Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Whats the longest any of you have been able to keep your hair straight? And how did you do it?

I want to keep my hair straight for 4 weeks at a time until March.

My November blowout lasted a month! Yeah it got a lil frizzy, but I just kept cross wrapping it at night :lol:

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
No, but I am married to a hot Latino :lick:. My husband grew up in Honduras... I speak fluent Spanish, but only when necessary :blush:
You have the exact facial structure of my aunt Brenda & her kids. Everytime I see one of your pics I mean to ask if your Panamanian lol. Now I know.

I'm the same with my Spanish, only when necessary. I need to do some immersion to get me out of this lazy habit though

naija24

I finally have a game plan. Told my stylist I want to go natural and she's all on board. I have one more weave install but I'm gonna big chop in March or so and color my hair!!!

I will do my own washing and things but go to her for presses!

Seriously excited!

LuvlyRain3

Okay so tomorrow I will be 2weeks post flat ironing and my scalp is flaky and my hair feels oily. I haven't had to worry about reversion despite this weather. I would hate to give it up so soon.

Does dry shampoo work on removing flakes or just the oil?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Okay so tomorrow I will be 2weeks post flat ironing and my scalp is flaky and my hair feels oily. I haven't had to worry about reversion despite this weather. I would hate to give it up so soon.

Does dry shampoo work on removing flakes or just the oil?

Just the oil. I am about 2 weeks post as well. I used baby powder to soak up some of the oil from my hair and scalp. My dry shampoo is ok, but I wanted to try something new.

LuvlyRain3

Just the oil. I am about 2 weeks post as well. I used baby powder to soak up some of the oil from my hair and scalp. My dry shampoo is ok, but I wanted to try something new.

Thanks. I'm still gonna try to hold out another two weeks. My hair still has body and move but I can just feel the oil

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Whats the longest any of you have been able to keep your hair straight? And how did you do it?

I want to keep my hair straight for 4 weeks at a time until March.
Longest was 3 weeks but my hair really smelled bad. I think I could get away with it if I used a dry shampoo

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I only flat iron my hair to reduce the amount of ssks I get. I plan to flat iron every other month and trim every 3 to 4 months. I used tresseme heat tamer spray prior to blow drying and 2small drops of keracare oil after flat ironing.

Your hair is really beautiful. So shiny and thick. Wow!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
How can you tell new growth from reversion?

Usually new growth has a uniform kink/curl pattern while reverted hair has erratic bends and waves or crinkles.

I'm not sure if my roots reverted or if my hair grew a lot this month. I got my blowout on Nov 25th and my roots are like whoa

Attachments

• 20141215_093403.jpg
    20141215_093403.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 116

Jace032000

Hey all, lurker here. I'm a straight haired natural...have been since 2009. My hair has been relatively healthy but I find it stays it's healthiest when I wear it straight...less SSKs and tangles.

I do however struggle with heat damage. My stylist calls it "thermal straightening" but I know it's heat damage. Despite the damage, I've been trying to keep it healthy with DCs and routine protein treatments.

Although it hasn't been a year yet (the pic on the left was taken in March 2014). This is my "before and after photo."

image-523860879.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

jprayze

Hey all, lurker here. I'm a straight haired natural...have been since 2009. My hair has been relatively healthy but I find it stays it's healthiest when I wear it straight...less SSKs and tangles. I do however struggle with heat damage. My stylist calls it "thermal straightening" but I know it's heat damage. Despite the damage, I've been trying to keep it healthy with DCs and routine protein treatments. Although it hasn't been a year yet (the pic on the left was taken in March 2014). This is my "before and after photo." Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
Great growth!!! Doyou use any growth aids? Eta: I see you use hairfinity from another thread! I'm going to run and get some more!

Last edited:

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
I've only been using heat protectant spray & serum & my results were good. Then I got argan oil and my results are amazing. I did however misplace my carbon comb so I can't make curls which sucks because the holidays are upon us.

Jace032000

Great growth!!! Doyou use any growth aids? Eta: I see you use hairfinity from another thread! I'm going to run and get some more!
Yes, i started using liquid hair gold magic cream last month...I literally felt like I could feel me hair growing out of my scalp. The results were very quick.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Yes, i started using liquid hair gold magic cream last month...I literally felt like I could feel me hair growing out of my scalp. The results were very quick.

Beautiful growth. Beautiful hair...

Thanks for the product share too. Its in my cart :look:

jprayze

Thanks I already use the liquid gold sulfur oil and see good results but I'm going to pick this up for BETTER results!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
For those who work out on the regular, how are you maintaining your hair??

I just try not to sweat :lol: I usually put it in a loose bun and try to do low intensity. No running, no elliptical, etc. I can do aerobics and strength training without ruining my hair so that's what I do

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Today's blowout. Next month I am getting a rinse. Not sure if I should do red or chocolate

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1419389907640.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1419389907640.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 169

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Ladies what is your favorite dc when you straighten your hair?

I left my bag of products at the salon yesterday. Worst case scenario I will have to buy a new shampoo, protein dc, moisture dc and heat protectant.

ronie

I don't straighten often, but from my 4 flat iron jobs since natural, the best one was with the whole carols daughter cupuacu anti frizz line.
When I was transitioning and doing Dominican blow outs, kerastase masquintense gave me soft, bouncy hair for days.
Joico moisture recovery treatment balm gave me flat hair, but I might have been heavy handed and left it in too long.
The carols daughter shampoo, conditioner, mask, and blowout cream left my hair soft and shiny for days. My hair got straight with one pass at less than 400, and I was done in less than one hour. I did a full review in the February 2014 hits and miss thread.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I don't straighten often, but from my 4 flat iron jobs since natural, the best one was with the whole carols daughter cupuacu anti frizz line.
When I was transitioning and doing Dominican blow outs, kerastase masquintense gave me soft, bouncy hair for days.
Joico moisture recovery treatment balm gave me flat hair, but I might have been heavy handed and left it in too long.
The carols daughter shampoo, conditioner, mask, and blowout cream left my hair soft and shiny for days. My hair got straight with one pass at less than 400, and I was done in less than one hour. I did a full review in the February 2014 hits and miss thread.

I love Kerastase! I have only used the Chroma Rich line for color treated hair, but it was amazeballs. I just can't find a legit salon that sells it and I don't trust amazon and ebay. Does the Masquintense have any protein? I'm trying to keep my hair balanced. It's so easy to over moisturize my hair.