Solange's Braids

Ogoma

I have never seen braid extensions this long so I am wondering if it is a specialty brand or if there is a way to get the regular length this long. How many packs would someone with dense hair need?

BadMamaJama

I think it's just regular braid packs. You know the cheapie synthetic or kanekalon ones. I'd think you would need around 7 packs of hair.

westNDNbeauty

There is a process of positioning the hair so that it appears longer and the braids end in a point and not completely blunt. It's hard to explain, but easy to demonstrate, but I'll try.

Imagine the SOLID long horizontal lines below are groups of hair. Once you group ALL of the hair together and fold at the vertical line, the hair now appears longer than it was originally. Basically you are layering the hair to increase the length.

______________________|_________
----- _________________|_____________________
----------------________|_____________________________

Last edited:

BraunSugar

The braids are pretty but I could do nothing with that much hair. I would be slamming it in doors, rolling it up in windows, my son would be chewing on it... It would be all bad for me.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
If you have an experienced braider she/he :look: could also add more hair to the extension braid to make the braids longer.

BadMamaJama

Do they come this long?

You get the hair and don't cut it. You get the amount of hair you want for each braid, then pull some of the hair down to lengthen it. Like imagine taking 2 cut pieces of yarn and pulling one piece so it comes down longer than the other. That will give the braids more length. If you go to iloveboxbraids on tumblr, you will see a ton of box braids, a lot of them super long. It also depends on tall you are.

Aicer

I have hip length box braids in right now.
I love them but man, they are heavy.
It took 10 packs of hair.

I pray they don't take out my edges when I take these out next week.

LoveTheSkinImIn

I did my own and it took 8 packs of hair. I ended up having to cut them. After the first two (looooong) days I finally got used to the weight but the sheer amount of hair was severely irritating the hell outta me.

mallysmommy

i use a brand called xpressions its like 24in long i think. i got it at an african bss. the korean one didn't know what i was talking about. but if you google you should find plenty of pics and sellers.

Last edited:

Ogoma

There is a process of positioning the hair so that it appears longer and the braids end in a point and not completely blunt. It's hard to explain, but easy to demonstrate, but I'll try.

Imagine the SOLID long horizontal lines below are groups of hair. Once you group ALL of the hair together and fold at the vertical line, the hair now appears longer than it was originally. Basically you are layering the hair to increase the length.

Thanks. I doubt I will be able to do this myself. I will have to find a braider I trust.

Ogoma

Thank you everyone. I would love to do this so I will need to find a braider I trust to help me out.

Sidenote: if anyone knows a good hair braider anywhere between Vancouver BC and Seattle, WA, please give me their contact info.

manter26

You can either use the entire length of the hair, instead of folding it in the middle, fold it at the end with one super long side and the other side about 2-3 inches only. If you search YT for vids on braiding with human hair they usually do it that way bc it's expensive and you want to show the length you paid for....

Or, you can keep feeding the hair in, sorta like a single tree braid.

Either way that is way too long for me. I was almost scalped several times when I wore bsl extensions. Every hug was a near death experience. :lol:

Ogoma

You can either use the entire length of the hair, instead of folding it in the middle, fold it at the end with one super long side and the other side about 2-3 inches only. If you search YT for vids on braiding with human hair they usually do it that way bc it's expensive and you want to show the length you paid for....

Or, you can keep feeding the hair in, sorta like a single tree braid.

Either way that is way too long for me. I was almost scalped several times when I wore bsl extensions. Every hug was a near death experience. :lol:

I have been salivating on the style, I didn't even consider the weight or inconvenience of the length until reading the comments on this thread :lol:. I wonder if using human hair would make it lighter. I guess it wouldn't be cost-effective.

SummerSolstice

Perfect explanation...
My mom used to do these for me in college... I watched poetic justice for the first time and got inspired :lol:
But anyways thats exactly how she used to fold the hair, one side short, one side long

SkySurfer

It's all about Xpressions hair. It's SUPER long, and will definitely reach the length of Solange's braids and more! It's light too. I have in long box braids myself right now.