Spanking & Beating Children: Does The Bible Support It?

Ballerina_Bun

Is there anything, anywhere in the bible that supports spanking and beating a child? I’ve have been looking the past 30 minutes and I can’t find anything. I’m working on a “project” of sorts, so I was just trying to find something that says anything one way or the other.

At what point does a spanking become abuse? What is a spanking really?

I don’t see where God is in a spanking or beating. A tap on the tushie or hand, but … I can't imagine God or Jesus beating, spanking, "whooping" some kids behind. :nono::ohwell:

HeChangedMyName

"He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes" (Proverbs 13:24) and "Withhold not correction from a child: for if thou strike him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and deliver his soul from hell." (Proverbs 23:13-14)

Aviah

I support it, but in moderation, as a last result for young children, and explaining to the child why it was done. I agree with the above scripture not only pertaining to physical punishment, bt other forms of dicipline as well...

HeChangedMyName

I think there are some state by state laws that define spanking. a general rule is that it must be done with an open hand, upon the bottom of the child and must not leave any mark. it is legal though both naturally, and spiritually.

Ballerina_Bun

"He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes" (Proverbs 13:24) and "Withhold not correction from a child: for if thou strike him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and deliver his soul from hell." (Proverbs 23:13-14)

:nono: That feels so wrong. Beating a child just does not feel very Godly :blush: Off to read this.

Thank you for posting this.

HeChangedMyName

No problem. I think as a Christian it comes down to the fact that the natural physical body must be brought into submission in order for the spirit man to be in control. When we spare the rod, we are allowing the natural to overtake the spiritual, and in the case of children, we are letting them get away with wrong behaviors, thus, paving a way straight to hell for them.

It is harsh, I agree. But it is necessary.

Here is a site that i found that gives the laws state by state.

Ballerina_Bun

I think there are some state by state laws that define spanking. a general rule is that it must be done with an open hand, upon the bottom of the child and must not leave any mark. it is legal though both naturally, and spiritually.

Thank you. Silly me :look: ... I'm sitting here wondering what's legal and there's a lawyer in this house ... There's a bookshelf full of legal books here :spinning: . Let me to get reading after I log off of here.

newbiemom

I think spanking in moderation is fine. Once not done in anger or frustration because then you can go overboard.

Highly Favored8

As a parent I have to say that whooping is a big no-no. Talking down is a big no-no. Spanking in moderation is fine as well as talking in a firm voice from when the child can understand by voice levels when to just quit it. It has worked for me so far.

goldielocs

I see no problem with spanking as long as it's done in moderation. This is how we handle spanking/ discipline in my house.

There is a chart displayed on the refrigerator, DD room and read once a month during our family meeting as a reminder. The chart has 3 columns. One column is for the 10 commandments, the next has an explaination of what it means in everyday language and the third has a list of punishment and consequenses for violating the rule.

Punishment is the immediate action and consequences are for the long term effect of a poor decision. We think it's very important that children learn about both. Spanking is a part of the punishment phase and the number of licks depends on the violation and the age of the child. Consequences are groundings ranging from 3 days to 3 weeks.

Another part of the process is making sure she prays for forgiveness and apologizes to us for being disrespectful.

Thankfully I've been blessed with a meek child we don't have to do a lot of spanking. I think she's had less than 5 times in her life and she's 8. We spank her with a paint stirrer and on it is printed the scripture from Proverbs 23. My grandfather told me that if a child is disciplined early (2-5) you won't have too many problems when they get older. With my daughter, I've found that to be true.