Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I have worn back to back blowouts since October. When I washed my hair this week I noticed that my curl pattern is much looser. I may actually be able to rock a wash and go in the near future without ssks. I went from 4c to a loose 4a.

I'm taking a month off from blowouts so that I can strengthen my hair. My colored ends need a lot of love.

LdyKamz

So I'm going to hang out in here with you guys! I am just tired of all the tangles ssk's and not retaining length. Last month I decided that I should start stretching my hair more and letting go of the wash n go's even though I love them.

I just need to get a good technique down and who better to learn from than all you lovely ladies in here. Last night I blew my hair out and it got so straight, especially the roots and even the ends...except my ends are starting to poof and frizz. I was going to flat iron tonight (got too tired yesterday) but I feel like that's out the window now with the way my ends look. How do I get a straight(er) blow out on my ends?

LdyKamz

Just bought heat protectants Tresemme Keratin smooth and it's a 10 leave in with keratin never tried that one before. Now I can't wait until Saturday to blow dry again. I'm doing weekly blow dry's. Does anyone think that's too much heat?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I might attempt to straighten my own hair next time. It won't be for a few weeks so I have lots of time to watch and learn on youtube.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Sedu Revolution is great. I got mine from folica.com. A cheaper alternative is the Jilbere from Sally's. It works just as well for 1/3 of the price.

ForestRose

Hey ladies. Im seriously considering this. My hair doesn't seem to cooperate. Some growth but not anything that have a song and dance about.

I'm thinking its because of the tangles I get. Finger detangling still doesn't limit them. The other day I combed out my hair (for a few months I mainly finger detangled) and I massive chunk of shed hair came out meaning that the only thing finger detangling is doing for me is keeping my shed hair in place.

I have 4b/4c. My hair is pretty thick but I get a lot of breakage. No heat often atm either. Do you think this would work for me seeing as I'm trying to grow it out? Or should i just think of another way?

Thank you for reading.

LdyKamz

Kaitlynrs91 I just bought the CHI Air Classic 1" Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron. Got lucky and got it at Target on clearance for $49.99. Going to flat iron this weekend. Wish me luck!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Hey ladies. Im seriously considering this. My hair doesn't seem to cooperate. Some growth but not anything that have a song and dance about.

I'm thinking its because of the tangles I get. Finger detangling still doesn't limit them. The other day I combed out my hair (for a few months I mainly finger detangled) and I massive chunk of shed hair came out meaning that the only thing finger detangling is doing for me is keeping my shed hair in place.

I have 4b/4c. My hair is pretty thick but I get a lot of breakage. No heat often atm either. Do you think this would work for me seeing as I'm trying to grow it out? Or should i just think of another way?

Thank you for reading.

I am also a 4bc. My hair didn't start retaining length until I started getting it rollerset and blown out. I keep my hair stretched at all times. Wash and gos are a no for our hair. When my hair isn't straight I wear it in jumbo braids under a wig. Try to find a good natural stylist in your area that has the patience to detangle and straighten your hair gentlty.

MzRhonda

I need a new flat iron... Suggestions?

Kaitlynrs91

I got this flat iron from Amazon and love it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MA0QY2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

naija24

can you be a straight haired natural with just 3 inches of hair? I may have asked this before, i can't remember :O

I have a colleague with gorgeous but really fine short hair. she's natural as well. she does wet wraps to make her hair lay flat, almost like halle berry's hair kind of. it's really cute and i'm jealous because i'd love to do that but my hair is too coarse.

MzRhonda

can you be a straight haired natural with just 3 inches of hair? I may have asked this before, i can't remember :O

I have a colleague with gorgeous but really fine short hair. she's natural as well. she does wet wraps to make her hair lay flat, almost like halle berry's hair kind of. it's really cute and i'm jealous because i'd love to do that but my hair is too coarse.

I had a beautician tell me to do wet wraps on my short natural hair but I just can't get it to lay flat and straight without being poofy so I blow dry and flat iron to continue the same short style/cut I had when I was relaxed.

jprayze

I had a beautician tell me to do wet wraps on my short natural hair but I just can't get it to lay flat and straight without being poofy so I blow dry and flat iron to continue the same short style/cut I had when I was relaxed.

I used to do it this all the time. I would tie 2 scarfs on it to keep it flat while it dried.

Adiatasha

image-251391613.jpg

Flat twist out on blow dried hair.
I HAVE to keep my hair stretched to prevent SSK and split ends abound

I just cut off almost 1 1/2 inch of my hair due to knots and split ends.. Sigh

I'm heaving moisturizing and heavy sealing my ends twice a day

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
Flat twist out on blow dried hair.
I HAVE to keep my hair stretched to prevent SSK and split ends abound

I just cut off almost 1 1/2 inch of my hair due to knots and split ends.. Sigh

I'm heaving moisturizing and heavy sealing my ends twice a day

Preettttyyyyyyy!
Those darn ssk are why i just recently joined this thread too!

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
Thanks
How are you combatting them???

I'm moisturing with Beautiful Curls shea butter curl enhancing leave in conditioner and then sealing with shea butter.

I wonder if that's heavy enough?

HappyAtLast

So far I'm flat ironing and moisturizing with Cantu Shea Butter and sealing with Crisco. This combo works like a champ on my air dried stretched hair but doesn't seem as effective in moisturizing my flat ironed hair. (Air dried stretched hair still gives me ssk.)

But this is what I have on hand, not necessarily what Im in love with. So far no new ssk, though. I just need to find something where the moisturized feel actually lasts longer.

coolsista-paris

when i was natural at the beginning everyone said "no heat or you hair will never retain".... i stayed no heat for over 3 years with very bad retention!

when i started streching with heat... and dusting : bingo !!!! i started retaining .

i didnt have to flat iron, but at least tension blow dry.

i have 4b , fine to medium strands with high density.

my hair does better straight (less ssk).
so on december 2013 i relaxed my 5 year natural hair . thinking wearing straight hair all the time will make things easier--> stylist did bone straight i hated it so o transitionned from there (im now 15 months post in a week)

Kaitlynrs91

I usually keep my hair stretched but I try to trim my ends in twists every 4-6 months. I'm due for a trim now but I'm waiting until next week to flat iron and get my trim done. I'm probably going to buy the babyliss pro. I'll keep y'all posted on how it comes out. I'm just hoping it can last longer than an hour smh.

sgold04

I've limited my ssks by paying special attention to keeping my ends stretched. When washing my hair in sections, I don't allow the hair to just hang free for a while. I wash in 4 twists, re twist, and wrap the twist up like a Bantu knot so the ends are stretched. I don't do wash n gos (unless I'm prepared for a big trim anyway), and when I do twist out or braids outs, I use perm rods or flexirods on the end. This has really limited my ssks, in addition to protein treatments and moisture.

I usually only wear my hair straight for maybe 3 months out of the year, but now that my hair is longer I'd like to wear it straight more often...eventually. I'm in crochet braids until May.

Last edited:

jprayze

I use the comb attachment with Paul Mitchell super skinny serum. Here's the results without even flat ironing...love that stuff!

image-622984878.jpg

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
Didn't want to straighten my hair but I have a funeral to attend tmrw. I'll should be finished by 1am, if I start right this minute.