Soaking Hair for Braids

LadyD

Hi,
When using the Crown and Glory method it(video) says to soak the hair in vinegar and water to remove the alkaline from it.

Does anyone know if you are to use white or apple cider vinegar? She does not mention which kind she used in the video.
Thanks,
DeAnna

StrawberryQueen

Uh, I tried an ACV rinse once and it tore up my hair, so IMO, I wouldn't do it. But others have had great results with it.

blazingthru

I used regular white vinegar, No problems at all. Althought I did it on the synthetic hair and not the natural hair. I wonder if you are suppose to do it to the natural hair too? hmmm.

healthyhair2

You are only supposed to soak the synthetic(kanekalon) hair in the vinegar water. I use either white or apple cider vinegar. They both will work well. You don't need to use the rinse on your hair. Be sure to rinse the hair well after soaking it in the ACV.

Keen

healthyhair2 said:
You are only supposed to soak the synthetic(kanekalon) hair in the vinegar water. I use either white or apple cider vinegar. They both will work well. You don't need to use the rinse on your hair. Be sure to rinse the hair well after soaking it in the ACV.

What is the benefit of removing the alkaline from it?

Crissi

Keen said:
What is the benefit of removing the alkaline from it?

Here is my theory: are hair and skin have the ph of 4.5-5.5(acid), whilst the synthetic hair has a ph of 8+ (akaline), im guessing the alkaline would cause adverse effects e.g itching, irritating the skin, or breakage, which probably gives an answer to why quite a few people i know get breakage from using synthetic hair vs human hair.

HTH

Crissi, x

Keen

Crissi said:
Here is my theory: are hair and skin have the ph of 4.5-5.5(acid), whilst the synthetic hair has a ph of 8+ (akaline), im guessing the alkaline would cause adverse effects e.g itching, irritating the skin, or breakage, which probably gives an answer to why quite a few people i know get breakage from using synthetic hair vs human hair.

HTH

Crissi, x

OK. I'm assuming the vinager will not drop the PH level below 3.0 which is bad for the hair also.

navsegda

High Priestess said:
Does anyone know if we are supposed to rinse out the vinegar?

You should absolutely rinse out the vinegar. Most commerical vinegars (white included) have an acetic acid level of 5%, which makes the pH 2.4. The pH in vinegar is too low and too acidic and could cause adverse effects in the hair because our hair's pH is only supposed to be around 4.5-5.5.

LovelyLionessa

StrawberryQueen said:
Uh, I tried an ACV rinse once and it tore up my hair, so IMO, I wouldn't do it. But others have had great results with it.

I did ACV rinses for weeks, and in the short term my hair felt great immediately after rinsing, long term I was left with brittle hair. So I had to drop the ACV too.

P

patient1

I've never soaked the synthetic hair but I've also never had any problems. If the vinegar is diluted and then rinsed, it shouldn't cause any problems. I also don't think it matters which vinegar you use for something that's external and going down the drain. If I were drinking it or using it on my skin, it would be acv from the health food store...preferably Braggs. If it's for cleaning (home or synthetic hair) white and cheap is fine.

hth,
p1

Last edited by a moderator:

TwistNMx

navsegda said:
You should absolutely rinse out the vinegar. Most commerical vinegars (white included) have an acetic acid level of 5%, which makes the pH 2.4. The pH in vinegar is too low and too acidic and could cause adverse effects in the hair because our hair's pH is only supposed to be around 4.5-5.5.
Thanks ;)
It makes sense to me.

cutiebe2

to clarify for anyone unsure on how to remove the base:
1. fill your sink up with water (warm)
2. add about a cup to a cup and a half of white viegar (some people say apple cider viegar works too but I cannot vouch for that)
3.add the hair to the water (keep the rubber band it has on so that you can easily pick it all up and take it out)
4. let the hair sit for a good 10-15 mins. When you come back, you will see a white film over the water, that is the base
5. rise off the hair with fresh water
6. let air dry
HTH!!!

TwistNMx

Thanks Cutiebe2
You explained that very well.
If I decide to try the braid thing, I will consider this.
In the past, my hair did not respond well to braids. Maybe this was why.