Spinoff:Health Vs Hair-Cowashing can be Dangerous

Kindheart

here's the link of the thread
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=62363

I ve realized that cowashing can be quite dangerous when using products that contain recognized toxic/canceroginic chemicals such as Methylparabens/Isopropylparabens/Propylparabens,Propylene Glycol,Benzyl Alchohol etc .
Here's a quite informative website you can find out more infos regarding chemicals in products ,they also analyze a few popular products such as Motions,Fantasia,Lekair,HE,Pantene RnN etc,they also tested alot of products in other categories.Please have a look .
www.goodguide.com
I m not saying to take this as the Word but just take it in consideration cuz there are indeed studies that as been made to test the toxicity of some products and whereas some pass through the bloodstream and get eliminated through urine some others build up in your body such as Parabens :studies conducted on this particular chemical revealed that in breast cancer cells there is a high quantity of parabens which raised high concern on whether these chemicals are safe or not .
Most studies shows that parabens are used in a wide range of products for everyday use from cosmetics to house cleaning products and another reason why they should be avoided is due to the fact that it builds up with frequency of use.

If we consider other chemicals that we come in contact with on a daily basis its quite scary .
I read alot of ladies here cowash massaging conditioner containing these harmful ingredients on a everyday basis +other moisturizers containing the same ((((crap))).
Just be careful please and use natural conditioners for cowashing.
I need to make you aware that LEKAIR has parabens listed really high in the list (prob a good 20%)while normally they should be at the bottom (less than 3%)

Please be careful with conditioners containing Propylene Glycol/BEnzyl Alchohol /Parabens .

PS:Also DC w heat can be quite harmful as the heat will help the ingredients and chemicals penetrate deep into your scalp

Last edited:

Fine 4s

Are you saying beware of the ingredients listed above or specifically co-washing?
Don't 'poos also have these ingredients in them?
Can you or anyone list products that exclude some or all of these ingredients?
I don't find them often...

Thanks for the info!

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
Hmmmm maybe they had some toxic chemicals but even though we call it cowashing yt girls have been washing their hair and conditioning daily with many of the same products on a larger scale, if it really caused serious concern I think we would have heard via mass media by now.

Sasha299

Hmmmm maybe they had some toxic chemicals but even though we call it cowashing yt girls have been washing their hair and conditioning daily with many of the same products on a larger scale, if it really caused serious concern I think we would have heard via mass media by now.

I think (have not done the research) that they have cancers at a higher rate than we do (when we get it, its more likely to be fatal). They have cancer clusters, etc. That could account for it.

Kindheart

Are you saying beware of the ingredients listed above or specifically co-washing?
Don't 'poos also have these ingredients in them?
Can you or anyone list products that exclude some or all of these ingredients?
I don't find them often...

Thanks for the info!
Yup shampoos ,leave ins ,make up,make up remover ,lotions. Etc .what I was tryna say is that
when you cowash on a daily basis you massaging that stuff right into your body and
if you add that to other stuff you ingest ,inhale,apply on your body ,it will increase your chances of developing
Something.
And what I came to realize is that it don't matter how expensive the product is ,it most likely have
Some sort of chemical in it .A lot of company are now manifacturing products SLS,Fragrance(Phlatlate),Paraben free .

Kindheart

Do you honestly think that everything is in products is SAFE or beneficial for you because it has been manifactured ,the chain of thought is "somehow it has to be approved ,therefore won't harm me right ? Wrong
There have been several studies that confirmed some products are toxic yet are allowed to be in products at a certain percentage.
There are still products on the market with formaldehyde although it has been officially recognized as a cangerogen its still being used
Money is the primary reason why parabens and other ingredients ,although they have been scrutinized still have a question mark next to them.Think about much money it would cost for companies to reformulate their products,parabens give an extraordinary shelf life to products and its much cheaper than other options.

Last edited:

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
Do you honestly think that everything is in products is SAFE or beneficial for you because it has been manifuctred ,somehow it has to be approved right ? Wrong.
There are still products on the market with formaldehyde although it has been officially recognized as a cangerogen its still being used
Money is the primary reason why parabens and other ingredients ,although they have been scrutinized still have a question mark next to them.Think about much money it would cost for companies to reformulate their products,parabens give an extraordinary shelf life to products and its much cheaper than other options.

I am not saying they are safe in the purest sense of the word but I do think if they were causing a cancer epidemic there would be more hoopla. Almost everything that comes in a wrapper has a carcinogenic in it, Soy Beans even have carcinogenics. There is only so much label watching you can do.

temfash

I am not saying they are safe in the purest sense of the word but I do think if they were causing a cancer epidemic there would be more hoopla. Almost everything that comes in a wrapper has a carcinogenic in it, Soy Beans even have carcinogenics. There is only so much label watching you can do.

I agree a common sense approach to product usage is more logical than hype/hysteria in my opinion, most of these internet so called researchers/rumourmongers are only trying to sell their so called organic products anyway.:afro:

Kindheart

I agree a common sense approach to product usage is more logical than hype/hysteria in my opinion, most of these internet so called researchers/rumourmongers are only trying to sell their so called organic products anyway.:afro:
IA Obsessive behavior/approach is not healthy as its pretty much impossible avoiding all chemicals since we find em from water bottles to toothpaste. I also don't think ignoring the results of thousand searches (opposite to a website)is in your best interest. They say knowledge is power and its true in the sense that once you know something its entirely up to you whether to make up your mind and dismiss it or make treasure of it .
It s quite difficult to give up all those things that can somehow harm us but its best to know what WE CAN LIMIT or AVOID.
I personally met a lot of people who claim what they read or hear on the news is rubbish and its all made up and nonsense ,my question is often this ,BASED ON WHAT? If you ask me I rather believe in scientists or knowledgeable people than the assumption of a person who doesn't know much about the subject.

discodumpling

Yes these ingredients that are common are known carcinogens what we haven't figured out is how much does it take? Are the amounts found in our beauty products enough to cause cancer? We will never know.

It is nice to strive for a RAW lifestyle where one does not eat or use processed food or materials.

janda

There are so many hair and beauty products out now without all the harmful chemicals to choose from. You don't have to co-wash with chemicals if you don't want to.