Curling and Flat Iron Damage Caused by Leave-Ins and Serums?

iprocrz108

Hello! Has anyone else noticed that the ceramic coatings are coming off of their curling and flat irons? I recently purchased a new ceramic curling iron (an upgrade from my ancient golden Hot Tools iron) and I discovered that the ceramic coating was coming off by the third use. Am I the only one experiencing this? I only curl/flat iron my hair once a week and I am currently using Salerm as a leave-in and Aveda Light Elements Smoothing Fluid as a serum/heat protectant.

Eisani

What brand did you purchase? With flat irons, you get what you pay for more often than not. If your budget allows, you may want to invest in an iron that has solid ceramic plates, not just a coating.

iprocrz108

Thanks for the reply. I purchased a CHI curling iron from Folica. Granted, my curling iron is not a flat iron but I thought that the problem I'm experiencing might be universal with ceramic coated appliances. I have not come across a solid ceramic curling iron but I will be on the look out.

What brand did you purchase? With flat irons, you get what you pay for more often than not. If your budget allows, you may want to invest in an iron that has solid ceramic plates, not just a coating.

Dposh167

the cheap ones can do this. I used to own a $25 gold plated iron...and after 2 months the gold would me off. I've had my solia for the last year and not a chip. like the poster above said....invest in a better one with actual ceramic plates. Its worth it. Sally's generic version of CHI is just as good IMO. i've had it for a while and it never chipped. i think i got it for 50

tgrowe

the cheap ones can do this. I used to own a $25 gold plated iron...and after 2 months the gold would me off. I've had my solia for the last year and not a chip. like the poster above said....invest in a better one with actual ceramic plates. Its worth it. Sally's generic version of CHI is just as good IMO. i've had it for a while and it never chipped. i think i got it for 50

I second this. A long time ago I purchased a Conair "ceramic" straightener (before I found this site) and I really did not like it. I bought a GVP ceramic iron (it's pink and cute, too) from Sally's for about $60 and love the results it gives. Of course I want to get my hands on that Sedu I've been reading about....