Split Ends and Oil

Lets say I have a split end thats 1/16" and I dont feel like trimming it yet until I acquire major growth. yea i know you all are saying why dont u trim it and get it over with but if I oil my ends everyday, will this split end still keep on splitting higher up the hair shaft or will it remain where its at. I hope this question hasnt been asked before I hate being redun <font color="blue"> </font color> /images/graemlins/confused.gifdant

Hi,

I feel your dilemma girl - and the question may have been asked before - but so what if it has! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am currently trimming my hair every other relaxer application ONLY if I need it. Now for me that doesn't mean that my ends have no splits - that means they have more splits than I can ignore. /images/graemlins/wink.gif I don't know for sure, scientifically speaking, if the hair will split up the shaft or not. But my rule of thumb has been derived over years of trial and error. I just don't see the point of constantly chopping of my hair unless what I'm cutting is beyond repair. I get regular (every 6 months or so) trims in order to maintain the neat appearance of my hair, but other than that I leave it alone. I feel that with many of the regimes we have here we don't need to trim as often as 6-8 weeks or whatever the time frame is. I feel like when you trim all you do is expose another end (or at least this is the way it was with me) that will look the same exact way in a few months. So I hang onto them as long as possible (not until it looks bad - just not trimming every time I see a fuzzy end) and cut only when absolutely needed.

As far as the oil - my feeling is you can't do that forever /images/graemlins/grin.gif but it will help keep the ends moist. I don't think it will stop the hair splitting up the shaft if that's what ultimately happens, but I do think hair ends split because they are dry, and oil helps the hair to retain moisture and maintain some pliability which will help stave off any further splitting of any additional hairs - which means fewer splits in the long run. So I think your instincts are correct on that one. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good luck chica!

Hi Meinzzfuture,

According to Cathy Howes and a few other internet sources, hair does not split all the way up the shaft. It will split off to the side at some point. Of course I had to test this theory and sure enough, she was right. I have tried this on some hairs that fell out of my hair and it always breaks off to the side. So basically, it's nice to trim to keep your ends nice and neat, but not absolutely necessary. Personally, I don't trim my ends anymore like I used to. I used to think I had to trim every month, I don't do that any more. I only trim when I absolutely have to. Probably 4 times a year, once every 3 months. HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The oil only helps temporarily. The split keeps moving. I found the best solution was to get a trim...which I only do now if I need it.

Yeah the oil will not mend the hair....actually the oil will make it look worse and more see through. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Meizzfuture,
Here is my take on hair and split ends. Your hair is dead. Nothing can mend split ends, no oils, no amount of conditioning nothing. Hair splits due to damage and response to the elements (combing, air, etc). The ends of your hair are the oldest and the weakest head on your hair. Oiling your ends can help protect the hair, but it doesn't prevent split ends. I recommend oiling the hair every night. I have experience a split end working its way up a hair shaft. Split ends can lead to shedding of hair and also thinning of hair. I would say cut the 1/16" it looks better and can prevent future problems.

silly Q but......Split Ends

WHAT ARE SPLIT ENDS EXACTLY?? wouldnt u need a microscope to see if the ends are damaged somehow. is it thin ends, uneven ends??? i feel quite silly asking this question cos i am sure the answer is obvious. i mean, if the ends are 'split' how would one know anyway, since each hair fibre is quite thin /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Re: silly Q but......Split Ends

A split end is one piece of hair that is actually split into 2 separate pieces. It can be just a tiny portion or continue up the hair shaft. You can visually see it. I have had enough in my day! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Your hair can also look (for lack of a better word) raggedy at the end-not smooth like the rest of the hair shaft and that can be the start of a split end. Lucky u pandora I wish I didn't have to see any split ends!!!!

If you are opposed to getting a trim, a good dusting is also an option. basically just go through your head examining small sections at a time and trimming only the split ends strands. Certainly every strand on your head is not split. This should help the situation. Good luck.

armyqts advice is excellent. i will add that do this by twisting medium to large sections of your hair and using a very sharp scissors to snip the tips off every 6 weeks or so till they are back to health (check motown girl's website).

ARMYQT sorry to hijack the thread but i think i sent u an email requesting the blackwomen rejoice report. do u have it at all and could u email it to me please /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thats what I do get dustings and less hair is taken off &amp; it looks better.Current length mid - back. Happy Hair Growing! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hi Pandora. I don't remember getting an email from u. /images/graemlins/confused.gif I have to check my email when I get home, but I'm almost 100% sure that I still have the report. Send me another email and I'll forward it to you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back