

The second pic (poofy one), is when I used the comb and chase method with a small tooth comb at 400 degrees F.

Big difference for me and it got bone straight which it stays that way for about a week and then starts to revert, my every other night scalp massages probably don't help with the reversion. So I don't know how long it would actually stay straight.

Here is the link:
http://blackgirllonghair.com/2014/08/how-i-flat-iron-my-thick-4c-natural-hair-sleek-and-straight/

Attachments

• IMG_2037.jpg
    IMG_2037.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2073.jpg
    IMG_2073.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

I agree with @HappyAtLast, I got the burnt smell the last time I flat ironed and realized that I was a little heavy handed with my heat protectants because the flat iron session before that (two weeks prior) I didn't smell anything.

I had to call 5 Sally's before I found it too.

Ladies who have used the TMS, how do you like it?
I am looking into using it to see if it will help keep my hair straight for a bit instead of poofing up once I walk out the door

Day 10. Still light & fluffy. No products have been added yet except argan oil (on the ends only) every 3 days or so & I'm maintaing the curl by sleeping in 4 flexi rods. My edges have reverted from working out but I don't mind.

Friday, I'll add some Camille Rose Aloe whipped butter gel and do a dry perm rod set for the weekend. image.jpg

Hi All,

I'm actually a curly natural but since i've color treated my hair, it's so dry and gets tangled so easy that i am thinking i need to start pressing it(flat iron) to keep it from knotting up and matting given its current condition. This is a bummer for me because i love the curly and i've concerned about not being able to preserve curl pattern on newer hair. At this point i need to do something to save what i have and i think wearing it straight will lessen the stress on it and i usually find that it's stays moisturized better. I am open to any suggestions here. I went to a brighter color, which i loved, but my hair has paid the price.

Help.

How are you ladies moisture or keeping your hair from drying out between flat ironing sessions?

I'm getting my first flat iron in almost a year tomorrow and I keep thinking to myself how am I going to keep it moisturized. I'm in wash and gos and twist outs so I use refresher sprays daily.
Organic Coconut oil. I prefer it in the solid form because it's easier to control how much you put in. I'd put it in at night.

Back