Some people just don't listen

Jenko

So I currently live with my mama and my two sisters and my eldest sister's two kids and since I've been doing this hair journey thang, I've been giving them tips and the like to help them out along the way and even my managed to get my mom to go natural after a combination of her medications and a bad perm really put her hair worse for wear. My biggest mantra has been moisture moisture moisture! However my eldest sis and her 14 year old daughter just seem to wave their hands at me and ignore me.

Today, My sister gave my niece a perm and like I've told them in the past never go past the new growth (with explanations and all!) but they still do it because according to my niece, "My ends are nappy". So she gets this all over perm and when all is said and done, it -looks- nice. But I go in the bathroom and my niece's hair is breaking and shedding all over the place and she's steady combing it out. Her hair has even gotten shorter from once resting on her shoulders to just a little over the chin. I'm like OMG! Keondra your hair's shedding too bad! You need to put some moisturizer in your hair and she looks at me and shrug. I go to touch her hair and there's the crusty signs of a perm burn that'll scab up soon. I keep telling my sister and my niece to moisturize and be careful with the perms and the heat but they just take my words with a grain of salt. Now I'm just plain afraid of my niece having a patchy head. If only they'd listen!

Lovelylocs

I agree with what everyone else said. Their hair is on their heads- not yours. Once they see how nice your hair looks they'll start to trust your advice. If they don't, then oh well.

Well, you've done what you can, and now it's up to them whether they'll ever listen or not. I wouldn't really worry about it though, some people just aren't that into healthy haircare, and ultimately it's their problem. *kanye shrug*

Spiffy

Show them, don't tell them.

When your hair thrives, they will (may) listen. :yep:

Yes, some folks need results or a visual representation before they hear you on many things.

Also, they could be more concerned with obtaining a certain look over the health of their hair. Healthy hair doesn't register for many people until something seriously goes wrong with their hair or not at all.

10WordzOrLess

I agree ^ when they REALLY care about the health of their hair, the might turn to you, until then, let them scab and break their way to realization.

BlackMasterPiece

Take it from me. When they can physically see the results before their eyes, you could tell them to grease their scalps with ketchup and hot sauce three times a day, they'd make a bee-line straight to the supermarket and take it as gospel.

For most people, the proof is in the pudding.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Honi

There is no board.
Sounds to me she needs protein asap. Dont worry about them. They will be begging you later about it anyway

Sent from my LS670 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Shadiyah

no one listens to me either, they just like bad hair. they will hear anything you say because they are lazy. so like everyone said just do you.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
They're not in a receptive place right now. No matter how much sense you're talking they can't "hear" you. When they're ready, they'll ask...trust.

lovelymissyoli

Don't worry yourself too much about it. Unfortunately, that's the best I can say.

I watched my mother go from a healthy APL to very see-through shoulder length because she still insists on combing relaxer through her hair (from root to tip) every month.

...it's ingrained in her to do what she wants with her hair and at the end of the day, I don't preach or lose sleep over it.

She's seen my hair flourish, but that won't stop her from doing what she wants to do.