So why doesn't Tyra rock her NATURAL hair?

Most of the times I have heard Tyra talk about her natural hair and then shows it...She always has those d*** cornrolls in. I wanna see a fro or some thin/thick tresses with no weave added. For some reason I love her craziness lol She is kind of self-centered and always makes things about herself but I can't help but love her lol She is fierce in her own way and is trying to do bigger and better things that alot of retired models won't do or haven't done.

The following are my personal opinions, which shall be bluntly presented as facts.

Beyond the usual "she's a big time celebrity argument"....

It's because Tyra is insecure, for a number of reasons.

She is not simply insecure about her natural hair, but her relaxed hair too... simply her hair on her head in either state, as afro or modified afro (as in black hair that has been relaxxed... still won't be 2a and dry silky smooth!).

Beyond that, to wear her NATURAL hair would require a transition and/or BC.

She is relaxed. Her relaxed hair is thin, always colored regularly and especially when she DOES rarely wear it out (and it is colored to match her weaves... red or red + blonde - telling, right?)

The longest I have ever seen her relaxed hair is SL, but not full SL. The shortest is full NL.

The cornrows on the show were a lacefront. Her cornrows with her relaxed hair don't look nearly as healthy and full... it is easy to tell they are not comprised of thick, thriving hair.

She does not wear her natural hair because she would have to first except that her hair will never be what it is not, that it will never grow from her scalp like a palm tree, that if she relaxes her hair it still would not, and so on. I don't see her going natural when she cannot even accept her RELAXED hair for its blackness.

She does not wear her "natural" extension-less hair because of a lack of length, health, and shame over it.

How do you know if she's insecure? How do you know that her hair won't grow? Isn't that myth something that we're trying to dispel?

I dont think her cornrows is a lacedfont. On one of her shows, she had her hair braided and it looked just as healthy as it did on this show. The girl is smart. She knows what she's doing. And whether she wears her weave or not, she's just as black as all of us African Americans.

The following are my personal opinions, which shall be bluntly presented as facts.

She is not simply insecure about her natural hair, but her relaxed hair too... simply her hair on her head in either state, as afro or modified afro (as in black hair that has been relaxxed... still won't be 2a and dry silky smooth!).

She is relaxed. Her relaxed hair is thin, always colored regularly and especially when she DOES rarely wear it out (and it is colored to match her weaves... red or red + blonde - telling, right?)

The longest I have ever seen her relaxed hair is SL, but not full SL. The shortest is full NL.

The cornrows on the show were a lacefront. Her cornrows with her relaxed hair don't look nearly as healthy and full... it is easy to tell they are not comprised of thick, thriving hair.

She does not wear her natural hair because she would have to first except that her hair will never be what it is not, that it will never grow from her scalp like a palm tree, that if she relaxes her hair it still would not, and so on. I don't see her going natural when she cannot even accept her RELAXED hair for its blackness.

She does not wear her "natural" extension-less hair because of a lack of length, health, and shame over it.

Maybe its coz its thin. It seems both black and white celebs in the US have an issue over having thick lustrious hair (WW on TV seem to pile on the glue in extensions), especially if you have a national TV show.

I can understand it because I have the same and Im already worrying about not having big hair when I start wearing my hair out of braids. However I can tell a lot from the textures people choose time after time in weave/lacefront/braids.

She also obviously wore fake hair or lace front braids on the show to make them bulkier (yes, I have seen especially made lacefront braids somewhere online I think!)

Last edited:
How do you know if she's insecure? How do you know that her hair won't grow? Isn't that myth something that we're trying to dispel?

I dont think her cornrows is a lacedfont. On one of her shows, she had her hair braided and it looked just as healthy as it did on this show. The girl is smart. She knows what she's doing. And whether she wears her weave or not, she's just as black as all of us African Americans.

I would agree. My hair looks just like hers did when it's cornrowed straight back. And my hair is thin. That wasn't a lacefront. When she turned her head to the side you could see that it was her hair because of the way the edge was. She could have had some hair fed into the cornrows to make it look fuller but most people don't know how to do them that way. You always see that bulb in the front where they added in the hair when you see people with cornrows with added hair. I think the wears her hair braided under the wig and she just took the wig off.

While I don't like to judge I do think Tyra has issues with her hair. Why?

- She lies that her Lacefront is a weave all the time(Still don't get that)
- She can only show her natural hair in cornrows, I'm sure that she sometimes adds extensions

I do hope that she learns to embrace her own hair. She is gorgeous and has confidence to pull any hairstyle off.

Maybe she just don't like Afro puffs or the other Afrocentric hairstyles.

Maybe she likes weave but when she wears her natural hair, she wears braids because that may be the only afrocentric style that she likes.

- She can only show her natural hair in cornrows, I'm sure that she sometimes adds extensions

I do hope that she learns to embrace her own hair. She is gorgeous and has confidence to pull any hairstyle off.

Maybe she just don't like Afro puffs or the other Afrocentric hairstyles.

Maybe she likes weave but when she wears her natural hair, she wears braids because that may be the only afrocentric style that she likes.

Thank you Denise11....I dont like afros and puffs either. When I was natural back then, my hair was always in a ponytail, braided or sometimes cornrowed. When you are 4a-4b, leaving your hair out when you dont straighten it is asking for troubles, at least for me. I would spend a whole day trying to fight against those knots and lose a whole bunch of hair :rolleyes: Tyra has thin hair, I can imagine the damage that would cause to her poor hair from where I am, it aint worth it:lachen:

For those saying she is wearing a LF, aren't we the first to get offended when people assume our hair is fake because it is full, thick or long. A 30-page thread is never enough to expose all our frustrations in such circumstances. Here we go doing the same thing to others. Hello, am I missing something ?

Zara - this post is not directed at you, but I quoted you just so I could respond to the wig/weave comment.

She has said many times that she wears a wig. I remember her talking one day about it coming off when she stayed over somebody's house one night and how she tied her scarf to prevent that from happening. She said in the show yesterday that she wears wig. She also wears weave and talked about that. I think it's funny that everybody scrutinizing her show doesn't even watch it or maybe has caught it once or twice. How can you speak so much about something you really haven't even studied enough to form an opinion about. Just loud and wrong.

Also why does everybody think that just because you're natural (especially those people who are not natural) you have to wear your hair out or in a fro. Everybody doesn't like fros and it takes a lot of preparation and manipulation to get your hair to stand up in a fro. Who has time to do that everyday? And more importantly who wants to deal with the tangles it produces at the end of the day everyday? That's part of the reason why children who are natural keep their hair braided and plaited. To keep it from tangling and shrinking back on itself because nobodies mama wants to wet and detangle from root to tip everyday. Why are people acting like they don't know this? When you wear a child and natural did you wear your hair out in a fro everyday? So why does a grown woman who is natural have to?

I don't know Tyra Banks personally and neither do any of you so we'd all just be guessing..Only way to find out is to ask her. I'll ask her and if she answers I'll let you all know in a thread. :) She has said several times b4 that basically she has to let go of her attachment to wigs/weaves.

I am :wallbash: annoyed that sooo many spin off threads have been made about this show that us none Americans can watch

:wallbash:

Zara - this post is not directed at you, but I quoted you just so I could respond to the wig/weave comment.

She has said many times that she wears a wig. I remember her talking one day about it coming off when she stayed over somebody's house one night and how she tied her scarf to prevent that from happening. She said in the show yesterday that she wears wig. She also wears weave and talked about that. I think it's funny that everybody scrutinizing her show doesn't even watch it or maybe has caught it once or twice. How can you speak so much about something you really haven't even studied enough to form an opinion about. Just loud and wrong.

Also why does everybody think that just because you're natural (especially those people who are not natural) you have to wear your hair out or in a fro. Everybody doesn't like fros and it takes a lot of preparation and manipulation to get your hair to stand up in a fro. Who has time to do that everyday? And more importantly who wants to deal with the tangles it produces at the end of the day everyday? That's part of the reason why children who are natural keep their hair braided and plaited. To keep it from tangling and shrinking back on itself because nobodies mama wants to wet and detangle from root to tip everyday. Why are people acting like they don't know this? When you wear a child and natural did you wear your hair out in a fro everyday? So why does a grown woman who is natural have to?
Girl, you read my mind! your post is so on point. I think what it all boils down to is this. People don't like tyra banks for whatever reason, so everything she says and does is wrong. People are grasping at straws and are not even presenting factual information.

I have 4a hair and people bug me all the time asking why I don't wear my hair out in a fro :rolleyes:. if they have the time to detangle, co wash, put products, let dry and do it all again every morning, be my guest, but I know I would not retain much length that way, and trust me I would DEFINITELY be having some bad hair days. Also, my hair is very curly so to make it in a fro wouldn't really "work", cuz my hair kinda hangs downish. Sometimes, I wear weaves or canerow my hair if i know I'm gonna be busy for a while. I dunno, I think people are just putting all these UNREALISTIC expectations and rules on Tyra as misguided form of hatred for her. I don't understand the contempt. Yes, she can be extra and what not, but she is doing big things and discussing things in the mainstream that are ALWAYS ignored.

People have been raising concerns that white people will now judge them based on what Tyra says. I think it is a good thing to open up the eyes of white people to what we go through with our hair, our skin and our lives. Maybe it will create a dialogue, maybe it will make some more open minded. Some will be ignorant, while others may actually learn something. I just think people dislike Tyra so much, they are not at all being objective.

Last edited:

I'm so glad you said this, yesterday's show was infuriating I could barely watch..I was just screaming to the television screen "tyra you are wearing a wig right now!!!:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I'm so glad you said this, yesterday's show was infuriating I could barely watch..I was just screaming to the television screen "tyra you are wearing a wig right now!!!:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I speculated here yesterday that her cornrows were a lacefront and now that I looked at the show, I definitely think they are a lacefront. I do think however I remember seeing tyra's real hair once on her show. It was straight and slicked back in a ponytail and her hairline was really far back.

Not if your agency doesn't think that's the right "look" for you. Models don't get to pick how they look if they are under a contract. They can't make any changes without the agency's approval either. It's all about a look. Especially if they already have somebody who is doing the same thing with their agency. They don't want to have models with similar looks. I remember an agency telling one of the top model girls that on screen. That they already had a girl with a look similar to hers (brown skinned with a twa) so they probably wouldn't be interested in signing her at the time.

But Tyra is not a model anymore. She retired. Even if she is wearing wigs as a protective style, it doesn't answer why we never see her wearing her natural hair when she's out and about. If you're going to make a show about people accepting their natural hair then at least wear your own hair out once in a while. It doesn't have to be everyday or even every week, but I'm sure she could wear it out once every couple of months while she's out doing some shopping or something.

First i want to say Tyra is not natural she is relaxed, i've have seen her w/o the wig on TV and her hair is bone straight and thin. But since when was it that if your natural when you wear your (natural)hair out, it will have to be in a fro??? There are many different styles she could have worn. Tyra has a stylist, you are telling me they couldnt come up with anything besides some damn cornrows or an afo?:hammer:

And you ppl act like we are asking for her to wear her hair out EVERY single day..Who is asking her to wear her hair out everyday? But would it kill her to do so just once? I dont think so:nono: I have been watching Tyras show since it started and the only thing i remember seeing is wig, wig, fake bun, pony tail, & cornrows. She makes all these shows about loving your self and your "blackness" but all she wears are these blonde wigs with this fake asz baby hair:lachen:. And then i seen some ppl saying its damaging to wear your hair out, you ppl act like shes going to war:lachen:

I think the simple answer to why she doesnt wear her "natural" hair out is because she doesnt like it..i dont even think she likes natural hair.

First i want to say Tyra is not natural she is relaxed, i've have seen her w/o the wig on TV and her hair is bone straight and thin. But since when was it that if your natural when you wear your (natural)hair out, it will have to be in a fro??? There are many different styles she could have worn. Tyra has a stylist, you are telling me they couldnt come up with anything besides some damn cornrows or an afo?:hammer:

And you ppl act like we are asking for her to wear her hair out EVERY single day..Who is asking her to wear her hair out everyday? But would it kill her to do so just once? I dont think so:nono: I have been watching Tyras show since it started and the only thing i remember seeing is wig, wig, fake bun, pony tail, & cornrows. She makes all these shows about loving your self and your "blackness" but all she wears are these blonde wigs with this fake asz baby hair:lachen:. And then i seen some ppl saying its damaging to wear your hair out, you ppl act like shes going to war:lachen:

I think the simple answer to why she doesnt wear her "natural" hair out is because she doesnt like it..i dont even think she likes natural hair.

To be honest with you, we don't even really know the answer to that question. We are all speculating. The woman on the panel with the locs is a member of NP and she said Tyra is natural. She sat on the stage with the woman so I'd take her word over anybody on this board who watched it on tv. But really, we don't know the answer. To me, it doesn't make sense to continue to relax your hair if you're going to wear a wig all the time but everybody doesn't think like I do. She could be relaxed. I don't know. Also, her hairline or nape don't look bad like so many people have been posting. There were just pictures last week with her hair pulled up over in the ENT board and she is no Naomi Campbell.

And two, everybody keeps saying why didn't she wear it out, why didn't she wear a fro, a twist out, etc. Maybe she didn't know what else to do with it but braid it. In all honesty, I think she just snatched her wig off and went out there like that. But everybody doesn't like natural hairstyles period. I'm natural myself and there are a lot of them I don't like for various reasons. And everybody doesn't go natural for the same reasons. Like the girl who was undecided. I got the impression that she was being forced into being natural. Either that or be bald headed. Some people don't make a concious choice to do it so they're not comfortable. Also everybody hasn't gone through their "mental transition" yet. And based on what Tyra said at the end of the show, I could see that. If she is natural, she's not comfortable and secure enough to wear her natural hair out yet. But how is that different from anybody else? I see posts all the time about I can't BC because my head is shaped funny, I never had short hair, I'm afraid of how I'll look etc. What all that boils down to is people not being comfortable with being short and nappy.

And a lot of people even naturals don't realize there are more styles out there than a fro, twists, puff, locs, or braids. A lot of people come online to look at other naturals fotkis to get styles. Many black stylists won't even touch natural hair with a ten foot pole because they want you to get a perm. They want it as flat and straight as possible. And a lot of the natural salons that actually do styles charge an arm and a leg to twist, braid, etc. I see posts on this board asking if certain styles can be done (mainly about can rollersets be done on natural hair). A lot of people are just ignorant to natural hair in general because we're not used to seeing it or dealing with it.

Also, just because it is the Tyra Banks show it does not mean she is in charge. She even said at the beginning of the show, she has wanted to do a show about black hair for the last three years but wasn't able to. Y'all really think she put it on the back burner because she wanted to? She still has to answer to the powers that be just like anybody else on tv. That's why she lost all that weight. Those execs got on her behind. Whether she is still a model or not she is still selling a certain image and clearly that involves long glamorous straight hair and not short tightly coiled hair. It happens in Hollywood all the time whether you are a singer, actress, tv personality, etvc. She is not on Oprah's level where she can call the shots.

I could see her being afraid of damage during her modeling years, but now that's just not true.

She could wear all kinds of pretty natural styles. I'm not talking about just an afro or puff. She could have beautiful twists, twist outs, up dos, etc. She has access to stylists that do natural just like she hires someone to weave and lace her up.

Tyra is a beautiful lady, but until she practices what she preaches, I'm not buying what she's selling.

But Tyra is not a model anymore. She retired. Even if she is wearing wigs as a protective style, it doesn't answer why we never see her wearing her natural hair when she's out and about. If you're going to make a show about people accepting their natural hair then at least wear your own hair out once in a while. It doesn't have to be everyday or even every week, but I'm sure she could wear it out once every couple of months while she's out doing some shopping or something.

We've seen her hair before. She's even shown pictures on the show. I remember one day LL was on and they were talking about dont's and embarassing pictures and she showed her hair. She said her hair had finally gotten to a decent length and she wanted to wear it out but she ended up looking a HAM because she needed her color touched up. She had a lot of dark roots showing and was saying she shouldn't have gone out like that. Her hair was like a red/brown in the picture. It was about SL but it didn't look bad.

There was another picture of her with a fro on another show where she had to take out her weave and her stylist called out so she couldn't get her hair done. She had to go home with the picked out fro from having her hair in a weave for 3 months. She doesn't do it often but she has shown it. I don't count those cornrow pics though. She could have hair in there and she never lets them hang so we can't even see how long it is. She's probably addicted to weave like Beyonce is.

It seems to me whenever we catch her out and about in random shots, going to the gym, running errands, etc. she always has a rag on her head. Clearly that head isn't combed and she doesn't want anybody to see it. I don't think she's bald headed and obviously she doesn't have long hair either but with all the money she has and all the wigs she wears there's really no excuse for her to not have maybe decent SL hair. I do think her hair might be thin though. Obviously these are just my opinions and I'm speculating. But I mean why do we expect so much from her anyway? She's just an ex model turned talk show host. Do we want Oprah to wear a fro or twist out too? Oprah has had a show now for what 20 years and she's just become comfortable wearing her hair out in the past few years.

Last edited:
Girl, you read my mind! your post is so on point. I think what it all boils down to is this. People don't like tyra banks for whatever reason, so everything she says and does is wrong. People are grasping at straws and are not even presenting factual information.

I have 4a hair and people bug me all the time asking why I don't wear my hair out in a fro :rolleyes:. if they have the time to detangle, co wash, put products, let dry and do it all again every morning, be my guest, but I know I would not retain much length that way, and trust me I would DEFINITELY be having some bad hair days. Also, my hair is very curly so to make it in a fro wouldn't really "work", cuz my hair kinda hangs downish. Sometimes, I wear weaves or canerow my hair if i know it's I dunno, I think people are just putting all these UNREALISTIC expectation and rules on Tyra as misguided form of hatred for her. I don't understand the contempt. Yes, she can be extra and what not, but she is doing big things and discussing things in the mainstream that are ALWAYS ignored.

People have been raising concerns that white people will now judge them based on what Tyra says. I think it is a good thing to open up the eyes of white people to what we go through with our hair, our skin and our lives. Maybe it will create a dialogue, maybe it will make some more open minded. Some will be ignorant, while others may actually learn something. I just think people dislike Tyra so much, they are not at all being objective.

I agree with this whole post. She's almost up there with Beyonce. If somebody stole the sun out the sky, Bouncey did it. :rolleyes:

good question...you ever seen Beyonce rocking her real do! Nope! For the same reasons Tyra isn't rocking hers....public perception...although on the other hand...maybe she is protecting her real hair from being fried from all the flat-ironing and what not they have to do before going on the show....hmmmm!!!!

Beyonce has rocked her real hair as well..

beyonce_real_hair_3.jpg

&

46192_Beyoces_real_hair_omg_jpgec0750570b8ac85d793b18afecd8b4ff

Well Um Tyra has wore her natural hair out on her show. She did it for 'Backwards' Day for one of her episodes..instead of wearing a weave she wore her natural hair...wore her dress backwards. She even talks about folks thinking she is bald headed. Episode here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctc-ZE8uvFM&feature=channel_page

I saw that episode too and she had a hairline! Yes. No thin edges. Shoot there's people here on the board with thin edges. Why is it so far fetched to believe Tyra might have edges? The hair was up in a bun/ponytail thing though. She never wears it loose/down.

Beyonce has rocked her real hair as well..

beyonce_real_hair_3.jpg

&

46192_Beyoces_real_hair_omg_jpgec0750570b8ac85d793b18afecd8b4ff

These damn pictures again. :wallbash: These pictures are deceiving because of the angles. That second one when shown from another angle shows that it's a bigger messy bun on top her head. She wasn't out with a snatch back. And the first one - there was another shot that showed that the hair was pulled up in the back.

I saw that episode too and she had a hairline! Yes. No thin edges. Shoot there's people here on the board with thin edges. Why is it so far fetched to believe Tyra might have edges? The hair was up in a bun/ponytail thing though. She never wears it loose/down.

I think it just depends on the stylist and if the celeb cares. For example we all know celebs like Naomi Campbell couldn't care less about their hairline, therefore dont care how the wig is slapped on as long as it looks good. Beyonce and Tyra rotate to different phony pony hairstyles and thus need their edges. Thats my theory.

These damn pictures again. These pictures are deceiving because of the angles. That second one when shown from another angle shows that it's a bigger messy bun on top her head. She wasn't out with a snatch back. And the first one - there was another shot that showed that the hair was pulled up in the back.

And LMAO these are all i COULD FIND besides this one

Beyonce%2520Real%2520Hair%25202.jpg

You say that Tyra is relaxed? Could be. Well, I'm relaxed and I wear cornrows. Relaxed hair doesn't make her any less black, or less able to represent black hair.

If she were natural, would she really be required to wear styles other than cornrows? If I were natural, I would probably ONLY wear cornrows, because I don't like the way the other styles for short, natural hair looks.

Everyone, even Tyra, has a right to make choices for their own hair. And we should respect her right to wear her hair as she pleases.

I don't know why all of the Tyra hatred is going on. I think it's more jealousy than anything.

You say that Tyra is relaxed? Could be. Well, I'm relaxed and I wear cornrows. Relaxed hair doesn't make her any less black, or less able to represent black hair.

If she were natural, would she really be required to wear styles other than cornrows? If I were natural, I would probably ONLY wear cornrows, because I don't like the way the other styles for short, natural hair looks.

Everyone, even Tyra, has a right to make choices for their own hair. And we should respect her right to wear her hair as she pleases.

I don't know why all of the Tyra hatred is going on. I think it's more jealousy than anything.
:notworthy: @ the bolded:yep:. Afro puff and "natural" hair doesn't make you more "black". And thank you for calling it what it is...... jealousy.

These damn pictures again. :wallbash: These pictures are deceiving because of the angles. That second one when shown from another angle shows that it's a bigger messy bun on top her head. She wasn't out with a snatch back. And the first one - there was another shot that showed that the hair was pulled up in the back.
THANK YOU. People can't stand the fact that Beyonce, seems to "have it all", so they HAVE to find something wrong, hence the obsession with proving she's bald headed:yep:

Back