Spin off: Relaxed/texlaxed Ladies! Do you do a strand test?

Do you do a strand test before applying a relaxer?

• Yes

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I never did but I wouldn't be blaming someone else if my hair fell out though.

It's always a risk when you're putting chemicals in your head.

im currently transitioning...i never used to do strand tests....i def will if i ever relax again...that video got me scared lol

My mother lost all the hair at the back of her head after applying a relaxer BUT she didn't rinse correctly and left some relaxer in her hair. That was many years ago.

I've never done a strand test and never had any issues when relaxing my hair. When going to the salon, I don't remember them doing strand test either. I probably should do strand test, but I probably won't. I have been using the same relaxer for a while with no set backs. I throw away any unused portions of relaxer. I don't leave the relaxer on longer than the recommended time. I make sure to neutralize well probably 3 to 4 times. I think I am taking the proper precautions for my hair, except the strand test. I know I'm playing with fire, but that the chance you take when using a chemical. What if you do a strand test and everything goes fine. Then you go to proceed with relaxer and have an awful reaction where your hair comes out. You are pretty much taking a chance when relaxing your hair whether you strand test or not. That's what I feel. I may be wrong, but its my opinion. :look:

I strand test sometimes, but sometimes it seems a bit of a fuss. The thing about it is that there are a few different textures on my head anyway, so it seems a bit pointless doing just testing the one area. Anyway, I not very good at doing relaxers and I'm transitioning to natural now. Flat irons and half wigs FTW :yep:

I strand test sometimes, but sometimes it seems a bit of a fuss. The thing about it is that there are a few different textures on my head anyway, so it seems a bit pointless doing just testing the one area. Anyway, I not very good at doing relaxers and I'm transitioning to natural now. Flat irons and half wigs FTW :yep:

Valid point. This could be the case for many people.

I don't strand test because I have extremely resistant hair, I am not trying to relax straight, and I have done every single type of permanent hair treatment (bleach, dye, relax, wave nouveau, etc.) by myself/to myself so I feel like I know my hair pretty well and can gauge what is happening throughout the process. I also have several different textures.

I do recommend that other people do them though. Especially if they have never self-relaxed, are nervous about the process, and extra stress its importance if they are going for a curly look. Makes it less likely that they will be disappointed with the results or cause damage.

I don't even know how to properly do a strand test. I tried it one time and it seems like the hair didn't get straight at all.

My stylist does one when he switches brands. Currently he's using Design Essentials on me three times a year and I've had no problems.

Back