Some helpful (hopefully) information ... hard water, conditioning, and relaxers

baglady215

Thanks to this thread, I bought some Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three this weekend. I like it. I left my hair soft, but you could tell it was clean. I will start using this once per week on my big wash day.

HoneyDew

I used a water test strip yesterday and found out that I have hard water.

Since I have been using Kenra Chelating, I seem to have a different head of hair.

For years, I never used a shampoo like that - and it showed it my hair.

LayneJ

Thank you for bumping, silverlotus, and thanks to the OP for the information.

I live in AZ, and the water is VERY hard. I'll be on the lookout for a quality chelating shampoo now. :yep:

Anashja

I went to JCPenny to purchase the PhytoOrganics... I bought that and the Chi INfusion Serum and a Clarifying shampoo .. totaled 40... the clarifying was 7.99, phyto 12 and chi 19.... what happens .... there was a hole in the bag... :wallbash: and I lost my phyto and chi... can we say devastated... so I went back to the mall to find it (with my 3 kids in tow) ...and it was gone.. so i went back to buy it again (im that serious about it) ...and I bought the last shampoo w/o knowing it... so I just got the chi...and im a little saddened, but I know whoever has it just may benefit from it... :ohwell: but I pray they did the right thing and brought it to customer service ... :rolleyes:

Aggie

Is the ORS Aloe Shampoo a light enough chelating shampoo to use weekly or will it cause breakage in my hair?
Chelating shampoos should not be used weekly as they are extremely drying. It is strongly recommended that you chelate/clarify no more than twice a month. I personally clarify my hair only once every 3 weeks to a month.

FindingMe

Wow, thanks for the info! that makes a lot of sense.
My only question is, I have (I think hard water), whenever I wash my hair at home it's dryish and brittle feeling, but if it's not the hard water so much the buildup then why if I go to a salon the next day even if I haven't used a chelating shampoo or deep cleanser the conditioner seems to work.

I'm definitely going to check out the redken or joico chelating shampoo.

Your salon probably uses soft water. Many salons have water filtration and softener systems built into the plumbing so their clients get the best possible results from products.

:nicethread:

Last edited:

FindingMe

I'm wondering if that's why my relaxers have not been processing correctly...

I used a chelating shampoo about 6 days prior to my last relaxer and DC'd with a mid protein. Left it alone for the next 6 days (lo mani, etc.), relaxed it and it came out like a salon relaxer. I also followed up about 5-6 days later with another DC/mild protein. It was probaby the best relaxer I've given myself....

Evazhair

It is important to also remember that all chelating shampoos are not created equal. I use Ion Hardwater which is suitable for daily use. I also dilute it, so I have no problems. I have had the ORS shampoo which I found to be harsh.