Spinoff of Hair Types thread

caress

Has anyone noticed whether products seem to react similarly on people with the same hairtype? Also if you wear your hair relaxed, do relaxers change this? For instance do all relaxed type 4s have hair that reacts similarly when using certain products?

Also, have those of you that have been natural at points in your life and relaxed at other points noticed how products react to your hair differently?

Finally, are certain hair types more protein senstive? When I was natural my hair did not react well to proteins at all. My hair would get hard and tangly.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
not always as far as types/products

i have noticed differences between nat vs relaxed but i think it is because now i am looking then i didnt know the difference

not sure about the protien, except that if it isn't followed with a moisturizing conditioner it will be hard

brittanynic16

when i was relaxed i use to use grease on my hair and it worked great. now that i am natural my hair hates any type of oil. i just use glycerin and that's all. Also i know when i was relaxed people on this site would rave about products. then i would try them and i would hate them. esspeically Joico. I hate that stuff. natural hair may not react to protein well because it doesn't need it. it is healthy unless you destroy it with heat. but relaxed hair you have to work at keeping it healthy so it reacts better with the protein because hair is broken down when you relax so the protein feels in the spaces.

caress

[ QUOTE ]
msportugal said:
not always as far as types/products

i have noticed differences between nat vs relaxed but i think it is because now i am looking then i didnt know the difference

not sure about the protien, except that if it isn't followed with a moisturizing conditioner it will be hard

[/ QUOTE ]

I would follow a protein conditioner with a moisturizing one, when I was natural, and still my hair would be hard and tangled so I just stopped using one altogether.

ms_kenesha

My hair doesn't like a lot of protein relaxed or natural, but I think that's because my hair is porous *I have spongey hair* even without a relaxer my hair is porous, so it sucks up the protein and doesn't want to let go. I have to do SUPER-DE-DUPER Moisturizing afterwards.

Bunny77

I'm a 4A natural, but my hair does like protein. That's probably because it's color-treated, however.

Hated protein when I didn't have color.

Queenie

No, my hair does not react like most people with hair like mine. I'm thinking that it has something to do with the thickness of the strands. But, I am still testing that theory.

Mariaat40

I thought I was 4A until the "definitive hair types" thread. Now I think I'm actually closer to 3B. But anyway, my hair also hates protein. I was getting my hair done once and my stylist and another woman were raving about ORS Hair Mayonnaise (which contains protein) - how soft it made their hair feel. My hair felt incredibly hard after using it.

NAY007

Caress,

I always make sure that I do tell people (if they don't know) what my hairtype is, because I think that products do work for the same hairtypes or even certain methods. Of course not for everybody but a lot of times this is the case.