starting kinky twists with a twist?

Evolving78

does anyone know how to do it? i am practicing how to do it and there is only one tutorial on youtube that i can kinda see what is going on. can someone break this down for me? i am being kinda slow. i get the cross over thing confused. is she crossing over the extension and the natural hair at the same time, twist those two together and then start double strand twisting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA5EC_5XPEU

Last edited:
does anyone know how to do it? i am practicing how to do it and there is only one tutorial on youtube that i can kinda see what is going on. can someone break this down for me? i am being kinda slow. i get the cross over thing confused. is she crossing over the extension and the natural hair at the same time, twist those two together and then start double strand twisting?

Check out BRAIDS BY SABRINA on YOUTUBE. Sabrina does it well and she is willing to help you do what she does as her business at no cost to you, she is funny too!

She is holding the extension hair against her own and twisting them together, and doing the same thing to the other strand and then cross them over. It's basically the same twisting method I've been trying to explain for my 2-strand twists. I don't just cross the two strands over. I first twist them separately clockwise then cross them over each other anti-clockwise.

It's the method I try to demonstrate here.

And you use that same method all the way to the end. It's not so obvious that she is actually doing that to the end of the twists because she's moving fast, but also because after she gets beyond her own hair, it's not necessary since her extension hair is already "separated". Twisting the section of the kinky twist that contains your hair (or twisting your own hair if doing regular 2-strand twists w/o extensions helps to keep your hair smoothly tucked away tidily into the twist strands) so that the end product is "clean". The twisting doesn't have to be exaggerated as the demos show. It is only a small turn to keep all hairs in that strand "together". I am doing the same twisting all the way to the end here even though it's not as exaggerated as in my previous demo.

The results are smooth looking twists that hold through several washes. It's the method I used for these regular 2-strand twists that are 4 weeks/8 washes old, and that I can undo with ease w/o any knots or tangles.

She is holding the extension hair against her own and twisting them together, and doing the same thing to the other strand and then cross them over. It's basically the same twisting method I've been trying to explain for my 2-strand twists. I don't just cross the two strands over. I first twist them separately clockwise then cross them over each other anti-clockwise.

It's the method I try to demonstrate here.

And you use that same method all the way to the end. It's not so obvious that she is actually doing that to the end of the twists because she's moving fast, but also because after she gets beyond her own hair, it's not necessary since her extension hair is already "separated". Twisting the section of the kinky twist that contains your hair (or twisting your own hair if doing regular 2-strand twists w/o extensions helps to keep your hair smoothly tucked away tidily into the twist strands) so that the end product is "clean". The twisting doesn't have to be exaggerated as the demos show. It is only a small turn to keep all hairs in that strand "together". I am doing the same twisting all the way to the end here even though it's not as exaggerated as in my previous demo.

The results are smooth looking twists that hold through several washes. It's the method I used for these regular 2-strand twists that are 4 weeks/8 washes old, and that I can undo with ease w/o any knots or tangles.

thank you so much! i like the way you demo! you are a good teacher and i can clearly see what you are doing! i did it your way and it came out much smoother.

Thanks for the tutorial. I am going to try doing some twist your way. It seems very easy and not stressful on the hair especially the removal.

Hi shortdub,
That's my video. (sorry it's kinda dark, its a digital camera that takes some short video) I was actually shining a light right on my head but it didn't help.
can someone break this down for me?
Is she crossing over the extension and the natural hair at the same time, twist those two together and then start double strand twisting?
Yes. that's how to do it.
divide your section in 2 pieces. Hold the center of the extension hair against your own hair right up against the scalp. Hold one side secure (or it can slip out of your hand while you're working with the other side. Then start twisting/turning the real hair and the extension hair together. Do the same thing to the other strand and then once you've twisted the extension hair & the real hair together then cross them over and do what you normally would do with 2-strand twists.

It's hard to explain. better when you can look at it.

My self twists were OK:ohwell: after following quite a few YT'er's instructions, they were neat, controlled but just did not have the layered look I'm after. I finally found a braider today willing do the style I showed her in a magazine photo for $80.00..I know it is a financial hit but she can do them beginning twists not braids and I had a good vibe from her as I watched her refresh a lady's beautiful locks. The shop is within walking distance; a one woman enterprise so she focuses on one client at a time. I think the only prep I need is a good clarifying, deep conditioner and some shea butter. Anything else I should take to the shop besides my ORS gel?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Back