Stopped using MTG...now my hair is MAD!

WomanlyCharm

I stopped using MTG after every wash about a month ago...although the growth was fantastic, in the Texas heat, the smell made me nauseous (and I was only using a little bit).

I haven't altered anything else in my regime (same protein/moisture mix, using natural oils on the scalp,etc)...but my hair has started shedding like I've never seen! :eek:

I've tried Emergencee, garlic shampoo, but nothing is working...the only thing that's different is NOT USING THE MTG.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can your scalp get "addicted" to a product, and throw a temper tantrum when it's gone?

TIA!

I haven't stopped using MTG but maybe your hair is just growing a little slower like b/4 the MTG?

No. It's shedding. I mean BIGTIME SHEDDING. The kind that makes you go, WTH??? :confused:

I haven't had anything like this happen for a very long time! And back then, I wasn't even trying to have healthy hair. :(

I would suggest if you want to get off the MTG to do it slowly, or just stay on it for a while, then use it less and less until your done with it.

OK, I thought it was just me. That is one of the reasons why I went natural so soon. When I stopped using MTG I had big clumps of my hair falling out. And my scalp was always dry. I thought it was b/c I had two texture hair (not all over). I heard "splat", looked down more hair then I ever shed in a years time. Very next day I BC. I haven't used it on my natural hair and I truly doubt I will. I leave MTG to the horses.

Last edited:
I've always wondered what happens after you stop using products like MTG--the effect it has on hair. Guess I know now.... :perplexed

gorgeoushair said:
How often were you using it?

I washed/rinsed my hair 2-3 time a week, and always put some MTG on my scalp afterwards.
I did this for at least 3-4 months.
I hate shedding, and my scalp is dry and itchy...grrrr!:mad:

sorry to hear that,:(

I would like to know if this has happened to anybody else?

i know Ekomba stopped using MTG for a few months and her hair still grew like mad ;)

Wow. I thought I was doing something wrong. The same thing is happening to me. I bought the trial sized bottle. I stopped using it after I finished that bottle because I got a bad rash on my face and neck. The vapors also affected my breathing and had me coughing and getting short of breath at night. I stopped using it about a month ago.

I am natural and just started flat ironing my hair. My hair has been shedding a lot and getting see through in some spots. I thought I had used too much heat with the flat irons.

I got some DuoTex and it stops the shedding for a few days but then it starts shedding again.

The heat from the flat irons may have been a factor with me but it never shedded like this until I stopped using the MTG.

I'm glad I only bought the trial sized bottle.

Hmmmm....there was a thread awhile back about who has stopped using MTG and why. Many, many ladies responded they had stopped using it. Maybe some of them will check in here and let us know how it affected them.

Amina said:
OK, I thought it was just me. That is one of the reasons why I went natural so soon. When I stopped using MTG I had big clumps of my hair falling out. And my scalp was always dry. I thought it was b/c I had two texture hair (not all over). I heard "splat", looked down more hair then I ever shed in a years time. Very next day I BC. I haven't used it on my natural hair and I truly doubt I will. I leave MTG to the horses.

wow thats scary stuff...glad u got through it

MTG and I have been "on-again, off-again" for months now, And I have never experienced this. I guess everyone reacts differently to withdrawl of a product from their regime.....

On a side note, I did experience a major increase in shedding (I mean shedding with a visible white bulb at the tip pf the strand) when I tried out the Miconazole Nitrate. Although it scared me at first, I noticed that Immediately after the shedding came a major growth spurt.

Keep in mind that shedding is the final phase of the hair growth cylce, which means that more NEW hair is on its way. Think of it as a chance to start over and keep these new hairs that are coming in tip top shape......

HTH

my hair has been shedding really badly lately also. I stopped using MTG about a month ago which was a week before my last relaxer. My hair has been shedding ever since I got my relaxer so I attributed it to that as i had experienced burning as well. I haven't used MTG since. I wish I could read my hair and find out why its acts the way it does. Listening to you ladies experiences helps a lot. Trial and error takes too long. :ohwell:

Shashemane said:
MTG and I have been "on-again, off-again" for months now, And I have never experienced this. I guess everyone reacts differently to withdrawl of a product from their regime.....

On a side note, I did experience a major increase in shedding (I mean shedding with a visible white bulb at the tip pf the strand) when I tried out the Miconazole Nitrate. Although it scared me at first, I noticed that Immediately after the shedding came a major growth spurt.

Keep in mind that shedding is the final phase of the hair growth cylce, which means that more NEW hair is on its way. Think of it as a chance to start over and keep these new hairs that are coming in tip top shape......

HTH
Shashemane, I hope you're right, and this is the start of a major growth spurt...but with this shedding, I'm worried about keeping the hair I already have! I'd finally gotten it thick again, and I don't want to lose it.

Okay, ladies....I'm giving up on topical growth aids all together. I got good growth from MTG and MN but I'm not willing to risk breakage, shedding, etc. I'm 1/2 inch or less from armpit and I've come too far to risk a setback at this point. I wish you all the luck in the world but I'm done. I'll be selling some MTG and Neosporin AF in the other forum in you're interested.

Ive used mtg on and off for about a year now. When I use it, its usually for months at a time.... then i stop, for a month or so (usually due to laziness). I have never experienced any shedding or breakage due to stopping. There is no different in my hair at all when i take these mtg hiatuses.

I think it just depends on the individual. Different folks will have different responses. Ive personally never had a problem at all, and i feel totally confident continuing my use of mtg and other topical growth products. :)

WomanlyCharm said:
Shashemane, I hope you're right, and this is the start of a major growth spurt...but with this shedding, I'm worried about keeping the hair I already have! I'd finally gotten it thick again, and I don't want to lose it.

You may want to try using a Garlic Shampoo or conditioner.... I hear this helps with shedding......

I really hope your shedding stops, I know how maddening it can be! When I stopped nursing my son I thought I was gonna go bald!

Lemme know how the Garlic works out!

Hmmm, I had a bout with shedding and now that I think about it I did stop using MTG so I could use Surge, lol, I blamed the shedding on the surge. Interesting

Back