Spinoff: What Makes a Good Wife?

cocoberry10

Hi Ladies:

This is a spinoff of the thread How do I stop wanting/craving a relationship and just trust God? http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=114296.

In the past, I have been like Kia, really wanting a relationship, especially in my late teens, early, early 20's (like 20-22). I felt like having a relationship was sooooo important, and if I wasn't dating, I felt awkward. I'm still in my 20's (more mid), but lately I haven't been wanting a relationship and it's because I see so many areas of my life that I want to be better at before I get involved with someone.

One of the things I've thought about is how can I be a good wife? This is the bar I've set for myself. I feel like I don't want to be in a serious relationship again until I feel that I can be a good wife. I'm a little bit of a perfectionist (something God is working on in me), but I do think there are definite qualities a good wife should have. I think a lot of us get so caught up in wanting someone, but we don't always prepare ourselves for the role of wife/significant other, and when someone comes, we were so busy crying and praying for them, instead of preparing ourselves, that sometimes we sabotage what could have been a good relationship. No one take the above personally, I'm not denying that loneliness can be DIFFICULT. I know!

I will list mine, but ask you all...((and some of these I'm working on being better at myself:) )

What Makes a Good Wife (What Makes you Good Wife Material)

1) A woman who loves and knows her value is in the Lord, not the man. Because of this, she can compliment the man in many areas of his life. Of course all women want compliments and love from a man, but you will not need this every minute to feel valued, b/c you have a sense of your own value.

2) She can keep house. Now, I know many of us are modern girls, and I am one of them, but I am realizing that men truly appreciate a woman that can keep house. It doesn't mean that he should feel like he can be a messy slob, but I do think it's important for me to be able to keep house. I have a habit of either being a neat freak, or kinda messy (it's one or the other, not usually an in-between. Meaning, my house is either extremely clean (spotless) or it's messy. When I get stressed or really busy, I can let my house get a little messy, which isn't good. I'm working on this one, but usually I'm pretty clean).

3) She can cook. Luckily for me, I can cook, and I actually enjoy it, so it wouldn't be a problem. Again, I know many women feel like it's not their job/role, but I also am finding a lot of men appreciate a woman that can cook. Some of my guy friends say "why would I get married? I am cleaner than most women, and I cook better?" This may sound sexist, but I do think that men appreciate the old fashioned woman, more than we realize.

4) She doesn't compete with her man. I am an ambitious woman, and I come from a line of successful people, but what I've seen is that the marriage is about a love relationship, not a competition to see who can outearn the other, who can get the promotion first, and who can be more successful. Especially in the times we live in, I feel that it's become more difficult for women, b/c we are out in the world "doing the thing." Often even if you are a humble woman, if you are successful, many men are intimidated by this (even those that are successful themselves). BUT, there are women (and I've seen this) who seem to want to upstage the men they are in a relationship with (no one on this forum of course:) ). It hurts my soul to see women who embarass their men in public by saying things like "since I make more money." Most of my guy friends say they don't care if a woman "outearns" them, but they do want a woman that "makes them feel like a man," meaning someone that makes them feel needed. I think many men want to feel needed.

5) She's "in touch" with her feminine side. There have been many threads on this, so I won't say much. Let's just say, I think guys do like seeing a 'pretty' womanly looking woman.

6) She's kindhearted, but doesn't take no crap from anyone:) . I am a giving person, but I realized that sometimes I can be too giving. It's something God has been showing me. I am working on balancing being giving with putting my foot down more. I really listen to when the Holy Spirit tells me to do something for someone, versus when the Holy Spirit tells me not to. I'm especially weak to "help out the brothers," and like I said, sometimes God says "go" and sometimes he says "no." I had to bump Brownsugarflygirl's quote...I will not play "helpmeet" with someone* (lol...sad but true)

*This means that even though you may not be involved with someone sexually or romantically, giving them all the emotional support and encouragement that you would if you were..making sacrifices for that person...giving them special treatment...etc.
If there is no commitment involved they gets nothing from now on! No part of my milk will be free without the cow purchase not my time or my emotions...
and her thread (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=99742).

Okay, I think I've said enough for now. I will add more if I think of anything else.

cocoberry10 said:
4) She doesn't compete with her man. I am an ambitious woman, and I come from a line of successful people, but what I've seen is that the marriage is about a love relationship, not a competition to see who can outearn the other, who can get the promotion first, and who can be more successful. Especially in the times we live in, I feel that it's become more difficult for women, b/c we are out in the world "doing the thing." Often even if you are a humble woman, if you are successful, many men are intimidated by this (even those that are successful themselves). BUT, there are women (and I've seen this) who seem to want to upstage the men they are in a relationship with (no one on this forum of course:) ). It hurts my soul to see women who embarass their men in public by saying things like "since I make more money." Most of my guy friends say they don't care if a woman "outearns" them, but they do want a woman that "makes them feel like a man," meaning someone that makes them feel needed. I think many men want to feel needed.

How about I outearn him and spend my money and his. I like that arrangement :lachen:

My daughter friend wore the cutest baby t to her birthday party and it read: " I love my daddy's money!........Ya did know husband means father too, right?! :)

Cocoberry, your post is on point. I'm engaged and those are the exact things I'm working towards, by the grace of God. I also think men appreciate a praying wife, someone who encourages him and guards him in his spiritual walk!

My husband and I do marriage training workshops. We are blessed by God to be able to do this. The original OP's post is very good and gives some really good advice as to what makes a good wife.

There are many other things too that can be added to this, and will help you to have a greater marriage relationship, I'll just add this:

1st - As women, we must first understand our mates. Learning to Communicate with our husbands is one of the hardest things we will experience in our marriage (for some of us, even with great communication, we still have problems with this topic). Women want to talk....they like to talk about everything. Men, they'd rather not. Men have a totally different makeup than women, and deal with issues differently. It's not that they don't like to talk, they just feel that when they do, they are misunderstood (sometimes they can't get across what they want to say, so they rather not say then sound silly) Women are more emotional...we think with our feelings; our hearts are caught up in our relationship. When our husbands don't respond to our needs like we need him to, we lose it. Now, you now I'm right, right ladies? We can go from 0 to 60 in no time flat:spinning:

Men think rationally. It's not that they are cold-hearted or don't love you, they are just different. Once we get to the point that we understand their needs, and their makeup as men (who God created them to be), I promise you that you will find your husband becoming more open, gentle, loving and especially easy to talk to, about everything.

The one thing I found out was that learning to communicate with my husband was not hard. We both like to talk. Actually, my husband talks more than I do :lol: . But, what I found out was that sometimes when we disagreed, we talked at each other, not to each other and that became a problem. Disagreements are always going to be in a marriage because you have two different personalities coming together, from different backgrounds, brought up completely different...and the two come together to become "ONE". That's a task only God our Father can work out. That's why "A three cord strand is not easily broken." It's not that it 'Can't' be broken, but it's not easily broken as long as you have the two people seeking out God to meet their needs as husband and wife and inviting God into their marriage; their conversations, their joys, sorrows, pain and their love through prayer. We need God in our marriages and it makes for better communication. I find that the closer you are with the Lord (praying and having open communication with him, the better your relationship will be with your mate. (example: Oneness with God, equals oneness with your mate)

Communication is the key. You can't expect your husband to be like you. He's not going to...no matter what you try and what you do. So, in order to bring peace and joy into your marriage, you must first learn to communicate. Like I said before it's not an easy task, but you can do it with the help of the Lord. God is good and His mercy endures forever, great is His Faithfulness!

Now, there is so much more to learn, but...you will have to take a class to get more info. Maybe I'll share some more in the future.

Blessings...and thanks, to the OP for starting this thread. Very, very good!

Nice & Wavy said:
My husband and I do marriage training workshops. We are blessed by God to be able to do this. The original OP's post is very good and gives some really good advice as to what makes a good wife.

There are many other things too that can be added to this, and will help you to have a greater marriage relationship, I'll just add this:

1st - As women, we must first understand our mates. Learning to Communicate with our husbands is one of the hardest things we will experience in our marriage (for some of us, even with great communication, we still have problems with this topic). Women want to talk....they like to talk about everything. Men, they'd rather not. Men have a totally different makeup than women, and deal with issues differently. It's not that they don't like to talk, they just feel that when they do, they are misunderstood (sometimes they can't get across what they want to say, so they rather not say then sound silly) Women are more emotional...we think with our feelings; our hearts are caught up in our relationship. When our husbands don't respond to our needs like we need him to, we lose it. Now, you now I'm right, right ladies? We can go from 0 to 60 in no time flat:spinning:

Men think rationally. It's not that they are cold-hearted or don't love you, they are just different. Once we get to the point that we understand their needs, and their makeup as men (who God created them to be), I promise you that you will find your husband becoming more open, gentle, loving and especially easy to talk to, about everything.

The one thing I found out was that learning to communicate with my husband was not hard. We both like to talk. Actually, my husband talks more than I do :lol: . But, what I found out was that sometimes when we disagreed, we talked at each other, not to each other and that became a problem. Disagreements are always going to be in a marriage because you have two different personalities coming together, from different backgrounds, brought up completely different...and the two come together to become "ONE". That's a task only God our Father can work out. That's why "A three cord strand is not easily broken." It's not that it 'Can't' be broken, but it's not easily broken as long as you have the two people seeking out God to meet their needs as husband and wife and inviting God into their marriage; their conversations, their joys, sorrows, pain and their love through prayer. We need God in our marriages and it makes for better communication. I find that the closer you are with the Lord (praying and having open communication with him, the better your relationship will be with your mate. (example: Oneness with God, equals oneness with your mate)

Communication is the key. You can't expect your husband to be like you. He's not going to...no matter what you try and what you do. So, in order to bring peace and joy into your marriage, you must first learn to communicate. Like I said before it's not an easy task, but you can do it with the help of the Lord. God is good and His mercy endures forever, great is His Faithfulness!

Now, there is so much more to learn, but...you will have to take a class to get more info. Maybe I'll share some more in the future.

Blessings...and thanks, to the OP for starting this thread. Very, very good!

Thanks. This advice is very good. I also agree with the poster who talked about praying. I think this is a very important part of any marriage. God first, always!

HERicane10 said:
My daughter friend wore the cutest baby t to her birthday party and it read: " I love my daddy's money!........Ya did know husband means father too, right?! :)

Ummmm... no. :look:

You are right...prayer is the most important thing in a marriage because you are 'communicating' with God about your marriage. God has to be the center of your marriage or it will not work. Period.

God's plan for marriage is wonderful. He has provided everything for us to enjoy. In the beginning, God saw that Adam needed to have someone like him that he could relate with...and that's when God created Eve. God put man and woman together and created marriage...and marriage is wonderful!

Thanks again, for starting this thread. It's awesome!

Nice & Wavy said:
You are right...prayer is the most important thing in a marriage because you are 'communicating' with God about your marriage. God has to be the center of your marriage or it will not work. Period.

God's plan for marriage is wonderful. He has provided everything for us to enjoy. In the beginning, God saw that Adam needed to have someone like him that he could relate with...and that's when God created Eve. God put man and woman together and created marriage...and marriage is wonderful!

Thanks again, for starting this thread. It's awesome!

Thanks for your info too!:)

Good post Coco!

I think the spiritual side has been pretty much covered, so I would add...keeping up your appearance. When you leave the house, you are representing yourself and your family. Put in some effort! (Do this at home too, as much as possible. I've been slacking here, what with the baby and all, but I'm ready to bring sexy back!:lol: )

lauren450 said:
Good post Coco!

I think the spiritual side has been pretty much covered, so I would add...keeping up your appearance. When you leave the house, you are representing yourself and your family. Put in some effort! (Do this at home too, as much as possible. I've been slacking here, what with the baby and all, but I'm ready to bring sexy back!:lol: )

Thanks Lauren. I totally agree with keeping up your appearance.

It's funny that you said the bolded part. When I spoke with my mom last night, she mentioned that her mother used to always say what you said in the bolded part "when you leave this house, you represent yourself and this family." (my grandma is deceased now:( , but it was just ironic that you said it, b/c that's what she used to always say to my mom and her siblings when they were growing up)!

A good wife is a woman of general godly character. Proverbs 31:10-31 outlines this type of woman.

Below is an article I wrote on my website that I feel touches on some of these answers:

The Principles of Proverbs 31 : This Woman Is of Great Value

A capable, intelligent and virtuous woman is of great value to herself, her husband and her children. She is also of immeasurable worth to society and ultimately to God, Himself. Refer to verse 10.

Fosters Healthy Relationships
Because she is trustworthy, reliable and faithful... a comforter and an encourager... her relationships with her husband, children and others are healthy. In other words, because she sows virtue, she reaps virtue. Refer to verses 11-12 and 28-29
Her children and husband openly praise her because they have benefited from her nurturing. Her husband honors her above all other accomplished women. Refer to verses 28-29

Manages Her Household Well
She attentively coordinates and manages the runnings of her household, providing whatever is needed. Today, roles vary from family to family, depending upon individual strengths and weaknesses. But whatever her roles and responsibilities in her home, this competent woman attends to them with consistently. Refer to verses 13-15 and 27

Her Self Esteem Allows Her the Confidence to be a Strategist & Risk-Taker
She counts the cost before venturing out. And when she has completed her due diligence, she is not timid about taking the risk. Following up, she constantly assesses the status of her efforts or ventures, confirming they are profitable. She thinks of herself highly...not proud, but secure in who she is and what she does. Refer to verses 16 and 18

Is Strong and Regal
She chooses to be resilient and strong (mentally and physically) in the face of uncertainty. And she consciously displays an almost royal dignity. Refer to verses 17 and 25

Is Highly Motivated
She doesn't have an attitude of laziness for she knows her work will bear fruit. Refer to verses 19 and 27

Is a Giver
She generously shares her time, talents and money with those who are in need of them. She lends an affectionate ear to those who need comforting. Refer to verse 20

Is Prepared
She is prepared for whatever may come, as is her household. Her confident outlook lies in the Lord as well as in her pre-planning.
Refer to verse 21

Is Striking
She has Godly pride in her appearance, always aware of who she represents. Let's face it. Attractiveness causes others to take notice of our lives and facilitates interaction for ministry and mentoring. When we make ourselves approachable, others will do so ...and then we can readily share Christ.
Refer to verse 22

Has an Entrepreneurial Spirit, or Attitude
She offers her varied skills to the marketplace to gain profit for self sufficiency. Refer to verse 24

Is Confident and Optimistic
She expresses her optimism and confidence about the future, knowing that she and her family are prepared for it. Refer to verse 25

Purposely Speaks Wisely and Kindly
She skillfully considers how best to express herself, doing so with kindness and Godly wisdom. Will her words edify the hearers or tear them down? Refer to verse 26

Is Devoted to the Lord
Above all else, this woman of God makes communing with her Lord a priority. Her daily, practical devotion to Him is sincere and constant. She practices His presence. Therefore her real beauty is not fleeting, because it is more than skin deep. Her grace and charm are not deceptive because she has integrity and honor. This characteristic alone, is what really makes her "more precious than rubies". Refer to verse 30

Will be Openly Rewarded! Hallelujah!
She will be materially and spiritually rewarded for her diligence and her reputation will go before her in all that she does! Refer to verse 31

Copyright © 2007, Glorious Tapestries. All rights reserved. www.glorioustapestries.com

Back